Author Topic: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 will release on Steam  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 will release on Steam
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »
I will be playing after 7pm pacific

the thng I hate most about fps though, is l33t sniper kiddies that think it is cool to whack someone from across a map. from a hidden place. They are worse then pee-51s
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Red Orchestra Ostfront:41-45
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »
Anyone else gonna play tomorrow?

I'll most likely be Hawklore =).
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 08:29:54 PM »
Hey I am a sniper dweeb :p
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
I got to play RO:OF beta and it is much better than the MOD. It is not for run-n-gun people.....so if someone complains about camping, this game is not for you. Camping = proper defense which is a viable strategy.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006, 09:08:13 PM »
Originally posted by Pooh21

the thng I hate most about fps though, is l33t sniper kiddies that think it is cool to whack someone from across a map. from a hidden place. They are worse then pee-51s
Depending on a map, there can only be one sniper rifle for each team. Some maps don’t have sniper rifle at all. So unless sniper dies and someone else picks up his rifle, you will not have a bunch of snipers around. When I play as a sniper role, I keep particular area covered so my team can safely advance. That is how usually that role is played as.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 09:14:02 PM »
SimFreak reporting for duty. :cool:

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
Originally posted by Bruno
It comes out tomorrow, not Wednesday:

One thing though browsing the RO: OST official forums you see lots of WWIIOL players /ex-players which is not such a good thing imo.

For $22 USD its well worth it. I have played some of the beta using a friends key. I didn't care for the mod (too few servers, too many sit and camp players). I hate tanks / vehicles as well...

Overall though the potential is there for real fun as long as there's lots of diverse player types. If its the same 12 guys hiding and sniping it is about as much fun as those 'I fly smart players' in the main.

As for folks complaining about Steam I always wondered what their problems are with it? I haven't ever had any problem with Steam and I run all the beta versions. You can set Steam to load on start up or not, you can set each game to update manually  or automatic 'always keep my game updated'. You can back up steam to a disk or individual games. If your cpu crashes all you need is your Steam id and pw to download all the games you purchased. It doesn't take up any resources etc...

Just pure paranoia I suspect...

Anyway 2 o'clock eastern tomorrow RO: OST should be released. Sometime tomorrow evening I should be playing. If any AH'r is going to be playing and want to get together please post here.

Woot you just made my night... think Im coming down the with sniffles.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2006, 09:52:54 PM »
Cold day in hell when I voluntarily install steam...
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 10:24:32 PM »
Originally posted by Pooh21

It only bothers me if that's what everyone is doing. Snipers are a limited class (but so are the smgs) and riflemen can be just as boring as any sniper. Folks can play how they want but if that all the game attracts (read wwiiol folk) then it will be pretty boring overall. RO: OST is not as faced paced in terms of spawn and fight as some of the others, certainly not like DoD. The beta is ok, some fun fighting. No more 'tactical hand-held nukes' (grenades) and some other nice fixes / additions.

Should be a fun time...

Have you guys been to the official RO: OST site? You download the manual, keyboard etc...

Red Orchestra Downloads: Manuals

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »
As for folks complaining about Steam I always wondered what their problems are with it? I haven't ever had any problem with Steam and I run all the beta versions. You can set Steam to load on start up or not, you can set each game to update manually  or automatic 'always keep my game updated'. You can back up steam to a disk or individual games. If your cpu crashes all you need is your Steam id and pw to download all the games you purchased. It doesn't take up any resources etc...

Just pure paranoia I suspect...
I call BS.  It is a resource hog, and if you were part of the betas then you know about the times it wiped out entire hard drives.  Also the little problem with Valve not being able to secure thier own network.  Why would anyone trust them to do any better with this?
Paranoia?  I dunt think so.  I dunt even use a firewall or anti-virus program.  That's how paranoid I am.  I have seen what this sorry piece of software will do to a computer.  No thanks.

Cautious is a better term and more appropriate.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 11:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I call BS.  It is a resource hog, and if you were part of the betas then you know about the times it wiped out entire hard drives.  Also the little problem with Valve not being able to secure thier own network.  Why would anyone trust them to do any better with this?
Paranoia?  I dunt think so.  I dunt even use a firewall or anti-virus program.  That's how paranoid I am.  I have seen what this sorry piece of software will do to a computer.  No thanks.

I think you needs a smiliy which you created yourself. :noid

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2006, 11:42:32 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy

Steam has being running on my CPU for several hours 0% cpu usage, and 5 mb of memory in use, 8 mb on the expanded view. Wow what a hog...

As for Steam wiping hard drives folks said the same thing about wwiiol and Il2 and other 'games'.  

I had a steam account since Steam came out and never had any issue with 'security' and no one I know who has used or uses Steam has had one. The only time I heard of such things is when folks were duped into giving out there account info. I am as worried about my account info being hacked from HTC, or any of the other game subscriptions I have, as I am from Steam.

When I asked the question about 'what's the problem with Steam' I got the answer I expected. Nothing substantial just the same old 'steam' sucks. I don't want to sound like a Steam fan boi, because I really am not. It works as expected for me and many others. All you here from folks with an issue with Steam is 'it sucks'. I will save 'Cautious' for things like Starforce... :p

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »
Is the StuG III drivable?

reading the manual says it is, cool

dang I wish I could call in sick tomarrow. Guess I will go in early as hell, and hope for less then 110 stops.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 02:13:30 AM by Pooh21 »
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 07:00:49 AM »
Steam has being running on my CPU for several hours 0% cpu usage, and 5 mb of memory in use, 8 mb on the expanded view. Wow what a hog...

As for Steam wiping hard drives folks said the same thing about wwiiol and Il2 and other 'games'.  
If you were part of the beta tests, then you would know about the people who lost entire hard drives due to a bug in the code.  This is a fact and happened to many.

Also note, the task manager does not list DLL's and the amount of RAM they are using.  Resource hogs manifest themselves in many ways and most of them are hidden from the end user.

If you trust a company who cannot secure thier own network to provide a secure application, then that is your choice.  I will not entrust my computer to a company like this.  That is my choice.  However, people should know about a company who cannot provide basic security for thier own network when deciding whether they want to trust a network application from said company.

If you insist on using 'paranoid' then fine.  I would rather be paranoid than ill informed on the history of this product and the company who provides it.

I do not like to participate in discussions like this, but if you insist on painting an uninformed picture, then I will persist.  It is not in the interest of anyone to have truths covered up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:05:08 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 07:08:41 AM »
:noid