Author Topic: why do you play  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
why do you play
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »
Originally posted by Shaky
Ya, well GE, ya better get yer bellybutton up with me, fencer & boozer, on one side of the gunsite or the other :aok

GE, come join us in the 4th FG!  Here's Boozer's contact:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=7546

That is great that you are going to get into AH.  It is a blast!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
why do you play
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 05:04:45 PM »
Oh, and as for why I fly here.

I have loved airplanes from the time I was a little kid.  When I was old enough to appreciate WWII history, I started reading accounts of WWII pilots and dreamed of being able to fly those planes.  Many years later, in 1987, the world's first multiplayer air-combat sim became available -- Air Warrior -- and I was amazed and enthralled.

I got heavily involved in Air Warrior, and after its demise in 2001, looked around and researched the best multiplayer WWII air-combat sim, and concluded that Aces High was the best.  Also, I am very interested in scenarios, and Aces High has a good and growing scenario aspect.

These days, I still love WWII aviation and history.  I like flying in the main arena because, even after so many years of on-line flying, it is still a blast; because I like many of the people in the game and the community; and because the main arena is a good place to keep your skills up for scenarios.  Scenarios are my favorite.  For me, flying in scenarios gives the same feel as reading accounts of WWII action.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
why do you play
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 05:05:45 PM »
i get asked all the time how i came to play this game...here it is.

my ex started playin this game back in march, one day he left it on when he went outside and i sat down and was playin round and shot my first person down. from there on out, i played while he wasn't and watched him play. the more i played....the more addicted i got to the game. then he left the beginning of april. he got the big screen and i got my puter...and the AH account :D

i never played a flight sim before, and this is an awsome game, i have made many friends, as well as enemies, but too all my friends on here...<<>>

what more can i say..................

HI, I'M BETTY AND I'M ADDICTED TO ACES HIGH

~betty~
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
why do you play
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 05:18:53 PM »
We all play for the same reason, to be a Winner:aok

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
why do you play
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 06:09:54 PM »
Damn, I forgot Brooke! Sorry man :o

Why I play this sim? Well, like most others, I've always had an interest in WWII aviation, read tons of books, went to more than a few air shows, all that stuff. Played all the early "sims", though my first was "F15E Strike Eagle" for the C64.

In spite of that, there was always something about the "roar" of a WWII warbird that shook me all the way down to my 'nads, leaving me staring in slack jawed wonder as a B17 or a Mustang went by overhead.

One day, while on GEnie, I stumbeld across the AW boards. From there I was hooked. I had months of $500+ credit card bills..hell, maxed the damn thing out before I was forced to moderate my time. During that time, I was found by QT and the Hams and invited to join. At about the same time, I became an AWTA trainer, which paid my GEnie bill and eliminated the biggest obstacle to flying...sims that is. During this time I also grabbed my priate pilots SEAL rating, and put about 20 hours towards an instrument rating before cash flow problems caled a halt to that.

I followed AW to CRIS and DELPHI, though I didn't stay at the latter long, and became a Trainer on AOL as well...paid the bills :) I "guided" in a few other games there as well.

AW went to the web, and I followed there too, first in the alpha, then the closed and open beta (I htink I was in the alpha....memory fades). AW started to die after EA got their claws in it, and I sort of faded away shorly before its ultimate demise.

One day I stopped in here, and though the signal to noise ratio was much lower, I still heard some of the familar banter from the old days. I signed up, took to the air, and have been struggling to get better every day of the past 2-3 months . There's still the old thril of working to saddle up, though I still can't hit watermelon when I do, but this too shall pass.

Till then, I'll still picture myself looking over to my wingman, giving the old "thumbs up" as we push the throttles forward, and wave to the happy coolies toiling in the paddies as we once again lift off to to battle in the rising sun.
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
why do you play
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »
Put simply, after all these years....I still find dweebs entertaining. Oh....HIYA Shaky. :D

GE...

TC told me you were coming to AH. Looking forward to seeing you. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
why do you play
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 06:27:59 PM »
Yup...self admitted dweeb here...but I had standards...

I was never a SPIT-DWEEB! (currently manifesting as a LA Dweeb)
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
why do you play
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 07:17:12 PM »
Originally posted by Shaky
Damn, I forgot Brooke! Sorry man  

Hey, no problem at all.  I'm brand new in the 4th FG.

On a separate note, I'm wondering how the hell Moil got my picture.

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
why do you play
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 10:13:11 PM »
Morpheus  you state...."You really need to learn how to take a joke and stop taking everything so seriously. When someone says something to you that you dont like, especially in a game, taking it to heart is the biggest mistake you can make. Sorta like saying, bombers dont belong in the game. Hello, yah they do. And that is meant as a joke"

Morpheus you and the Bk's have time after time tried to bully, intimidateand jerk anyone else who doesn't play the game the way YOU and the Bk's think it should be play.

So last night was it a joke when you said bombers don't belong in the game? was it a joke when you said Gv's don't belong in the game?...I suppose today it was a joke last night when you said ....and I quote"FU"
no doubt that was a joke also?

Morpheus I have stated that you lack integrity before...I state that again ...what you say does matter and you need to be accountable and resposible for everything you do in life.

You can't say "FU"  and the next day say it was a joke.....thats crap and your wearing it!...

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
why do you play
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 10:18:30 PM »
Hehehehe..... kids. :lol

Offline BBQ_Bob

• Silver Member
      • http://uknightedstates.net
why do you play
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2005, 10:29:58 PM »
I play therefore I am. :aok
UKNIGHTED Propaganda Minister
"There are no Hells Angels in the MA, never"

"they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."

For a good time ~~ www.uknightedstates.net

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
why do you play
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2005, 10:33:15 PM »
Just because it is fun....

CAVALRY
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
why do you play
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2005, 11:42:21 PM »
...two words

House arrest
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
why do you play
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 02:32:13 AM »
Originally posted by airbumba
...two words

House arrest

I have three words for the next 4-6 weeks

Fractured femur & cast..

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
why do you play
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2005, 02:42:56 AM »
Originally posted by x0847Marine
I have three words for the next 4-6 weeks

Fractured femur & cast..

Ouch!  Well, at least AH is something very fun you can still do.  If you have never had a broken limb before, here's one thing to look forward to:  when you get your cast off and get to scratch that leg for the first time in weeks, it is a feeling of bliss you will never in your life forget! :)  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.