Author Topic: 1911  (Read 684 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« on: October 10, 2005, 12:43:42 AM »
Damn good guns!  After shooting a Les Baer 1911 today I may have to seriously consider this $1,700 wonder as my first handgun!  Amazing!

:)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 02:00:00 AM »
I've got my heart set on a Springfield GI 1911.

My needs are modest. :cool:

Best reviews of various 1911's
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 04:27:09 AM »
I was very set on getting a Springfield Mil-Spec or Loaded a while ago.  Inexpensive ($400-$600), but fairly reliable from what I've been hearing of other's experiences.  Some good sites to read up on 1911's:
Hilton Yam's Signature Grade- He is supposedly one of the better up and coming 1911 smiths.  Read some of his articles like the http://www.signaturegrade.com/sg/which1911.html.

The 1911 Pistols Home Page- Good site for tons of information on the 1911.  Kinda like the page Hangtime linked.  

The 1911 is such a beautiful weapon, feels nice in the hand.  Good luck!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:27:43 AM »
My son has a mil spec.  It is ok.   But just.... Ok..

I have a Kimber eclipse custom.   There is no comparisson.   The Kimber is worth every penny.   It is sitting by my coffee cup right now and, I am a revolver man.

Shot a les bauer and wilson combat... I would take either of those guns but the Kimber is a lot better deal.

Have about 5k rounds of factor and reloads through the gun and it is as tight as the day I bought it.  At 25 yards it shoots groups allmost as good as my 44 mags.   It is a gun that everyone seems to like to shoot.

lazs

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Re: 1911
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:17:55 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Damn good guns!  After shooting a Les Baer 1911 today I may have to seriously consider this $1,700 wonder as my first handgun!  Amazing!

:)

The FBI's Hostage Rescue Team used to use Les Baer's as their standard sidearm. However they discontinued this due to the almost constant care they require. I believe they now use an off the shelf .45 Glock model. Just something to think about before shelling out that kinda cash.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »
Grun
 What one did you shoot?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 10:36:22 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
My son has a mil spec.  It is ok.   But just.... Ok..

I have a Kimber eclipse custom.   There is no comparisson.   The Kimber is worth every penny.   It is sitting by my coffee cup right now and, I am a revolver man.

Shot a les bauer and wilson combat... I would take either of those guns but the Kimber is a lot better deal.

Have about 5k rounds of factor and reloads through the gun and it is as tight as the day I bought it.  At 25 yards it shoots groups allmost as good as my 44 mags.   It is a gun that everyone seems to like to shoot.

lazs

Damn good advice. At the $1500 price level; why dick around. Just get a Kimber, and you'll get what you expect... a superb match capable weapon that can also stand the rigors of constant use and remain utterly reliable.

On the other hand (it's why most humans were blessed with two as original equipment) if your budget taps out in the $500.00 range and your tastes run towards utterly reliable, high quality and repeatable accuracy, then the Springfied is the pick.

The problem is there's a huge number of $500.00 1911 makers out there. But not all 1911's are created equal. The Springfield is far more 'equal' than the other 400-600 dollar copies. It's just a better quality weapon than anything in it's price range and stands head and shoulders above most of the clones. And I like the trigger pull better than even the S&W which is the next gun 'up' in the price range..

I doubt I'll fire more than 300-400 rounds a year thru it, and my tastes are pretty basic.. point and shoot. I'm no long range pistol marksman, don't need purdy, shiney or classy.. just need a rock solid dependable shooter that'll drop a man sized close-in target in the blink of an eye without a whole buncha 'refamiliarization' with a 'different' weapon than what I originally learned on.

So for me, the Springfield represents what I'm lookin for... just a good, strong & utterly reliable well made weapon that feels and shoots right. Kinda what the 1911 was all about in the first place. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 10:49:34 AM »
Kimber is by far the most bang for the buck. You can't buy a base model Springfield and build it up to the Kimber level for the sam price. Colt is selling nothing but the name and even the name isn't worth much any more.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things from a buddy that owns a kimber.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 11:27:27 AM »
If I had money (****in college) I'd buy a Springfield 1911 the day I turn 21.

But I won't have money.  At least not for another 3 years.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »
Look up my thread on the Springfield I bought.

Brand new out of the box and it needed a new slide release, a longer barrel link and a new extractor.

Granted they did it all under warranty.

Fluke? Yea prolly but I have heard others with stories close to mine.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 11:50:51 AM »
That's good info Gto... have heard of odd issues with Springfield guns on occasion. I had a good friend that had an issue with a brand new one.. also was fixed by the factory N/C and overnighted back to him.

The two I've fired were crisp and accurate and the owners I've talked too all loved 'em.. even the guy with the chambering problem. The one I'm looking at is slightly used, and the owner's let be run 50 rounds thru it so far. Haven't even had a 'flyer' with it yet. I like it. We're shooting out his SP ammo now, then I'm gonna try ball and AP and see how it does. ;)

...at home, or abroad.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »
Oh now its a great little gun, a blast to shoot as well.

Nice trigger, and I like the porting.

Their customer service was very good too.

I just wish I had not taken them to WA state before my GF went insane and dumped me! lol.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 12:22:36 PM »
Know whatcha mean. My Uncles WWII 1911 was left with my brother when my kid was born. That mindless dolt 'lost' it in the intervening 20 years.

gawdamn, but that still pisses me the hell off every time I think about it.

The Springfield will make a nice replacement, I think. Maybe even a lil nicer, but still, it didn't ride in a P-51 or fly over Berlin. That weapon was history and represented to me all the great things my family did back in those days. Painful to think about it as 'lost'.

...at home, or abroad.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 12:33:25 PM »
hangtime..that is truly a brutal story..:   (   snif sniffle

this is mine..its baddazz