Author Topic: doughnut  (Read 7096 times)

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
doughnut
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2005, 03:32:17 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Well, that's pretty close, the Spit 1 has to get alot slower to out-turn an FM2. Is that with the stall limiter on? that would make a difference. I looked up the stats before I posted for the SPit V and Seafire never thought to check Spit1 as it's rarely ever flown. Also, is that the instantaneous or sustained turnrate, Fm2 has far better flaps than the Spits, that makes a HUGE difference, Spits don't actually really have manuevering flaps at all their flaps were made for landing primarily.

Zazen

Do you have the url for Kweassa's site?  It looks like a gold mine of information.

And also, does turning off the stall limiter increase turn rate, like turning off combat trim?

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
doughnut
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2005, 03:44:33 PM »
He was good enough to put it in a thread

A BIG to Kweassa

The Complete Aces High2 Fighter Turn Performance

Scroll down for more upto date data

Later All

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
doughnut
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »
Originally posted by lamebrain :
brits don't like to see other people have fun... it's... sinful or something. they certainly don't like to see people acting like (gasp) individuals!

wow!  u can tell he`s an american, full of the usual crap. :rofl

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
doughnut
« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »
Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+
Do you have the url for Kweassa's site?  It looks like a gold mine of information.

And also, does turning off the stall limiter increase turn rate, like turning off combat trim?

It's not a site, under Aircraft and Vehicles forum he posted a whole bunch of this kind of info. Just do  a search for posts by him.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
doughnut
« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2005, 06:40:52 PM »
Mars, I never intended you to think that you had a superiority complex --which is why I addressed the question to Lazs.

I know that sim, it is obvious, but this is a public board so I felt I could chime in...

I think, if there are  those that take offense at Lazs comments and names, they should relax a little.  Smac talk is a part of this game and these boards.  More often than naught, it is tounge and cheek.  Sometimes it is even deserving LOL.  IMO I think you know this so don't think I am directing this toward you, I'm not.

It's not like we are searching for a cure for cancer or heart disease.  Were old men and kids playing a computer game. :aok

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
doughnut
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »
That's exactly correct, you have lost the initiative, the fight is no longer under your control. You are now at the mercy of any and every plane that may choose to take advantage of your predicament. That is why getting low n' slow in a crowd is 'un-fun' to alot of people. There are no tactics to it, the moment you engage a plane in protracted turn-fight with a comparable rate of turn and begin the merry-go-round you are pulling your pants down and showing your bare arse to the world. If you are very good, of Leviathn calibre, you may be able to once in a while get away with this. He does so by virtue of the fact, if you watch films of him, he has incredible gunnery skill, so he can kill quickly allowing himself to remain vulnerable for only relatively short lengths of time. I have watched 50+ films of Leviathn in a variety of planes, one thing that impressed me right away was the fact that his flying skill was far surpassed by his amazing gunnery skill. But, even so, Leviathn, more often than not, does not get away with it. People like you or mars only rarely get away with it, as both of you have gunnery skill I would rate as abysmal to piss-poor at best.
LOL this is a good one, I couldn't read through the whole post but I enjoyed this part.

Zazen, Laz is right, you take the best and worst situations and then base your arguments from there and that is where you go wrong.  For all of it's crappy game play and predictability the MA is still dynamic and rarely the best or worst situation occur.  IMO if you fly even marginally safe you can pretty much keep yourself out of danger.  I just don't understand in a combat flight sim, why someone would want to do that.

As for hanging my arse out, for Gods sake I have to wag my tail at most cons in this game just to get the sheep to engage, so that is no big deal.

And Laz and Lev get away with it most of the time, not some of the time.

And my gunnery, it all depends on the day.  If I am fresh I'll hit most of the time.  If your going by score, well I shoot at GVs and Ack while scoring as a fighter so that is useless.  But I will agree with one thing, compared to Lev I can't hit the broad side of a barn and for that matter I can barely get wheels up LOLH :aok :D

I am no great stick like some of these guys, but I do understand what takes more skill to do vs other styles of play as I said above.  I don't have to be Lev to understand that. :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:57:32 PM by mars01 »

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
doughnut
« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
Sorry Zaren but I have to disagree

Have you looked at Kweassa's
The Complete Aces High2 Fighter Turn Performance

Flaps Plane (Stall Limiter) Seconds Speed Radius
No Flaps FM2 (0.05) 18 133 170.4
No Flaps Spitfire Mk.Ia (0.05) 17     117 141.5
Full Flaps FM2 (0.05) 18     100 128.1
Full Flaps Spitfire Mk.Ia (0.05) 17       97 117.3

But you should not need that to know the spit 1 will out turn it [/B]

why did he have the stall limiter on?
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
doughnut
« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2005, 07:14:56 PM »
Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+

Using stall limiter in aces high in a turn fight is like only being able to pull the stick 50% of the way back.

