Author Topic: Crazed people of Isam vs Peaceful US?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Crazed people of Isam vs Peaceful US?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
I'm with Thrawn.

All potential allies and potential recipients of aid must be thoroughly examined by Miss Cleo to determing their true intentions now and 20 years into the future.

If our best telephone psychic clears them.. well OK then.

:rolleyes:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
Thank Udie, and easymo.  Toad, you will find sarcasm towards Thrawn lost, but good job.

Udie, I am glad a few got to read it and I am glad you liked it.  I am just a bit put off when someone takes something my wife and I put our hearts into and turns it into some other agenda far from the perspective it was posted from.
I do not know what Thrawn has done since the tragedy, but I know what my family has done.  My wife stood in line to give blood the night of the tragedy until 2:30am.  My son is in the Air Force, and I have been busy drumming up donations for the City of New York.
I released some anger, in the thread thanking Japan for its donation, towards some members of this community.  I was wrong for that.
I do not work for HTC, yet I know I am looked upon as a representative of HTC, so I need to curtail my expression on the BB of my thoughts and views.
I do not wish to feed others agendas, which only serve to distract us from what we need to be focused on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Negative, Skuzzy.

You are entitled to speak you piece on this board as much (or more so) than anyone else.

We all know you aren't an employee of HTC.

We also know without your support of the very idea of the game, without your expertise in your field and without your willingness to help anyone and everyone get the best connection possible... it wouldn't be as great an experience and game as it has become.

Speak your piece, Skuzzy. It's your right.

And your duty.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
LOL toad.  I called her.  She said even Cain got along with his brother for awile before he killed him.  Been that way ever since.  She said to get use to it.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
I post my oppions on this topic out of concern.  My wife and I have friends that are American and we care for them deeply.
As far what have I done, not much besides go to the memorial service on Parliment Hill and donate to a local charity, collecting money for disaster relief.  We are visiting some friends in Ithaca on Oct. 5, and it is my intention to give blood while there.  But the proof is in the pudding.  I'm not blaming the US for what has happened, I'm not a believe in linear causality.  However I think it is important not only to be reactive, but also proactive.  What circumstances lead up to the attack?  Can some be prevented?  This not a war that can ever be won.  As long as there are pychotics and people that despair to the point of feeling that they have no other recourse but to commit terrorist acts.  I believe that terrorists everywhere should be out and out killed.  However, I wonder if there also isn't way from stopping some of them from becoming terrorists in the first place.  I also believe that a policy of not alligning with, training, and arming  terrorist and dictators would help in reducing their numbers and/or their effectiveness.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
In a black and white world, that would be a good plan. What do you do in this gray one?

IE: The Northern Alliance... bound to have some folks in that outfit just as nasty as the Taleban. Heck, seems some of them switch sides as often as one changes socks. Might be just as bad or nearly so if they beat the Taleban and took over in Afghanistan.

So... do we support them or not?

Stay away in total?

Heard today that Afghanistan has about 30 days of food supplies in the country. Give them food? To which side? All sides?

Pretty clear the present ruling mob supports and succors terrorists. Even Miss Cleo says supporting the Taleban is out.

I have a call into Miss Cleo about the Northern Alliance/United Front, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

What to do, what to do.. gracious me.

I think I'll call Miss Cleo again right now.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2001, 12:35:00 AM »
Oh dang... one accidental click of the wrong mouse button and 20 mins of typing go right down the crapper. (Dunno what I'm more pissed at - the erase of it or myself for the fact that I spent 20 minutes typing a reply)  :)

Anyway - what I said, basically, was:

Thrawn, I think easymo was talking about you and Hotseat.

Also, I agree (to a point) that "skeptism of a goverment's actions, and questioning them, is part of a healthy democracy at anytime." It's only the "anytime" part I take a bit of issue with. Despite an interesting new wave of political correctness being embraced by many who would seem to be opposed to that sort of thing - now really *isn't* the time to lobby criticism at foreign policy or any such thing. It's akin to getting sucker punched in a bar and having yer pal ask only "are you absolutely *sure* you weren't checking out his girlfriend?" There will indeed be time for a deeper discussion on the issues surrounding this tradgedy - but in case anyone's thermometer is completely hosed, it aint the climate for it. Nor should it be. As a discussion it may be interesting, but anyone can be an armchair quaterback with 20/20 vision... and it doesn't change what occured one bit.

