Author Topic: Proof from HTC that Hispanos are accurate. plz dont ignore  (Read 8954 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Proof from HTC that Hispanos are accurate. plz dont ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2000, 04:52:00 PM »
Good idea Karnak.  Couple that with a gunsight which can be expanded or contracted for range (like they've had in AW since forever) and there's no real reason to have true range data on icons at all  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2000, 06:50:00 PM »
Sorry guys, been flying P51 this tour, its the uber plane, 32/1 K/D ratio in it.  Next month I'm gonna fly Rams FW190 and get a 50 to 1 K/D ratio in it to prove its uber too.  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2000, 08:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Sorry guys, been flying P51 this tour, its the uber plane, 32/1 K/D ratio in it.  ^

If you fly to live, for sure, it is. In fact its the best arena plane, I've said it since I first came here.

But if you fly to live you will be very bored much of the time  

And dont worry, I highly doubt you can achieve something better than a 4 K/D in a fw190A5 (if you fly it to fight, that is)...wich is MY 190, btw, not the A8  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 12-16-2000).]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2000, 03:11:00 AM »
still don't see a film here of someone killin at 900+....

AKSKurj

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2000, 04:00:00 AM »
While I havent experienced any 900 yard kills on either end it seems to me that it would just have to be a luck shot, according to Shaws book/gunnery chapter you would have to have your nose at least 16 ft above the targert to overcome the gravity accelleration drop, in addtion the energy loss at range would be tremendous as would projectile sepatation, and with your nose that high and leading to boot I'd be surprised if you could even see the target

So the above 900 yard test leaves me wondering where the nose up attitude is or should be to get the kill? I know AH models the gravity drop as you can see the arc of the tracer fire.

Is Shaw wrong that with a muzzel velocity of 2880 you should see a 16ft drop in at one second out? Even at 300 yards and on 6 you should be aming about 5 ft above you target so 900 seems like a miracle shot to me and one that should seldomly occur.

Not sure what the weight is of the 20mm round in question but imparted energy should drop off much faster that mg's so it seems like pyhsics says you got damn lucky  

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2000, 04:50:00 AM »
i got film of straight up shooting where he scores damaging hits at 900yards.

Glunz

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2000, 07:17:00 AM »
Just to add something to the discussion.

If you happen to be under fire, you did something very wrong. No matter how strong or weak enemy guns are.

Work on your approach instead.

Consider a successful sortie the one where you landed kills and not a single shot was ever fired at you. Hispanos can have all the power in the world, but they are not dangerous until they start firing backwards from enemy blindspot  

P.S.
I really really really like Karnak’s “+/-“ idea.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2000, 07:39:00 AM »
Posted by Jekyll:

I wonder why the RAF bothered to put 40mm cannon on the Hurricane IID if their regular Hispanos could kill tanks in one or two passes?

Good question. Still unanswered, tho. During the last two months of fighting in Tunisia, No.6 Squadron's Hurricanes MkIID (40mm cannon armed) flew 115 sorties claiming hits on 26 Panzer IV (none destroyed) and 37 Panzer III (17 destroyed).

Source: "Aggressors: Tank Buster Vs. Combat Vehicle" by Alex Vanags-Baginskis, Rikyu Watanabe

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 12-17-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2000, 08:11:00 AM »

Originally posted by gatt:
Posted by Jekyll:
 Good question. Still unanswered, tho. During the last two months of fighting in Tunisia, No.6 Squadron's Hurricanes MkIID (40mm cannon armed) flew 115 sorties claiming hits on 26 Panzer IV (none destroyed) and 37 Panzer III (17 destroyed).

Source: "Aggressors: Tank Buster Vs. Combat Vehicle" by Alex Vanags-Baginskis, Rikyu Watanabe

And Beaufighters with 4x20mm hispano flew 35 sorties killing 3054 tanks, isnt it?  

<G,D,R>

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2000, 08:29:00 AM »
It looks like a concession for playability. I've red that also Typhoon's performance against heavy tanks in Normandy was disappointing. But what actually puzzles me is: "If a 2x20mm combination can open a tank, then what are they able to do against a plane?". In other words, is Hispanos over-lethality-against-armour effective also against planes?

Well, being often on the receiving end, I could say "yes", but I can be biased by my pride  

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 12-17-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »
HTC please dont ignore this stuff, dont you guys care? If you are busy with 105, then just say so. But not acknowleding this very reasonable discussion on chog Hispano performance seems wrong. Once again post something, anything, just to show you are hearing our concerns.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2000, 12:47:00 PM »
quote (paraphrased):

If you're too busy to say anything, just say so.

funked

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2000, 12:57:00 PM »
Grunherz, HTC have been over this topic several times before you started flying here, and I think they've said all they are going to say.  

In particular, read what Pyro said here:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum1/HTML/002456.html

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2000, 04:12:00 PM »
Hi

I saw that graphic before, what I see is a slightly bigger charge mated with a nearly identical shaped/sized warhead. The graphic is very nice but is it really enough evidence of chog Hispano killing power out to 900yds? What from the graphic proves that Hispanos killed tanks in 1 or 2 passes every time? Its just not a valid comparison, and now with Jigsters long range dispersion tests, we see that chog Hispanos seem much better/accurate at extreme ranges than the Hispanos on Spit or Typhoon. Again it just seems wierd that this one plane has such distinctive capabilities, even compared to others with "same" weapons.

thanks GRUNHERZ

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2000, 04:24:00 PM »
I've nothing against Jigster's test, I'm glad someone went to the trouble to do so, but if you look closely it's very arbitrary where you draw the circles.  Some are taking tracers on the way out (if you draw from gunpod obviously it's going to be a circle darn near the entire screen) and on the other end some are falling way past convergence.

It's closer than anything I've seen anyone else put up, but I think for true accuracy you need to fire at a backstop of some sorts and chart bullet strikes (maybe a custom terrain with cliff wall at end of runway?).