Author Topic: Bout damn time  (Read 852 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2006, 12:21:31 AM »
When I lived up in Maine the rural plowing on side streets was done by locals on contract to the town or county. This one yokel that knew I was 'not frum round heyah' used to love to clip off my mail box post with his plow. After replacing the 4x4 three times I decided i'd been abused enuff and welded 4 '78 monte carlo rear coil springs together and buried the bottom of the tower in a cement plug. The Mailbox top had 20 pounds of lead plate for a base, U-bolted to top of the spring. Since the wife objected to the 'junkyard' message it seemed to convey I boxed the tower with a thin sheath of 1/4" ply, painted it up all city-like and stuck a light on it. So he wouldn't miss it.

I then sat and waited for my first (and only) eagerly awaited for NorEaster.

I was parked in my leather chair next to the window, sippin a hot coffee; enjoying storm's aftermath when the yokel plowed by.. and I still vividly remember the mail box's savage flight outwards, splinted wood and snuffed light flying in the cloud of snow; and the sound of the inevitable crushing *WHUMP* of the mailbox's hammer blow back into the cab door of his purdy new dodge powerwagon as he barrled by.

"caint get theyah frum heyah", my ass.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2006, 04:45:17 PM »
Originally posted by doobs
Dred I hope you enjoyed it, every square inch of my body hurts.

we all dont have teenage kids to do our snow bidding for us.

ah crap just resprained a finger.

I'm with ya Dred I love the snow just not when I dont have my 11hp snowblower with me.  goin to need a back transplant.

now I'm at war with the plows, I keep breakin thru to the street and they keep plowin mt everest my into my driveway, they are not going to like next pass.  I put large rocks and chains in the snow where they goin to pass next. the chains are hooked to 5 full garbage cans of snow and rocks.

f' them, if that dont work, mister 30/30 will have to take out a tire or two.

I amost always enjoy it when someone elses body is in pain LOL

Actually I did it all by my lonesome as my son had stayed at his friends house the night before. Probably to get out of snow detail LMAO.

I know the plow war well. Why I usually wait till they've don the mjority of the plowing before I even bother. What they do afterwards I just blow through with my work van.

My biggest thing with the plows is I live on a corner where they put the huge pile and typically they put that pile which usually measures about 8-10 feet high by 10-15 feet around RIGHT where the sidewalk meets the road. And Im supposed to clear a path to the road.

So what I do is I dig till I see the curb and stop there.
Someone from the township once mentioned this to me and I told em that the only way Im gonna try to get through that )what usually is at that point a solid block of ice) is if they issue me a blasting permit.

But they could always use some common sense and put the pile another 10  feet over to where the sewer actually is since thats what they are aiming for anyway.

I've never heard another word about it. but they still keep putting the pile in the same place which means the cleared pather for pedestrians comes to an abrupt and unannounced end ande they have to climb over.
Once just to be a nice guy I cleared a path all the way around the pile and to my driveway, by way of my front lawn. and I mean my entire front lawn.

you see the path I cleared was in the design of a maze, zigzagging back and forth over the width of about 75 feet. It was funny as hell watching people follow the path zizagging. reach the end of the sidewalk, then walk back 50 feet, only to turn left and walk another 50 feet only to turn right for another 50.
Eventually though people tired of it and just walked through the snow to the road eventually wqearing down their own path.

Made for some amusing entertainment for a while though
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2006, 05:00:41 PM »
did most people get to work today?

did you make it in today Dred?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 05:38:45 PM »
86 here, just turned down the AC. It was getting a little cool in the office.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
86 here, just turned down the AC. It was getting a little cool in the office.

yup same here, had all the windows open in the house and was wearing a tank top and shorts while doing yard work.  barely a cloud in the sky.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
you are a warped, twisted demented human being.

....if yer even human.

I ****ing hate snow. We almost made it thru the season without any significant ****ing snowfall, and I bet right now yer out in the ****ing snow making ****ing snowmen, ****ing snow angels and ****ing enjoying ****ing shoveling your ****ing driveway, and enjoying every ****ing minute of it.

And afterwards yer gonna star inna ****ing capital one card commecial with a BBQ going in a ****ing snow drift.

This is eerily remaniscent of "Urchin".   Notice the "****"

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2006, 06:28:15 PM »
Sometimes I friggin hate Pennsylvania.  

I remember a story my dad likes to tell.  He got tricked into being in the marines during Vietnam.  About 3/4 the way through Bootcamp he asked the DI what Vietnam was like.

The DI tells him, "Son, have you ever been to Pennsylvania in August?  Imagine that except with half as many mosquitos."
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Bout damn time
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
did most people get to work today?

did you make it in today Dred?

I made it but alot of the secondary roads were still a mess.
Fortunately I work for myself so I can usually all my own hours.
Unfortunately, I work for myself so when I have a job going and I think I might be able to make it I go to work reguardless of the conditions.

thats the downside to being in your own buisness. You dont get sick days or personal days or vacation days. and when you dont go to work you loose that days pay. Period LOL

But I made it in just fine. a little later then I would have liked. but it was mostly just prep work today anyway
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty