Author Topic: So much for separation of church and state  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
So much for separation of church and state
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Early man knew nothing about the existance of the radio waves that pass through all of our bodies, unsensed by our dim faculties.

The narrow sensitivity of our bodies do not permit us to directly experience many things... and personally, without passing judgment on anyone, to not keep an open mind about the possibility of God is a deliberate act which is against your nature...

Gunthr  

"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by MrBill:
Yeager

You could start with Pulitzer Prize winner "Guns, Germs, and Steel" subtitle the Fate of Human Societies by Jared Diamond. ISBN 0-393-03891-2 this covers ... well the fates of worldwide human societies.

More to the point of native americans I suggest Russel Thornton's "American Indian Holocaust and Survival", and Henry Dobyns "Their Number Became Thinned"

The numbers these authors discuss are backed up to a large degree by modern physical anthropology and are truly staggering.

I am somewhat amazed that we who are immersed in, and proud of, our knowledge of W.W.II history have so little knowledge of the much larger history of the entire spectrum of mankind??

The following is a paraphrase cause I forget the exact quote  

Whomever fails to study the past is destined to repeat it's mistakes.

MrBill, you are a liar!
 The book you name ("Guns,...") clearly states that 98% or more of the native populations died out from the european diseases they had no immunity against, not from persecution.

Besides, "The US haven't had those sorts of persecutions" referes to religious persecutions like this whole thread. That is why I will not try to argue other stupidities in your posts - they have nothing to do with religion either.

miko

P.S. A person who just became a president of USA made a personal prayer to the God he believes in. What is more natural and how does it affect anyone else? Had he been a hindu, he may have prayed to some other God then Judeo-Christian one. Who cares?

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 01-22-2001).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »

and personally, without passing judgment on anyone, to not keep an open mind about the possibility of God is a deliberate act which is against your nature...

I couldn't agree more.  Well said.

AKDejaVu

TheWobble

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2001, 04:16:00 PM »
I still dont know why we are arguing religion here, its like a game of tic-tac-toe, there will never be a winner (unless 1 side is retarded) religion has been a source of argument for thousands of years, cant we just say...  
"you think what you think, ill think what i think, dont tell me im wrong i wont tell you wrong, because neither of us really know whats going on anyway"

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2001, 04:24:00 PM »
Regarding the seperation of Church and State, Fatty said what I would have.  Good post.

Also, Kieren's post got me to thinking.  Many people describe such events, and there is no doubt that something happens to these people that produce tangible changes in their lives.

He describes it as being touched by God. Who are you or I to say that isn't what happened?  The only other explanation that one can offer for such events is something along the lines of it being a demonstration of human willpower coupled with a want to believe, which is no more provable than Kieren's explanation.  Believing in such a theory is as much a leap of faith as the idea that he was touched by God.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2001, 04:43:00 PM »
Kieren, Lance - I've had experiences like that. The last time was when I had half a tab of e on top of quite a bit of alcohol - never did it again. Didn't like the lack of self-control.

The mind is a powerful tool, and thoughts can affect the physiology of the body. Attribute those effects to whatever you want.

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 01-22-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
I agree with StSanta.  The separation of Church and State MUST be inviolate.

This separation has been weakening ever since the United States of America were formed and, it seems to me, that this weakening is accelerating.  Liberals and Conservatives all seem eager to do away with the fundamental structure of our country.

For the record, I am an agnostic.  I don't know if there are God(s).  It is something that science CANNOT prove or disprove.  The way I see it, it doesn't really matter if there are or are not deities.  I simply think that we should try to make our stay in the existance as pleasant for all as we can.
What happens afterwards?  I don't know and neither does anyone else.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2001, 05:20:00 PM »
Kieren, I would happily accept a god or gods into my life. it'd make life more cheerful and give a sense of purpose.

I am, however, not able to deceive myself to such a large degree. I need evidence; my feelings have been wrong more than once. And it is true that *if* you want something to be true, that's a *very* good reasoning for questioning and examining it.

You say:

To any atheist still listening:

Religion=faith in the unseen and unknown- either you have it or you don't. Saying that it doesn't exist because it cannot be proven is naive. I can hit you in the hand with a hammer and it will hurt, and those around you that don't see the strike or feel the pain will still believe you are hurting. It's like saying there is no wind since you can't see it, that water doesn't exist since you can't taste it, or freedom doesn't exist because you can't hold it in your hand.

Well, pain response can be measured scientifically - set up an experiment, try out a falsifiable theory. Quite easy. Wind is basically gas in movement, which is a liquid. Also quite easy to support using scientific measurements. The same goes for water; all these things belong to the physical realm and  are relatively easy to prove.

Then you have the theism theme; the logic goes as follows: Everything has to be created. A god or gods created the world for reasons unknown to us. These gods or gods however are ethereal and immaterial and have always existed or did not have to be created.

