Author Topic: Strategic bombing?  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2006, 09:38:40 PM »
Flayed, bomb away!

Kill the fite, I'll look for another fite. No fites? Log for the nite; there are other games that offer action.

When toolshed boredom triumphs, there is always AA and lately BF2.

I prefer aviation but I prefer a fite above all.

Unlike some, I prefer engaging other humans in air combat to cruising around on autopilot plotting the destruction of inanimate game artifacts.

But thanks for highlighting Slap's point.

You and your ilk have done massive damage to a formerly great game.

PS: Jobu will come.

:rofl
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2006, 09:56:40 PM »
Slimy you are obviously an unreachable noob.  You dont have a clue.  nuff said there.

Flayed what
When you guys (mostly seems Toad and Mars) make ugly posts to people
is so ugly in my posts?  What is so terrible please take some quotes and show me.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2006, 12:17:26 AM »
Mars I'm sorry ugly may have been a bit to strong of a word for your posts I was just in the moment... I still consider toads posts ugly showing distane for anyone who dosn't like to play his way and for people that affect his style of play.
  Yours were close to the same, not quite so bad and I need not quote them. Anyone who wants to read them just needs to hit back and go to the beginning of this thread but hopefully they have read the entire thread in the first place.

And Toad I like a good fight as much as anyone else. In fact I've just discovered that the KI-61 can really work a furball but I am not limited to 1 type of game play I enjoy all aspects of play not just the hmm Air quake seems overused how bout Air Doom? type of play.

Anyway this is just gonna go round and round like all the other threads that get into the Furballer/Toolshedder debate so I'm off. I'll let you guys continue running around in circles. I'm off to kill some planes/sheds see ya.

Ohh btw I never new I had Ilk I feel honored... I AM THE KING OF ILK!!!!
HiTech kick me out of the game now I and my ILK have ruined your great product!!!!!!
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2006, 04:43:15 AM »
SlapShot,

Fuel Burn Rate:
You're absolutely correct.  The fuel burn rate (burn multiplier is greater in AH2 at 2.0.  I must have been distracted or sleepy when I wrote that AH1 had the same burn rate as AH2 has.  Sorry about that.  What I should have said was that the flight time available for the fuel load has changed and it has not changed in direct proportion to the multiplier.  Examples based upon 100% internal fuel load calculating a multiplier of 1.0, max throttle at sea level:
AH1:               AH2:
- P51D = 106 minutes.      AH2 = 100 minutes
- P38L =  74 minutes         AH2 = 73 minutes
- Spitfire Mk IX = 71 minutes   AH2 = 44 minutes
- Bf 109E-4 = 50 minutes      AH2 = 80 minutes
- Typhoon = 54 minutes      AH2 = 48 minutes
- Nik-J = 88 minutes         AH2 = 64 minutes
- La-7 = 56 minutes         AH2 = 42 minutes
- Hurricane IId = 44 minutes      AH2 = 64 minutes
And the list goes on.  Some have been changed little and that small change is probably due to the difference in multipliers between AH1 and AH2, but others have changed a lot.  As previously stated, some less and some more.  A little seems to have been taken from the energy fighters and in some cases a lot has been given to turn fighters.  You may draw your own conclusions from this and I’m sure you will. :)

25% Fuel Question:
I believe we’re on the same page here, though you may not agree.  I did state that 25% did allow for defensive furballing above ones own porked field.  I distinctly recall howls of frustration from furballers who wanted to go on the offensive and only had 25% fuel.  As you profess yourself to enjoy the defensive type of furballing it’s not really surprising you didn’t find 25% that limiting.  If you wish to say complaints came primarily from La and Yak drivers…..well in that I suppose you’d know better than I.  I tend to lump the small, light, quick aircraft into the furball category.  Even if they shouldn’t be driven that way by design, I think we both know they frequently are.

Fighters Coming Up to Play with Bombers in the 14 to 16K Range of Altitude:
I’m pretty sure you’re wrong when you state it’s futile and imply it isn’t done that much.  I fly bombers fairly frequently and when I fly that low a lot more fighters come up to play than when I fly at 20 to 25K of altitude.  They don’t necessarily have to have a “new stunninghunk” ripped in them, as you said, and the effort isn’t always futile.  If a fighter is going to come up on my six, I’m going to drool until he comes in range of all those pretty guns I have aimed at his cooperatively stable plane.  Just today my B24’s landed five kills from just such pilots.  On the other hand a fighter who knows what he’s doing can mince my bombers with barely a scratch of damage to his own craft.  A fighter who knows what he’s doing will fly a high angles attack and prevent me from getting a good lead on him.  I’ve done this myself in a fighter and the results are something similar to a shark attacking a wounded seal.

