Author Topic: Corsair & Hellcat in Mediitteranean theater.  (Read 3370 times)

Offline agent 009

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Corsair & Hellcat in Mediitteranean theater.
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
So 12 met 190 A. But remember, there were still more Mk 9 Spits flying round in 45 than there were MK 14 Spits. So Dora & Mk 9 & 14 Spit comparisons very relevant.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2005, 05:20:31 PM »
Originally posted by agent 009
So 12 met 190 A. But remember, there were still more Mk 9 Spits flying round in 45 than there were MK 14 Spits. So Dora & Mk 9 & 14 Spit comparisons very relevant.

How many D9s around from October 44 to the end?  How do their numbers compare to 190A and F series birds during that time frame?  Is the ratio about the same as Spit 14s to IXs and XVIs?

The relevant comparison for the D9 is the Spit XIV and the Tempest.  The Spit LFIX and XVI were being employed much more as ground attack birds at that point.

And if you are going to argue Spit IX to D9 comparison then XIV to 190A would be reasonable too.  But thats kinda silly when you think about it as the XIV and D9 really are the contemporaries in that Spit-190 relationship.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2005, 05:22:30 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
I imagine that was due to the Griffon powered Spit XIV  taking over for it. Needless duplication. That and the Jabo threat in S. England had largely disappeared by that date, the fighting being on the Continent since 6-44. That being said I could have seen the XII soldiering on untill wars end, especially on 150 octane, but I guess they had their reasons.

Basically because it was purely a stop gap version and the LFVIII, IX and XVI were performing the same role.  Essentially the XII was the first of the medium alt to low alt Spits.  And as I imagine the production lines for the IX etc were much more up to speed, it was easier to stick with the more proven Merlin 66 and work on developing the Griffon 60 series XIV.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2005, 07:10:09 PM »
How many D9s around from October 44 to the end? How do their numbers compare to 190A and F series birds during that time frame? Is the ratio about the same as Spit 14s to IXs and XVIs?

The Dora's became the predominate FW-190 series fighter variant in the Luftwaffe although it is possible to find FW190A8/A9's serving as fighters until the end.

In December of 1944 we start to see a significant number on the Western Front.

http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/jagd/bijg2.html

http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/jagd/biiijg2.html

http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/jagd/bijg26.html

http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/jagd/biijg26.html

http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/jagd/biiijg54.html

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2005, 08:05:12 PM »
So for the most part the D9s were the interceptors like the XIVs, while the A/F/G models were used more in the ground attack role as the IXs and XVIs were?  Both being able to defend themselves, but not their primary role.

And the D9, like the XIV never really was there in huge numbers but enough to make it's presence felt

Is that a fair assumption?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2005, 08:49:29 PM »
So for the most part the D9s were the interceptors like the XIVs, while the A/F/G models were used more in the ground attack role as the IXs and XVIs were? Both being able to defend themselves, but not their primary role.

Generally speaking, Yes that is correct.  G series production ceased however and was incorporated into FW-190F series.  

FW-190A8 production ended in January 1945.  The FW-190A9 was produced from Sept. 44 until Feb. 45.

And the D9, like the XIV never really was there in huge numbers but enough to make it's presence felt

A statement which true for the entire Luftwaffe.  In comparision with the combined allied airforces there was not enough of the Luftwaffe to make its present felt much less a single type.

I will dig through my documents to give you some facts before I make any exact claims.  It was produced in surprisingly large numbers, around 1800.

How does the Spitfire Mk XIV numbers compare with the rest of the Spitfire Squadrons in the RAF?

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
There were 957 Spitfire Mk XIV's built in total.  I don't know how Spitfire Mk XIV squadrons there were in comparison to the whole of RAF Fighter Command though.

All the numbers I have ever seen for the Fw190D-9 say about 700 were built.  An 1100 airframe difference seems odd.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2005, 10:28:48 PM »
All the numbers I have ever seen for the Fw190D-9 say about 700 were built.

That is because the much of the C-Amt's is missing.

Focke Wulf, Cottabus alone produced 720 FW-190D9's.  There were 5 other plants producing them.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2005, 10:34:46 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
So for the most part the D9s were the interceptors

I would say D9 kept as air superiority fighter while A8 and A9 kept as the real bomber interceptors. D9s were also commonly used as top cover over the 262 and Arado airbases. Other Doras (not D9) were really designed as bomber interceptors with heavy armament comparable to that of A8 and A9, but not D9.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2005, 10:44:34 PM »
Would it be safe to characterize the 190D as the Jimmy Durante of second world war aircraft?

Offline agent 009

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2005, 11:46:49 PM »
1700 Dora's built.

& here are a few maneuvers which use airelons, which 190 would be good at me surmises. Crump, your thoughts?

Dang, diagram didn't come through.

What is a Cuban Eight? I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Oh, alright, I give in. Here is a diagram I have drawn for you. At the bottom, I will describe the manoever step, by step.

1) A/C is straight and level
2) A/C is dived to increase speed
3)A/C is leveled off
4)A/C is climbed at 45 degree angle
5)A/C is pulled over onto its back
6)A/C is dived inverted at a 45 degree angle
7-8) A/C is half rolled to upright
9)A/C is pulled back to level
10)A/C is climbed at 45 degree angle
11)A/C is pulled over into inverted flight
12-13) A/C is half rolled upright
14)A/C is brought to straight and level

As you can see, the manoever describes an "8" laying on its side. Done just right, the aircraft will pass through its own wake twice as it recrosses its path in the middle. Nice.There are also variations to this manoever. There is a "Half Cuban 8"  which describes just one of the "8" loops (This was basically the manoever Wolfgang Spate was describing as the ME 163 attack profile from a steep climb). Also, there is a fun thing called a "Reverse Cuban 8" where the A/C is initially pulled up to begin the manoever, then half rolled at the top to produce the same figure 8 but with exactly every action reversed.

You're lucky; I normally charge $55.00/hr for aerobatic instruction, but you're getting it for FREE!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 11:51:40 PM by agent 009 »