Fly with it off long enough, say a month. Then turn it back on. You will not beleive the difference. It is night and day.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
doughnut
« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2005, 07:20:34 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
why did he have the stall limiter on?
To minimize human errors while testing multiple planes... From Kweassa's thread:
Stall Limiter
1. Turn performance was tested with the Stall Limiter method, intended to minimizing human errors and disparities in individual skill level
2. Default SL angle is set to 0.05
3. For planes that cannot handle 0.05 due to various reasons (such as leading edge slats), an appropriate SL angle was used
4. Having gigher SL setting required for test, translates to the following fact:
 "The higher the SL angle required for testing, the higher the tendency to destabilize (particularly in the roll axis) when nearing the limits of performance."
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
doughnut
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2005, 07:27:40 PM »
I guess its the effort that counts.
Thanks.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
doughnut
« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2005, 10:00:37 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
LOL this is a good one, I couldn't read through the whole post but I enjoyed this part.

Ok, this is like the 10th time you've said this. We've been in a debate for a week, you've posted 23 times, some posts have cut n' pastes from 10 different posts with seperate replies, yet you can't be bothered to read 2 of the 3 paragraphs of my post? (my whole post was only 19 lines)  You instead choose to reply to the first paragraph taking what I say out of context, conveniently disregarding the 2nd two paragraphs which further enunciate my point? Either get a larger attention span or don't bother replying at all. ;) Just for the record I read each and every word of your and Lazs's posts even if it makes me dry heave with the sickening odor of presumtuous, arrogant, self-righteousness.

Zazen
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 10:07:41 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
doughnut
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2005, 12:25:16 AM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
Using stall limiter in aces high in a turn fight is like only being able to pull the stick 50% of the way back.

Fly with it off long enough, say a month. Then turn it back on. You will not beleive the difference. It is night and day.

Considering the caliber of pilot you are Morpheus, it is humbling to even get a reply from you.  :)

Thank you very much. :)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
doughnut
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2005, 12:59:26 AM »
Zazen, don't take this personally, as you know I've no personal beef with you, but many of your posts (even the ones I'm in agreement with) are about as interesting as drying paint. If it takes you 4 paragraphs to say something that isn't included in, or relevant to, the first paragrah, delete the ****ing paragraph(s) that's just filler. If I wanted long, boring, dry, pointless posts, I'd be in the O'club.

Anyhow, Mars is a mook yadda yadda yadda
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
doughnut
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2005, 09:34:15 AM »
yep... all I get from zazens posts is "blah blah blah  I am great... blah blah blahj blah.. hunter of men.... blah blah blah I don't kill unless the lamb is tied to the post or the deer at the saltlick blah blah blah... 30 years of experiance in flight sims... blah blah blah.... cherry picking is noble but I don't do it  blah blah blah..

It's not even that you go on and on and on so much as... that you don't know what you are talking about.  and...  some of us here played dos AW too..

What you do lacks variety... the guys telling you that are correct... get a fast plane and fly timid and you can be pretty safe...AH is built that way... a game where it is possible and probable that if you fly a typhoon say...  you will run into about 90% of the players who can't be any danger to you...

The furball is the only variety... it is the only way to stretch your SA and ability to judge e states and threat levels... you need to do as many as 10 planes at a time.   and... you don't have the time.  

The game is set up that the timid and griefers can make kills simply by chossing situation and plane...  that is their right... their money.   That's what you are and what you do... and it is fine... your money.. just don't get upset when we call you on it.

I have a lot more respect for the newbie who fights than the self proclaimed expert who won't.  

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
doughnut
« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2005, 10:10:50 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I have a lot more respect for the newbie who fights than the self proclaimed expert who won't.

Sounds like a tag-line but I agree 100%. I've seen guys new to the game in there fighting like mad dogs and getting waxed most of the time. I guarantee they are learning to "fight" more than the "vet" who just cherries all day.

All of us who furball have been there. We all got killed 1000 times and still do almost every sortie but we kill more than we die now. Just comes with time. Hang in there if you are new and furballing. You'll only get better, faster than most, with time. You have my respect as well.