Burn Times/Flight Times Different in AH1 versus AH2:
You say it’s mathematically impossible.  If you do a straight calculation, you’re correct.  But that’s the point I was trying to make.  They didn’t make a straight calculation.  They selectively changed some of the planes.  As you can see from the table above, some of the changes are very slight and may not in fact be changes at all while others are a bit larger and some are whoppers.  Flight time is perhaps not the only thing they changed.  The other night I overheard another pilot comment that the Spitfire Mk IX’s engine had been reduced from AH1 to 40 lbs less.  I assume he was speaking of manifold pressure, but perhaps you’d have a better handle on that than I.  He took the position that it was a significant reduction in performance.

The 50 cal Damage Changes:
You mention an ack bunker.  This is a new term for me.  I’m familiar with ammo bunkers and if that’s what you mean, I agree.  Fifty caliber weapons shouldn’t be able to take down such a bunker without really sustained fire.  If you’re talking about field guns, I disagree both with you and the “realism” crowd.  Those field guns are sitting naked, not in some bunker.  Moreover when you bring any kind of 50 cal weapon to bear on something like a gun, it will in real life tear the crud out of it.  I’ve seen demonstrations of a 50 cal browning eating a car, engine and all.  When you sweep a field gun with six 50’s, it ought to do more than reflect your fire.  They’ve adjusted the 50 damage for ack gun’s and I’m not clear on what else they may have adjusted it for.  Part of the nerfing of the 50 comes from the closer shooting requirements.  Regardless of the reason for this it takes away from the overall usefulness of the weapon.  Finally, this is a computer simulation.  The input/output interface is different for us than it would be if we were really flying the aircraft.  Adjustments have to be made so that our experience is modeled in such a way as to give the same approximate results we’d have if flying the real aircraft.  This means that historical reality must give way in order to give an accurate simulation of the experience.

Furballer Guns:
You state the Spit IX has 50 cal guns in addition to the 20 mm Hispano’s (awesome cannon by the way).  It did in AH1, but they changed that in AH2.  Now all you can get are the .303’s.  Your far more experienced with the Spit than I, but my experience with the .303’s was that they were all but worthless in AH1.  Some pilots even emptied them before takeoff, preferring to lose the weight and depend upon the superlative performance of the Hispano’s.  While 50’s were better than .303’s, they’re nothing to the Hispano’s.  In any case, my comment’s were designed to show the differential in impact between BnZ and TnB style aircraft in AH2 versus AH1.  You need to be closer in AH2 to make any of the guns work well.  This plays better for a TnB than a BnZ aircraft.

Cloud Haze Layer Keeping Furballers Low:
I misstated this and I apologize for the confusion.  I intended to indicate that the bombers are kept lower by the haze and that permits the furballers to stay lower in the furball and wander up to the bombers as well.  They don’t have to expend so much time reaching us as if were at 20K.

Bomber Convergence:
Bomber convergence is set to 600?  Where did you find that out?  It really feels more like 300 to the group of pilot’s I fly with.  Can you refer me to documentation?  I’m not challenging your statement.  I’d just really like to get more information on it.

Regarding the Effective Range of Bombers Guns:
My comparison was between AH1 and AH2.  I was able to shoot fighters at greater range than in AH2.  I’m sure the guys in WWII not, as you say, very successful in shooting down enemy fighters.  But then I doubt enemy fighter crawled up nice and steady on their six and sat there shooting at the bombers.  People in AH do that.  Actually a surprising number do that.  Disturbingly so.  In AH1 the fighters were more prone to high angle attacks than in AH2.  Occasionally a fighter will perform high angle attacks on me and in that situation I’ve got little chance of saving my family jewels.  Then you’d be correct to say I’d be lucky to dismantle someone out at 800.  But when they just sit there on my six with like six or more 50’s per plane blazing at them, it’s not much of a trick to trim their wings.  If a WWII gunner had that opportunity I can’t help but think he’d have the same result.

Furballers do “crawl up to me”.  They do it all the time.  They do it because I’m ticking them off by bombing their radar, troops and ordinance as well as putting large dents in their factories and cities.  I bomb these things in cooperation with the overall strategy of my country as I see it unfold.  Sometimes it’s good to leave some strats alone and sometimes it’s good to pork as many fields as you can.

It’s late, I’m tired and I hope I haven’t made any further mistakes in grammar, style, syntax, spelling and ….oh yeah…..facts.  lol  This thread has taken a lot more time than I initially budgeted and I hope I can resist making another post on it regardless of the response to my posting.

<> SlapShot

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »
Firstly, I'll deal with the qoute below.  Which will prove you are wrong yet again.  As I have previuosly stated your adept at manipulating context to your own weak points.  Points that have absolutly bugger all do do with the ethos of the thread.

Lynx my last post was it with you. You say little and type much. I am not going wade through your BS. Your the moron that posted about score and said you didn't, your the moron that can't understand a field being down for three hours is a bad thing. Your no longer worth the effort. I had mt laugh at you but now I'm done. You can have the last post.

My reply to Slimey-j before Toad or yourself pitched in......
Don't get put off by some of the negative replies. If you like bombing go ahead and strat the enemy silly. It does slow their regain down which helps the push. Also you, as a bomber, get loadsa pekies / points / rank. ....... Indeeed the first instance of the word "rank" being used.  Again not in the context of the point your trying to make.  If at all you had a point.

The second time the word "rank" being used was by Toad
May the search for rank, glory and ticker-tape "We won the WAR!" parades so consume them that they forsake the MA forever and ever.
A-freakin-gain.  Not in any context of your benign twittering.

Third time "rank"was used was my reply to you, as follows;-This thread has nothing to with rank. When you read it you'll see it's about todays strat system ... .  Semantically the first sentence on it's own would be misunderstud but it wasn't. What does the next line say?  A line that yet again you have chosen to neglect, forget, override or darn right ignore for your own purposes.   You selectively chose a sentence to drive it out of context.  The following is how you posted it and the point you have tried making of the above.

This thread has nothing to with rank.

So why are you the first one to bring it up, twice for that matter.

My reply to you was :-  I didn't is the simple answere. I mentioned Strat bombing helps rank in a reply to slimey-J. Perhaps you have been befuddled my the word "Statistics", in a reply to Toad.

Mars bar me ol congealed chocolate fuge.  You are not befuddled you are selective, especially when losing the arguement.  You couldn't debate yourself outta that brown papper bag I once spoke of. You couldn't even follow replies, threads or the ethos.  I bet you can't even read a freakin road map without arguing the toss.  Twice now I have proven you to be a right plonker and I'll do it a third time as follows :-  
Your quote as above
your the moron that can't understand a field being down for three hours is a bad thing.
WTF is it with you.  For the ump-teenth-time "IN TODAYS STRAT SYSTEM" fields can't go down that long. .  It's akin to you arguing this point ---->"If my Aunty had b***s she'd be my Uncle"

Secondly
We speak from wisdom and expieriance, not our arses like my buddy Lynx. My point to you was relax and learn the game before you start going off half cocked on guys like slapshot or toad, all your doing is showing your newbness. Take it for what you want.

If, especially, you and a few others were not so sarcastic or darn right RUDE.  These new guys may take on board what your trying to tell them.
Morph and SuerDud being the first "furball" guys to have contributed "Wisdom" in a convivial manner.  You may want to take a leaf from their book next time....

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2006, 11:52:40 AM »
Ok, this is me signing out of this thread, it's turning into FAR too much of a pissing match--from BOTH SIDES--for my interest level.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »
You know.....I just took another look at the start of this thread and realize how far off the initial question I strayed.

Bombing strats like Factory installations and Cities does have an effect.  How much this effects recovery times within the Zone in question is something I don't know.  I know that the more you down a City or Factory installation the greater the recovery time for the Strats.  Percentages and what that means in real time is something I haven't seen and would be interested in knowing.

My personal progression if bombing for long term effect is to bomb Cities first, Factory installations second and that individual field strats third.  I don’t often have time for that so bombing field strats is usually the way I go.

Bottom line on bombing Factories and Cities?  The more you do it, the greater effect.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2006, 03:13:50 PM »
Originally posted by ChopSaw
You know.....I just took another look at the start of this thread and realize how far off the initial question I strated

Welcome to the boards:D
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2006, 05:10:48 PM »
I’m pretty sure you’re wrong when you state it’s futile and imply it isn’t done that much. I fly bombers fairly frequently and when I fly that low a lot more fighters come up to play than when I fly at 20 to 25K of altitude.

You are not attracting the "furball" crowd at that altitude ... you are attracting the Cherry Pickers who like to sit above a furball and pick people off when they are busy.