An argument commonly heard. Any student of logic would say that it is fatally flawed; the conclusion violates the premise: everything is created, except the gods. The problem is known as the problem of infinite regression and there is a lot of literature out there debunking it.

Now, this is purely a thought experiment and due to the nature of this god thingy, it is not falsifiable, something that skeptics say is increibly convenient. Even so, logically it does not hold water.

This is claim one. After this comes a variety of claims about the properties of god or gods, and the wishes of this. And an antrophomorphic view of the gods; ascribing human values or traits to something that quite clearly does not even closely resemble anything human.

If there is no supporting evidence and a violation of logic, I cannot get myself to believe fantastic claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I don't live wrong. I live a very just life, going out of my way to ensure I do not necessarily bother people. I make damned sure that I am not a hypocrite and force myself to admit my wrongdoings, if only to myself when me ego gets in the way.

Kieren, I do not discount your story, nor do I distrust your sincerity. I honestly believe you that you're sincere when you say you've had a personal religious encounter with god. It must have been a turning point in your life and a very warm sensation.

Unfortunately, personal experiences do not fall into the realm of reliable evidence to me. Too many people have seen Elvis boarding UFO's (extreme example, I know) for it to be considered a reliable source of information.

I am a non theist now, just as I was when I was a new born. Religiosity is an acquired state I feel. I'm an atheist because the alternative does not seem to make any sense at all. And I am a moral one - there is really no need for a god to exist for there to be morality.

If the logical flaws could be weeded out, we'd have a nice hypothesis. If this could be supported, we'd have a theory. At this point, I'd start to be very interested. Unfortunately, this far no one has come close to prove anything "supernatural".

There is a $1 000 000 reward; see www.randi.org,  for anyone that can under scientific scrutiny produce something supernatural. The scientists involved are not randi's personal favourits but experts on whatever area is being disputed.

I imagine life with a god must be quite satisfying - the sense of purpose, the sense of there being some kind of equilibrium between good and bad, hope when there is little, group belonging. Something bigger than you and me or life itself. It must be comforting. I'd like it to be true. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of evidence or logical support for most supernatural claims.

To each his own I say; as long as all parts are willing to acknowledge the weaknesses of their position. The weak atheist does not make claims that god does not exist - weak atheism, and I belong to that category, is simply a *lack* of faith in deities or a deity.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel." - A. Eldritch

-towd_

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2001, 08:19:00 PM »
wow what a thread ( buddist )

not one flame in it really congrats all <S>

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2001, 08:37:00 PM »
FWIW, I would never try to ram my theology down anyone's throat. The only thing I wished to add was a perspective different from many expressed here. There are plenty of bad examples of supposedly religious people to cite when discussing the validity of religion itself, but sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the people who are religious are as fallible as those who are not.

There are many reasons religion works for me, and I won't bore you with them all. The big ones would include salvation, an acceptance that some things are way beyond my control, and the fact that no load given to me is more than I can bear. When things look bleakest I can always remind myself that God will not give me more than my abilities can handle. I know that when I screw up (and I will) I can be forgiven. When I am challenged I am happy, because I know God found me worthy of the test. It makes me a better person- not better than others, but better than I would be on my own- because I always trust that God will give me what I need if I believe in Him.

Now all that said I don't have the right to force anyone to cater to my beliefs, and therefore there should be a separation of church and state. "Give to Caesar what is his" as Jesus said. I do find it alarming that so many feel threatened by Christian religions, yet not threatened by satanism or any such extremist and destructive religions. As a teacher I can more likely discuss in detail the steps to human sacrifice without worry than to describe how communion is served in a Baptist church.

Proving the existance of God? This argument is as old as religion itself. There are of course personal testimonies, such as mine; there are historical accounts written in ancient tomes such as the Bible; still, most can be (and are) explained away by science. I think this is by design. Religion is faith, and how strong can faith be if it is placed only in proof? No, I don't mean that no proof should ever be sought, but to make certain every aspect of God is proven before His existance can be verified misses the point, I think.

Here's the funny thing- I read the Bible over-and-over, and every time I do, I find some more conventional wisdom I had missed in previous readings. I find truisms of human nature. I see myself in many of the characters of the stories. Even if I didn't believe- and I do- it is the most useful book on human nature I have ever read.

To get off the soapbox at last, someone mentioned "the meaning of life"... to the religious, this means to serve God. This is why talents were given to all, and in varying degrees. We as the human race are a single body, and every part has its job. We are tasked with doing the most with the talents we have, whatever they are. We are tasked with denying ourselves for the benefit of others. We are not perfect, none of us, nor can we make ourselves perfect regardless of how we live our lives. We need God's grace to achieve salvation, and we do that by serving Him (by serving our fellow man).

Man, did I just get scary to about 99% of the listeners here or what?  

