Author Topic: Texas 41 -USC 38  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 01:32:36 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert
So when the QB says "WE did not tackle well" he's referrring to himself? Or the offense? Or the coaching staff? Or the refs? It was a clear slam against his defense to me.

The team.  Every one of the components you just listed, excluding the ref crew, are part of the team.

It's one thing for the leader of the team to give an honest critique of their performance...it's another to slam a part of that team.  He did the former as opposed to the latter.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 01:34:50 PM »
Vince Young's situation reminds me of Sean May's after the NCAA basketball championship last year.  Seriously, how do you top being the MVP of the biggest game of your life?  If you stick around, you could injure yourself, or you could have an off season, or you could wind up going to a lesser bowl game.  Vince Young's stock right now will likely never be higher, and he'd be a fool to do anything but go pro.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »
I certainly hope he weighs all the options tho. IF his stock has gone up more than Bush and Leinart (which I think it did) then he has some bargaining room. Tell Houston to trade some guys to get some offensive lineman , and I'll be there.

Young has some help though. The Texas backs , recievers , and O-Line are very good. They get over looked because of Young and his extreme talent , but without the "Team" he doesn't have the options he has. They are all very good and they have more coming up.

Texas could be , not saying they will be , but could be , on a USC type run for the next 2 or 3 years.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 05:07:54 PM »
That was a pretty good game for amateur ball.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2006, 07:53:53 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
That was a pretty good game for amateur ball.

And yet was better than the kind of ball the Raiders played this year....hehe.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 08:33:22 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
It's one thing for the leader of the team to give an honest critique of their performance...it's another to slam a part of that team.  He did the former as opposed to the latter.

He said "they won but we're really better". Right before he was interviewed I saw him jerk his hand away from a Texas player who was trying to shake his hand. Comes across as a spoiled brat sore loser to me.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »
Shame that Leinart reacted the way he did.  Hope he was the exception rather than the rule among USC players.

From what I've seen and read about him, Young is a class act.  It was refreshing to see a young man score touchdowns in  the year's biggest NCAA game without celebrating with some "notice-me moonwalk" in the end zone.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2006, 08:54:19 PM »
Biggest mistake by USC was the fumble Reggie Bush had which looked like he was trying to latteral it.

If he had not of tried to latteral it causing a fumble USC probably would of won.

Ever since that play Reggie Bush was pretty much dorment as well.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 08:56:26 PM »
Some observations.

USC just barely beat Nortr Dame.  PAC Ten this year lets just say it wasn't at it's best.  Neither was the Big12 for that matter.

Texas got to face a very good defense in the beginning of the year when they traveled to Columbus to play the Buckeyes.  USC hadn't seen anything approaching that caliber of defense until they played Texas.

There was wayyyyyyyyy to much hype about USC all year greatest team ever yadada yadada.  Way to much reggie Bush to go along with it.  Bush is without a doubt the best RB in the country but the hype was rediculous.

Best Championship game ever?  Hard to tell there have been several in my time that could equal the Rose Bowl this year.  And obtw didn't USC have the homefield advantage?  I seem to remember a very good Miami OSU championship game a few years ago.  And the 95 Nebraska Cornhuskers demolished every opponent it faced all year long.  I think if I remember correctly that year Nebraskas winning margin was well over 24 points a game.  They didn't play a close game all year...they just demolished everyone.

So let's not get carried away with the hype.  Form your own judgements and take a look at the facts.  Strength of scedule is a good rule of thumb.
Lets face it USC had to many close games against lesser opponents.  Had the homefield advantage.  And paid way to much attention to their press clippings and the hype.  Ya gotta win the game on the field.  That's why they play them!  PAC Ten isn't what it used to be.  That will change however because as most things do...they run in cycles.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »
Habu, that being said, USC lost by only 3 points on a 4th down, last chance play for Texas. Those teams pretty much seemed as equals to me.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »
Before the game, I felt that USC's defense was suspect.  They had given up 267 points during the regular season, if memory serves.  Fresno State ripped them for 42.  

Texas' defense, on the other hand, gave up only around 150 points.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2006, 09:56:04 PM »
Originally posted by Hajo
And obtw didn't USC have the homefield advantage?

That's what I thought before the game, but the crowd seemed to be for Texas. But it didn't matter, Texas was the better team.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2006, 03:35:32 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
Texas could be , not saying they will be , but could be , on a USC type run for the next 2 or 3 years.

Very doubtful. Vince just announced he wont be back next year :(

He's going to the team that allowed the most sacks in the NFL, hope he can survive.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 09:59:14 PM »
Vince Young is huge.
Anyone smaller than lineman will probably bounce off of him.
If anyone wants to blitz him, they will need to do it pairs, because a safety is going to need a wingman to bring him down.  He could easily bulk up a bit & play both ways, on D as a linebacker

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Texas 41 -USC 38
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2006, 10:55:30 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
nah, they will another next year.

Texas wont make it past the B-12 Championship game next year imo. :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.