You mention an ack bunker. This is a new term for me. I’m familiar with ammo bunkers and if that’s what you mean, I agree. Fifty caliber weapons shouldn’t be able to take down such a bunker without really sustained fire. If you’re talking about field guns, I disagree both with you and the “realism” crowd. Those field guns are sitting naked, not in some bunker. Moreover when you bring any kind of 50 cal weapon to bear on something like a gun, it will in real life tear the crud out of it. I’ve seen demonstrations of a 50 cal browning eating a car, engine and all.

You will not see sandbags surrounding a field ack ... but its damage value was changed to simulate that effect. Sorry, but that just the way it is ... with that, the 50 cals are no different now than they were before.

You need to be closer in AH2 to make any of the guns work well. This plays better for a TnB than a BnZ aircraft.

You may have a point there, at least as far as I am concerned ... I am a horrible shot so I need to get up close and personal ... but guys like Levi, Stang, Morph, Furball, Apar ... they have no problem bringing home (repeatedly) 10+ kills per sortie when playing the BnZ game ... me, I am estatic if I can bag 5.

I misstated this and I apologize for the confusion. I intended to indicate that the bombers are kept lower by the haze and that permits the furballers to stay lower in the furball and wander up to the bombers as well. They don’t have to expend so much time reaching us as if were at 20K.

One more time ... you will not find furballers flying at 13K-14K ... what you are seeing are the Cherry Pickers.

3K to 14K in a Spit V or a Hurri IIC ... is an eternity ... as far as I am concerned.

Following Saxman out the door.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Strategic bombing?
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2006, 09:10:08 PM »
With reference strat bombing Cities and factories Midnight makes a valid point about Zone base capture on the larger maps and Morph makes an equally valid point about the small ones.

When it comes to actually bombing these targets it's important to take the correct fuel load, bomb load and use the correct salvo.  You'll find certain bombers are best suited for cities and others for factories.  There is nothing stopping you taking a set of Bostons out if you feel like it but they are less effective in terms of damage inflicted / required.

Bombing accuratly is so simple now it's almost lazer like.  The only thing required for accuracy is constant speed and level flight.  The salvo I use is dot salvo 1 dot delay 0.05 (default delay).  The reason being I can pick out a cluster of buildings at 20,000 feet or more and hit it or near as damn.  Allowing the blast effect to score damage.  You'll find practise makes perfect.            

My personal favourites are the Lancaster, B17 and the B26 in that order.  When I use bombers I do so at alt and my experience, for what it's worth, may be of value to new Strat bomber guys.

The Lanc has great grange, high alt speed and the best bomb load out in Aces High. I think everyone is aware of it's draw backs. No bottom turret very slow climber and tops out around 22,000ft for accuracy.  In real life they didn't go much over 19,000 ft.  I take the 14 x 1k load out with 25% or 50% fuel depending if I want to step away from the PC for 45 min  :D The Lanc is best for all Strat targets and especially the Cities.  The 1k lb,ers make a terrific impack with a brilliant blast radius.  Blowing me own trumpet here I can make just 3 passes on a city and it will be below 25% with at least 2 bombs left.  Using all 14 the best I'v done is 9% of the city remaining.

The B17 is great against the factories.  Fantastic extreme high alt bomber.  Takes loads of damage and hard to set on fire.  Good load out of 500's or 250's.  Great range with 50% or 75% fuel and in my opinion has little to no draw backs other than the top turret doesn't fire upwards .  The 500's have a decent blast radius.  The 250's as you would expect don't have the best blast radius but there is more of them.  The first 3 passes on any strat target will inflict the most damage,  You still have bombs left for more passes on those out of the way structures.

B26 is low to meduim alt bomber.  I rarly use it above 10,000 feet and never below 6,000 feet.  Even at these alts you will attract fighters like a parasite fish on a shark.  50% to 75% is usually more than enough fuel. It's got great guns but like the Lancaster no bottom turret.   I use the 250's on factories.  Using this bomber is like having sex out doors.  Quickly in quickly out befor you get cought.  Go at it like mad on the first three passes but if the coast is clear theres ords left for the odd structure. A good perk farming tool if you like collecting bomber perks.

As for field porking bomber runs not hanger banging I hasten to add.  Any bomber is good but I favour the b26 with the 250's and 75% fuel. You can work one field over or, for instance, barracks or dar on a number of fields.  If I feel there's time or the arena is slow I'll pork bomber run in B17's at extreme alt with the 500's.

All the best and keep a good line.:aok
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:24:58 PM by LYNX »