Author Topic: Myth or fact > F8F  (Read 14358 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
That sounds very much like the schism between the US Army and US Air Force over the A-10.  The Air Force wants fast, high, sexy high tech aircraft and the Army wants to be supported.  I have a friend who was a tank commander in the US Army in the late '80s/early '90s and he has scathing things to say about the Air Force persistantly trying to get rid of the A-10, but not allowing the Army to have them because fixed wing aircraft are the domain of the Air Force.

Nothing ever changes.

Marines are much smarter, they make sure they dont have to depend on the Air Force and bring their own air support. :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 09:19:54 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Marines are much smarter, they make sure they dont have to depend on the Air Force and bring their own air support. :)

One Marin was telling me a joke that went something like this:

If you need air support, call on a Marine to give it to you.  If there are no Marines available, call the Navy.  If the Marines and Navy are not available, call an Allied Air Force.  If none of those are available, figure out how to do it without air support.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 09:35:04 PM »
Im sure that without the legal protections that are enshrined enough in US Law regarding the USMC, that the USN would have gotten rid of the Marine Air Wings long ago, and folded that up into their own service.

Crummp, ya thats right I recall they sent a few over.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 09:40:03 PM »

Udet actually kept one as a personal plane.  He love it.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 10:02:03 PM »
Originally posted by Squire

Only 2

It was in a Hawk II that American Len Povey, the commander of the Cuban AF, flew the first Cuban Eight at the Miami air races in 1936.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 10:12:33 PM »
Look,  Milo wants attention.

Two is a few in my book.

All the best,

Crumpp
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:21:02 PM by Crumpp »

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 10:37:02 PM »
The N1K2 Shinden, which is also a similar looking design I think would have been close in performance to the F8F had the type not had to rely on 1945 Japanese fuel.  It certainly would have been a 400mph class fighter, and even as it was, had a good reputation. It was undoubtably the IJNs best WW2 fighter (Ki-84 being IJAAF).
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2005, 11:17:53 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
One Marin was telling me a joke that went something like this:

If you need air support, call on a Marine to give it to you.  If there are no Marines available, call the Navy.  If the Marines and Navy are not available, call an Allied Air Force.  If none of those are available, figure out how to do it without air support.

LMAO...yeah, I've heard that one. My dad was a Marine A-4 pilot...you dont want to get him started on the  Air Force. :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005, 01:42:53 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
The N1K2 Shinden, which is also a similar looking design I think would have been close in performance to the F8F had the type not had to rely on 1945 Japanese fuel.  It certainly would have been a 400mph class fighter, and even as it was, had a good reputation. It was undoubtably the IJNs best WW2 fighter (Ki-84 being IJAAF).

Hrm... You see, I've heard the exact OPOSITE. The N1K was horribly unreliable with both engine and landing gear. It also had a cowling designed to be aerodynamic so the prop was connected to the engine via a shaft, which further increased engine problems.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005, 04:00:26 AM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
Look,  Milo wants attention.

Two is a few in my book.

All the best,

Crumpp
LOL your book.  :eek: More myths will be created. :( You had better hire a ghost writer for you still are having trouble with English I see Crumpp. A couple is two. A few is a small number more than two.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2005, 06:00:43 AM »
Didn't the A6M also have a whole spar wing running through the underside of the fuselage? Weight saving yet strong.?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2005, 06:20:11 AM »
LOL your book.  More myths will be created.  You had better hire a ghost writer for you still are having trouble with English I see Crumpp. A couple is two. A few is a small number more than two.

Why don't you just put me on your ignore list Milo?

All the best,

Crumpp

storch

Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2005, 06:33:38 AM »
Originally posted by MiloMorai
LOL your book.  :eek: More myths will be created. :( You had better hire a ghost writer for you still are having trouble with English I see Crumpp. A couple is two. A few is a small number more than two.
pot meet kettle.  in your sig line that should be too as opposed to, to.  idiot.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2005, 08:17:05 AM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
Why don't you just put me on your ignore list Milo?

Do the same with me so we don't have to read your sarcastic remarks.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Myth or fact > F8F
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »
Widewing,

Meyer has always maintained the similarity of performance of the F6F and F4U. However the NAVAIR and TAIC don't really show what he describes. In fact all of the Grumman factory climb results are much higher than the tested results which makes me suspicious of Meyers claim about the speed and climb of the XF6F-6.

Do you know of any published results for the bird that do not come from Grumman? I can't find anything that shows faster than 425MPH and most sources say 417MPH.