Author Topic: Why old women need to carry a gun  (Read 1805 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Why old women need to carry a gun
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 11:57:39 PM »
Firearm registration?  What's that?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 12:12:52 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
Firearm registration?  What's that?

It's ****ing stupid, that's what it is.

Every legally owned gun in Canada has to be registered.  Projected cost of feel-good-bull****-do-nothing-to-stop-crime project was $119 million.  Actual cost has been $2 billion.

There has been a fair bit of civil disobeidance over it, hence the massive cost overuns.  And oh yeah, But I except most Canadians to eventually fall in line like good puppies.  At least we put thoughts of having a mandatory identity card here out of our politians minds for the time being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_gun_registry

"Statistics Canada data show that Canada's total violent crime rate fell 2 per cent last year, and has been in decline since 1992. This same data show that the national homicide rate increased 12 per cent to 622 victims last year, after hitting a 36-year-low in 2003."

Haha!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 12:16:56 AM by Thrawn »

Offline scspook

• Copper Member
      • The Skeleton Crew BBS
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 01:39:44 AM »
A dogs olfactry (sp?) is 150,000.00 times that of a human.

A can of Oleoresin Capsicum spray would have done the same thing.

Hard to shoot yourself in the foot or anyone else with that.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 03:44:11 AM »
I'm trying to picture the scene, all those years ago, as I wheeled our riding mower out of the garage, across the pebble driveway and up two wooden ramps that I used to get it onto the lawn, then went back for the seat, carried it across and hitched it up. I'd check the oil and add petrol, and put the petrol can back in the garage. Pulling on the recoil start, I'd bring the engine round till I could feel the compression, then ease the recoil start back in ready for the big pull. Choke set, throttle set... and just then, Dad would come running out of the house with a gun and holster. "You must strap this on, or you won't be safe!", he'd shout. Oh yeah, I'll put that on right away, Dad - just in case next door's labrador attacks me. :lol

Keep these articles coming, guys! I find that Ameritard paranoia is one of the funniest things on this board! :rofl

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 04:15:14 AM »
An old woman is more likely to shoot herself in the hip or a bystander if she tries to fire on a fast moving dog in a panic. The correct solution to the problem is to force the owners of attack dogs / any large canine to leash the dogs when outside or cage them. There's absolutely no reason why an attack dog should be left to run unleashed in a housing enviroment.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 04:18:57 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 04:51:59 AM »
But Ripley, don't you know - a gun is the solution to... everything! :aok

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 05:15:08 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
It's ****ing stupid, that's what it is.

Every legally owned gun in Canada has to be registered.  Projected cost of feel-good-bull****-do-nothing-to-stop-crime project was $119 million.  Actual cost has been $2 billion.

There has been a fair bit of civil disobeidance over it, hence the massive cost overuns.  And oh yeah, But I except most Canadians to eventually fall in line like good puppies.  At least we put thoughts of having a mandatory identity card here out of our politians minds for the time being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_gun_registry

"Statistics Canada data show that Canada's total violent crime rate fell 2 per cent last year, and has been in decline since 1992. This same data show that the national homicide rate increased 12 per cent to 622 victims last year, after hitting a 36-year-low in 2003."

Haha!

Thrawn, it may not be any consolation to you but the Canadian exsperience with universal gun registration was a big help to NZ shooters rights groups in convincing the NZ government not to go down the same path.

The govt had the legislation written and ready to be made into law and they were determined to introduce it, but they couldn't figure out how to make it work and not have the problems Canada was having ie a blow out in costs and a high level of non-compliance by gun owners.

Excel

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 05:38:49 AM »
Wikipedia: and that it was only a step on the way to the confiscation of all guns in Canada.

Rofl what retarded rhetoric they're using. Welcome to visit Finland where every firearm has to be registered and has been for decades. Hobby shooting is still alive and well, so is hunting. Nobody I know has ever complained about the need to register. The mandatory registration just means that every tardling does not own a firearm as it takes a bit of work in order to get one. Currently only the people who have real interest or need for weapons own them. If you got a violent criminal record it's hard to impossible to get a permit. Which is good.

Naturally the criminals still get guns.. Chinese machine guns etc. The difference is that they're very rare and the consequences of using one in a crime are hard. I've never seen anyone carry a weapon in public let alone having anyone at gunpoint. The police does carry here unlike in UK.

If you want to own a hunting rifle you need to pass the hunting permit test with animal recognition etc. requirements. After getting the license it's possible to buy any hunting caliber rifle or shotguns. Full auto weapons require proof of a hobby-type involvement or membership in some military organization. In any case if a person has a clean rep and the will he can register and buy a full auto assault rifle even here. Again it's hard, requires work and your average Joe will not go through the process. That means that a few thousand people with hidden mental disorders will not be shopping for one anytime in near future.

Although I fully support the registration the current system in Finland is really over the top. The criminal is more protected here than the average consumer. It is not allowed to use any weapon to defend yourself basically in any situation. This has lead to prosecution of shopowners who shot and wounded BnE assaulters etc. Now THAT sucks.

But this really has nothing to do with the requirement to register - this country is just nannying the criminals in an unbelievable way. This is far worse a problem than any gun restriction.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:52:31 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 06:12:34 AM »
Hysterical. So the neighbor's got 6 fighting dogs poorly contained, and the solution is to arm granny when she mows the lawn? Oh yeah, and arm the guy who wanted to save her, so he can fire into the mass of little old lady and dog? I assume all grandmas should carry a two-way radio just in case the neighbor and his buddies get drunk and start shooting at her while she's weeding the daisies. Then all she needs to do is duck behind the planter and call in a nine-line, bill it COD please? As long as the CAS stack isn't tied up dumping FAE's on crack houses, she should be okay, right?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 06:18:17 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

Keep these articles coming, guys! I find that Ameritard paranoia is one of the funniest things on this board! :rofl

I can assure you they are not as hilarious as the wear and tear, kneepad responses we get out of you while you bow before the queen. Do you get all giddy when you here the snap as she straps one on for ya? You`ve allready assumed the position. She`s just using it to the advantage. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2005, 06:25:06 AM »
Maybe yuropeans like to think they're more parts of a society instead of lone-shark rebels such as you gun-touting crowd.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 07:27:43 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Maybe yuropeans like to think they're more parts of a society instead of lone-shark rebels such as you gun-touting crowd.

Yea, pawns. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »
Whatever you wish to think Jackal. I for one am _happy_ I don't need to own a firearm. We don't even lock our front door for the night many times even though we live in the city.

Basically speaking if the need for owning a gun would arise one day, I would have no trouble to get one.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 07:43:44 AM »
"Weldon Smith, of Rockdale, tried to help Stiles and and was bitten on his leg. He ran to alert the woman's husband, Jack Stiles, who was inside the couple's home at the time of the incident. Jack Stiles retrieved a gun and fatally shot one of the dogs, The Eagle reported."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2005, 07:50:24 AM »
Originally posted by Dinger
I assume all grandmas should carry a two-way radio just in case the neighbor and his buddies get drunk and start shooting at her while she's weeding the daisies.  
:rofl

Jackal! You don't know what you're talking about!! I am not tied to this country. I can go and live in any of the other 24 EU member states without so much as filling in an application form. :p Two of my leading choices do not have monarchies, so I am not tied to a king or queen in any way. Just thought I'd point that out before you step in it once more. :D