Author Topic: 109s seem nuetered now?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
109s seem nuetered now?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 08:59:08 PM »
Hehe -

I'm almost curious that when the 190s were released, so were the "XTRA LARGE TREES". I noticed then that when low to the ground - everything seemed slower - due to the scale of the terrain...the huge tress specifically

so I went and did some experimenting off line...

Currently the terrain tiles are 512x512pixels (don't hold me to this, been awhile since I messed with em)...

Anyway - I enlarged a few of them to 2048x2048 pixels for grins...I smoothed the color out and then added some grain to it. Stuck it on a terrain and did some flying around.

Down on the deck - 300 mph seemed fast....then as soon as you flew over a base which had the 512x512 tile...the plane came to a crawl...

The impression of speed was so much greater with the higher res - due to the fact that there was a "terrain change"(pixel) every 1.2 or so feet as compared to a change around every 5 feet in the AH world.

So I'm just kinda curious if people attributed this illusion of planes being slower due to the tree features being larger, and since the 190 was new, everyone was  trying it out and getting fooled by the terrain illusion...which would've made it seem slow - at least compared to the previous version.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 09:01:45 PM by Waffle »

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
109s seem nuetered now?
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »
So I'm just kinda curious if people attributed this illusion of planes being slower due to the tree features being larger, and since the 190 was new, everyone was trying it out and getting fooled by the terrain illusion...which would've made it seem slow - at least compared to the previous version.

To me the speed is relative in a fight.  Either I am fast enough or not.  I find a very shallow climb over 300mph leaves most aircraft behind in the Focke Wulf.  

Seems more to do with AoA you can pull.  No matter what the speed or how gently the AoA is changed it is restricted severely.

Today I flew an La 5 against a very good pilot in the FW190.  It was Child’s play to stick with him the vertical.  In fact my biggest problem was bleeding my excess speed and I fought with my throttle reduced for much of the fight.  The FW 190 started with an energy advantage but I was able to follow him up too close for him effective reverse in the first zoom after reversing 180 at the merge.  After that there was nothing he could do to shake me.  

I then flew around on his six till I got bored so I exploded him.

It was not like that before.  Flying the FW190 I could maneuver with La5's as long as I did not let my speed drop too much.  

All the best,

Crumpp
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 09:14:07 PM by Crumpp »

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
109s seem nuetered now?
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2005, 02:06:39 AM »
always remember this :)

She (La-5) was a superlative low-to-medium altitude air superiority aircraft, excelling in close combat and the master of any Messerschmitt Bf 109 or Focke Wulf Fw 190 in such a dogfight.

Ladislav Valousek, Czech La-5FN pilot

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
109s seem nuetered now?
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 07:46:55 AM »
She (La-5) was a superlative low-to-medium altitude air superiority aircraft, excelling in close combat and the master of any Messerschmitt Bf 109 or Focke Wulf Fw 190 in such a dogfight.

These pilot anecdotes kill us.

Luftwaffe evaluations recommend avoiding prolonged turning engagements against the La5.  They point out the FW-190 is superior in the high speed turn, zoom, and dive.  

They recommend not letting your speed drop below best climb, if it does, shallow dive out and zoom up to regain position for reattack.

The Luftwaffe reccomendations say nothing about avoid dogfighting the La5.  Many FW190 pilots were very successful against the La 5 series, Emil Lang for example:

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/lang.html

I have some guncamera footage of an La5 vs FW-190 dogfight.  See if I cannot dig it out.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
109s seem nuetered now?
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 09:11:26 AM »
sounds like the same thing to me -

luftwaffe reccomends avoiding prolong turns with la5...and pilot dude says the la5 is superior to in close combat.

'bout he right eqaution...but I'm sure we can skew it one way or another :)

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
109s seem nuetered now?
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2005, 10:09:33 AM »
luftwaffe reccomends avoiding prolong turns with la5...and pilot dude says the la5 is superior to in close combat.

Avoiding prolonged turns is NOT the same as avoiding close combat.  Nowhere in the Luftwaffe's recommendation does it say avoid dogfighting with a La5.

As the test pilot from the RAE commented, "Turning does not win Air to Air engagements".

but I'm sure we can skew it one way or another

WTF is that supposed to mean?  The data is in black and white.

The La5 pilot opinion is valid from his point of view.  The FW 190's pilot’s opinion is equally valid from his point of view.  Neither pilot "avoided" close combat.

Problem is when readers take a pilots opinion as absolute fact and make one sided judgements based off of them.  Statements like:

Which is purely pilot opinion based off confidence in his aircraft.

OR

I feared no fighter I could see in my Focke Wulf

Only tell us that these aircraft were competent designs that in the hands of a trained pilot could master their opponents.

While the majority of air engagements in WWII were of the ambush type, to claim one side was only limited to such victories is pure bunk.  Dogfighting occurred on both sides.  Interesting fact is that when it did occur victory ratios tend to be very even regardless of aircraft type.  Position tends to have much more of an effect on a fight than aircraft performance.  Sweeping claims of "my fighter met yours equally in a dogfight and totally destroyed them" do not bear out when the details are examined.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
K4 same as g10??? huh?
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2005, 10:43:07 PM »
Finaly It always amazes me, how people clame things changed, with the 109s this version none of there performance changed. The 109k4 perfomes exatly like the 109G10 did.
 HiTech

well something has changed like the spit 5 it could never climb with me before in a g10/k4 or for the first 2 days of the patch ... NOW IT CAN same with the zekes and the spit 16 why is that?..  perhaps the 109 k4 still has the same model as the g10  but something has  changed somewere

my point is quite simple spits and zeros cant climb with a K4.

but now sudenly like magic they can .
Say what you want, but its happening, never did before the patch

or in any other sims ive flown. The K4 out climbs it all

why would there be all the posts about it if people didnt see it happening?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 10:53:52 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline syncrII

• Zinc Member
Re: K4 same as g10??? huh?
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2005, 04:38:55 AM »
[well something has changed like the spit 5 it could never climb with me before in a g10/k4 or for the first 2 days of the patch ... NOW IT CAN same with the zekes and the spit 16 why is that?..  perhaps the 109 k4 still has the same model as the g10  but something has  changed somewere

my point is quite simple spits and zeros cant climb with a K4.

but now sudenly like magic they can .
Say what you want, but its happening, never did before the patch

or in any other sims ive flown. The K4 out climbs it all

why would there be all the posts about it if people didnt see it happening? [/B][/QUOTE]

Moin

You say a zero can climp with a K4 :confused:  sorry i never saw this
And a spit16 you are right .it can be a hard target but be sure the k4 climps better. Mostly i fly the k4 and mostly i have a problem to follow the enemys not because im to slow because im to fast.
You are right if you say there have changed something because the k4 feels more better as the g10 i dont know how to explain but my K/D rised with this plan. Mybe it is because i only fly the k4 with out DT.
Top speed is for me ok. A Tempest on the deck did have trobel to extend from my K4.
I dont know how but i love this K4 more than the old g10. I hered a lot about that there is nothing changed. But there must be somthing. I feel god and realy save in this plan "nearly unbeatable;) ".
Mybe it is only the name K4 sounds more stronger than g10 i think lol.

cu chris3