Indeed, what occured on Sept. 11th changes everything *else*... and what really matters is this point forward. Sure it's imperative to examine what lead up to it... but only to a certain extent I think. I mean, how deep do you want intellectualize the barbaric acts of *terrorists*? How deep *can* one one explore this? How much weight do you want to give these guys? In that light, (and not speaking about you Thrawn) the leveling of blame at the US for a terrorist attack is nonsensical to the extreme.

As far as what lies ahead (for those in favour of a peaceful process)...

This isn't a territory dispute. bin Laden doesn't want your CD collection or your Land Rover. He doesn't think his people are getting ripped off over unfair tarrifs on nuts and prunes. He has no desire to be a contender in the arms race. He simply wants to erradicate western culture. Is that too much to ask? Now how does one go about entering a dialogue with someone who's "win condition" is, well, your death? Nothing more, nothing less. What exactly is there to negotiate? Nothing. You cannot do it, yet to ignore it would be insanity, and incredibly irresponsible.

Ispar - I'm genuinely curious... What would be the Quaker view of this? Is assimilation into or anhilition by these people really prefferable to defence? If not, how does one go about a defence without mounting an offence in this case? If so, wow...

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2001, 07:03:00 AM »
Thanks guys for your input, I think I understand your points of view and I hope you understand mine.  Just one question.  Who the f$%^ is Hotseat?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2001, 07:04:00 AM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I think I understand your points of view and I hope you understand mine.  Just one question.  Who the f$%^ is Hotseat?

Offline JV44

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Hello....

Maybe I be wrong, but isnt it that´in Turkey exist a big sea with a damm and we are able to cut the whole middle east water off???   :D

Andreas (JV 44)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
"Guys like thrawn, and hotseat, over at ien, are a good reminder to us. If you are looking for a helping hand, look at the end of your own arm." - easymo

Hotseat is the guy working on Warbirds now.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
That "Peaceful US" sounds funny in conjuction with "Crazed people of Islam"

Consider all those homecides etc. in US and little wars in europe/asia.
and now that attack afganistan mentality..  peaceful.

dunno what really differs people that much.
I've seen muslims being quite peaceful themself too, when comparing to US.
Can't talk about extremists, terrorists though.
Remember that hijacks were made by relatively small group of people, whos crazed nuts.. nothing comparable to Islam than their biased thoughts of it.
Islam forbits killing of innocent people and their thoughts of Jihad are completely wrong.

Though, can't say that christians would be any better - remember the crusades and killing of indians in north america.
In both cases christians were thought to be the good side.
Christians have probably caused/been part in more wars than muslims during last couple centuries.

Nothing justifies terrorist attacks, but thou should also mind the facts (what Islam really is, not what terrorists thinks of it) and not be alike your enemy - terrorists.

Mind that terrorist attacks might also be just to enrage certain people, so they would become more anti-islam and attack.
Which would make terrorists feel more like fightning for the right cause.

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Fishu ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2001, 01:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu:
Christians have probably caused/been part in more wars than muslims during last couple centuries.

Yup, you were definitely right on this account.

Christians have been involved in a whole lot more wars than Muslims.

Then again, Muslims have been in a never-ending war since then beginning of time with Jewish people.

So if you are talking in terms of how long the wars have lasted, the Muslims take the cake.
-SW

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
Many of my countrymen take comfort in their religion.  For that I am grateful.  Beyond that, what the hell does religion have to do with anything?

I never once wondered what religion my target was.  This isn't about religion.  Its about pest control.  We have called the orkin man, and he is on the way over.  Our "rat" problem is being dealt with.

Stay focused people. Our enemy wants to give this a far grander design then it deserves.

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: easymo ]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
Then again, Muslims have been in a never-ending war since then beginning of time with Jewish people.

Actually, Wulfe, this is incorrect. 600-700AD doesn't qualify as the beginning of time, which is when Islam began as a religion  ;)  Also, Muslims and Jews got along quite well throughout history, and there were many times that European Jews fled to the Islamic world during medieval times to escape the pogroms and persecutions of Christians.  It wasn't until the formation of the state of Israel that Muslim-Jewish relations went south.
ingame: Raz