Author Topic: kill shooter  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
kill shooter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 07:12:56 AM »
"I'd go with the "no effect if you shoot a friendly" solution."

Oh yeah that's the solution  :rolleyes:    Picture this.....

You outmaneuver an opponant and are about 200 yrds off his tail.  As you go to press the fire button you see the tracers of the friendlies behind you go THROUGH you and your plane to nail the kill you were lined up on.

The MA goes from HOville to konga line with everyone shooting through each other without regard at the one fleeing enemy bogy.  

lol.  Yeah that makes a lot of damn sense.

edited:  (p.s With the pLaYsK0oL nature of the MA now IMO having friendly fire ON would be the worst option possible.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:18:09 AM by Westy »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
kill shooter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »
Sigh, its like death and taxes. In AH there are 2 constants. Either someone is whining about collisions, or its killshooter.

Collisions seem to be tougher, people seem to have a harder time of grasping the essentials.

Killshooter, well what all of you seem to have fogotten. Is that having killshooter on has an effect on gameplay. Remove that, and you would quickly find you no longer enjoy the game.

Killshooter on helps keep 5 guys from shooting at you all at the same time.
Hordes & pack flying are bad enough now, you want to make it worse??

Ask any good pilot who's flown here for more than a year.

I bet they don't killshoot themselves more than twice a year, maybe 3 if they are unlucky.

Its all about restraint, not shooting unless you have a clear shot. Situational awareness, ie knowing who else is around you.

If there are 2 guys chasing a con now, why would you need more?
Yet that is exactly the kind of behavior that turning off killshooter would encourage.

If your sending yourself back to tower more than once a month you need to ask yourself what your doing wrong.  Either your flying in a pack, or not paying attention to whats around you.

Killshooter is fine, it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
kill shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »
:aok  what Westy and Ghosth said.  
in 4 years I think I've killshot myself once or twice and caused one or two killshots

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
kill shooter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 08:11:41 AM »
Originally posted by Westy
"
edited:  (p.s With the pLaYsK0oL nature of the MA now IMO having friendly fire ON would be the worst option possible.)

Of course Westy has a point ....however its self serving.

MA caters for "pLaYsK0oL" mentality and "pLaYsK0oL" mentality is what it eventually gets.

Treat folks like kids and they act like kids............treat kids like kids and they etc etc

I listen to quite non sensical ranting from folk who were not check 6'd by allies around them...................I have to listen to folk who do not want bombers bombing........

The point is not whether I agree or not its that folk do voice their opinions (in game) on their view of proper game play quite vociferously.............. I am sure therefore that folk who shot down allies would quickly be made aware of the error of their ways particularly if system reports awarded friendly kills in a some what public way.

Of course there would be some "lively debates" about thems that fly infront of others etc etc .............nothing new there then!

The idea that Kill shooter stops daisy chains is of course quite wrong............. daisy chains still exist and I regularly see tracer coming past my shoulder............ and allies cutting thru my tracer to gain a snap shot.

I see this often because I am a lousy shot and spend alot of time in saddle to gain a kill ...............thats my problem but kill shooter makes little difference IMO.

Shame will make the difference..................

If Kill shooter was left on another option could be..................

SYSTEM: Died firing on a freindly
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 08:19:43 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
kill shooter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 10:02:19 AM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name
KD, because it makes too much damned sense! LOL

Because it stops the 10 guys behind me from shooting at the same time.  If KS was off, all 10 would be shooting including the 2 lalas comming HO.  With KS on, only 1 or 2 guys can fire safely.

You ll probably die from kill shooter without being your fault 1 maybe 2 times per year.  Get over it and up again.  Planes are free.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
kill shooter
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 10:28:11 AM »
Shame won't do a thing to alter the behavior of the players. Anyone who's been around for any length of time should realize this. Killshooter is not the perfect solution, but it is the most practical. PNG didn't work 100% in AW, and it wouldn't work any better than KS in here. If you KS a friendly, you screwed up, period. Don't shoot greens.

In the limited instances I've seen KS turned off (SEA, CT, and assorted spec events), I've seen friendlies kill multiple friendlies. It's not a feature or improvement I'd like to see in the MA, regardless of how "playsk00l" it is or isn't.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
kill shooter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
Originally posted by bagrat
ty for response, i understand pros an cons, but dont you think it would be better to just have bullets not have any effect on either allie pilots?

Seeing as Karnac has not weighed in on this yet ... I will try to help.

If you are tangled in a 3 v 1, and you cause one of the 3, by manuvering, to shoot one of the other friendlies ... one of them MUST go down.

HT chooses to have the one that shot the other friendly, pay the consequences, as opposed to the friendly that got shot, but in virtual "reality" someone HAS TO GO DOWN and rightfully so.

Now ... and correctly, you are now engaged in a 2 v 1. Had killshooter been off, then all 3 could spray and pray without consequence as to where they are spraying and praying.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and every angle/suggestion has been gone over and over and over ... and guess what ... HT WILL NEVER CHANGE IT.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
why not both?
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 10:34:06 AM »
both the shooter and the friendly take damage...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
kill shooter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 10:35:13 AM »
I confess, I liked the AW solution too.  Nothing more fun then having the opportunity to light up a Squaddie on occasion.

You really got good at watching your six if you knew that your wingie might blast you just for fun.  I'll never forget diving into save an old Nomad squaddie and having him shoot me down by accident.  I uppped and raced back to try and clear him of the mob and he promptly got me again :)

We laughed a long time about that one.

Of course the folks who take this game too seriously wouldn't appreciate the humor in that, but I thought it was funny and wish that was still around for one of those nights where all of a sudden a squad turns in on itself just to change things up :)

And of course if you were the guy PNG you had to go fly with another country to get bullets and you then found out it was kind of fun to shoot at your buddies that way too.  Might help with that balance stuff having to switch countries.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:37:54 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
kill shooter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
I confess, I liked the AW solution too.  Nothing more fun then having the opportunity to light up a Squaddie on occasion.

You really got good at watching your six if you knew that your wingie might blast you just for fun.  I'll never forget diving into save an old Nomad squaddie and having him shoot me down by accident.  I uppped and raced back to try and clear him of the mob and he promptly got me again :)

We laughed a long time about that one.

Of course the folks who take this game too seriously wouldn't appreciate the humor in that, but I thought it was funny and wish that was still around for one of those nights where all of a sudden a squad turns in on itself just to change things up :)

Time Out for you ...Go sit in your room and don't come out till I tell ya.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
kill shooter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Time Out for you ...Go sit in your room and don't come out till I tell ya.

Just gotta remember that your beloved or hated BK leader as the case may be, was a strong backer of the system as he was often the last Nomad standing when we'd turn in on each other and start shooting :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
kill shooter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 10:43:52 AM »
Fratricide is fun! But only for us, not for the rest of you hosers.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
kill shooter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 10:52:27 AM »
Can just see the first 262's reaction being killed on take off by a friendly.

Oh yea that would be real fun.

I rember the AW system also, I also see the great selective memorys about it.

HiTech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
kill shooter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 10:58:52 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

HiTech

I remember lots of grumbling about that too.  Personally I don't care either way.    Killshooter hasn't been a problem for me here.  I can't hit the good guys any better then the bad guys.  And if I find myself in a mob chasing one bad guy, I pull out of the crowd most of the time to avoid the chance of killshooter.

I do know that the only times I was PNG in AW were because of shooting squaddies for fun :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
kill shooter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 11:10:02 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

HiTech

What if one of those guys was Hub?  Ehhh?  Not so bad of an idea now, is it? :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.