TheWobble

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »
Alright dammit! thats enough! I think we should all worship something that has shone that it is trualy special, something that has proven that it is above all of us and all we have created, something that will never understood but will always seen as amazing in its abilities to mystify us all...
hence forth we shall all worsh the AH Chog  
now quit yer bickering  

funked

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »
Santa I didn't make myself very clear and I apologize for that.  What I mean is that you don't seem to have a grasp of how the Average Joe feels about this issue.  Most people in the US (myself included) value the separation pretty highly.  If Bush were to go too far in this area there would be some consequences for him.  He would have a hard time getting re-elected and if he really screwed up, it would hurt his party for a long time by turning off moderates.  However praying in public by the President has a long tradition and is perfectly acceptable.  Likewise, asking Americans to pray does not cross any boundaries because there are no "teeth" behind it - it's a request not an order.  Besides, we already have a day set aside, by law, for thanking God - Thanksgiving.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
AH ok funked, gotcha. Why do you need a day of prayer then?

I''m happy the majority of Americans treasure the separation of church and state - it's worth protecting. I'm quite pissed that we haven't come that far here yet (and what, it's only been 200 years?).

But ya gotta wonder about the Bush character. All along he says "I am a uniter, not a divider". Then he blocks some of Clintons environmental protection plans, appoints a female that liberals (and moderate republicans) feel is pretty much anti environment and an attorney general that has stated that there are laws higher than the secular ones that are more important, who've actively worked to overturn Roe Vs Wade and yet says he'll protect this law. Add "national prayer day", a state sponsored religious event clearly favouring one religion. Scary stuff.

All in less than a week. It seems as if Bush has to pay his debts to the Christian right - and it seems as if he is doing it.

Kieren, very nice post. While I do not agree with what you say, I can clearly understand your position. It seems our fundamental differences are how we view humans - you feel that god will challenge us, but not above our abilities,  you see the human race from an organic point of view - with each human being a cell in something greater. A need for god for salvation since we're fallible creatures.

Me, I feel we're thrown up sometimes against challenges we have no way of dealing with - a drunken driver clipping yer legs, a devastating loss of a loved one - things that seriously disrupt your life and not for the better. I see humans as group oriented mammals that focus on the furthering of group interests - which inevitably leads to conflicts with other groups. And lastly, while humans are fallible, I do not feel a need for a god to save us. I am unsure what we have to be saved from and I find it a little unmotivating to be in a game that you can't win and need someone else's approval to get out of alright.

That's about it, really. I think morally speaking, we'd agree on at least 95%.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel." - A. Eldritch

Jay_76

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2001, 06:47:00 AM »
Hopefully I shant drag this further out of OP territory-

Religion=faith in the unseen and unknown- either you have it or you don't. Saying that it doesn't exist because it cannot be proven is naive. I can hit you in the hand with a hammer and it will hurt, and those around you that don't see the strike or feel the pain will still believe you are hurting. It's like saying there is no wind since you can't see it, that water doesn't exist since you can't taste it, or freedom doesn't exist because you can't hold it in your hand.

Well, pain response can be measured scientifically - set up an experiment, try out a falsifiable theory. Quite easy. Wind is basically gas in movement, which is a liquid. Also quite easy to support using scientific measurements. The same goes for water; all these things belong to the physical realm and are relatively easy to prove.

You missed his point, Santa:  he was talking about that which is NOT directly observable... if someone came in exhibiting signs of having hit his hand with a hammer, but you never saw the strike, would you automatically (a) assume he was telling the truth about his experience, or (b) assume he was trying to mislead you?  Would you have to see bruising?  Its entirely possible that he could be faking or could have imagined his pain, how do you discern between one and the other? No proof other than the "victims" word, how do you judge that?

Unfortunately, personal experiences do not fall into the realm of reliable evidence to me. Too many people have seen Elvis boarding UFO's (extreme example, I know) for it to be considered a reliable source of information.

I guess this is my answer... the question is where you're going to draw the line.  What's a less extreme example?  I'd rather see how you judge good information from personal experiences, because I believe we rely more on that than any other source: even if it's only "be true to thine ownself". An illustration:

If there is no supporting evidence and a violation of logic, I cannot get myself to believe fantastic claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

So, that's in your experience?

Last one-

And an antrophomorphic view of the gods; ascribing human values or traits to something that quite clearly does not even closely resemble anything human.

Christian god does, supposedly, at least one person of the godhead. He said as much about himself.  Are there any others in other traditions?

Anyhow,

Jay.

funked

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
Santa do you remember the first few months of the Clinton presidency?  Gays in the military, nutty socialist health care proposals, etc.  That stuff didn't go over too well and Clinton spent 2-3 years backtracking.  That might be repeated here.

Also there was no "state-sponsored religious event".  He asked people to pray.  That is all.

PS Christian right has nothing to do with environmental issues.  I know plenty of Bible-thumpers who are nature freaks too.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 01-23-2001).]