Author Topic: A question for Christians  (Read 3246 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
A question for Christians
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2001, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by R4M:
The message of Jesus, as I understand it is very simple:

"Love each other as I've loved you."

I think that this phrase sums it up pretty well. You dont need to believe in a god, a christ, a baptism, to save your soul (Even if you dont believe you have a soul). YOu have to respect and love your brothers, and try to act with good faith. You have to act according to the natural laws we all have since we are born.

No offense RAM, but didn't you just made up your own rules saying they are the "message" of Christ?

How many hours a week do you spend studying the Bible? Do you know what it is about? Saying that you think Jesus is a swell guy and that belief will save you is a big reach my friend. Why don't you just say you don't believe in Jesus? I hope that you change your beliefs RAM, you'd make a fiery preacher.  :)

Originally posted by mrfish:i try to be a straight shooter and i think if i were going to be a christian i would have to understand and follow the doctrine as close to the letter as i could. if you're gonna do it - do it! - ya know?

i think many have luke warm beliefs and that isn't healthy spiritually - many pick the parts they like and dismiss the rest -

Amen. mrfish, I have a book I'd like to mail you if you could give me your addy. You are a smart fella, you should join the winning side.  :)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2001, 10:48:00 PM »
hehe, Hblair!

Amen. mrfish, I have a book I'd like to mail you if you could give me your addy. You are a smart fella, you should join the winning side. :)  

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2001, 02:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:

Amen. mrfish, I have a book I'd like to mail you if you could give me your addy. You are a smart fella, you should join the winning side.     :)

hehe thanks hb - sure, as long as it isn't a bible, i have plenty of em. most of them are dogeared, yellow hightlighted and overflowing with notes in the margins and underlined verses from the bootcamp years in sunday school and weds night bible study    :) - i used to get in trouble for that but i thought the point was to study it, not look at it!

i'll read anything and at least hear it out. i have some tough problems with christian doctrine and leaving the faith wasn't a snap decision and one i'll likely never retract.

it seemed like the only thing left to do when i could no longer justify my beliefs or ignore nagging conflicts. i don't want anyone to give up their faith but they should at least ask the tough questions - i never challenged my faith enough and was kind of a blind believer. i'll message you with my addy and let me know if it's something i need to mail back - if not, then let me at least help with the postage eh? bammy's along stretch from here!

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2001, 03:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:
No offense RAM, but didn't you just made up your own rules saying they are the "message" of Christ?

No offense taken at all hblair.  :)

No, I dont think I'm making my own rules out of what He said. His words were those, was the new law, the one He introduced: "Love each other as I've loved you."

I dont know if it is said that way in english, but is the literal translation of the words I know in spanish.

That message was given by Jesus shortly before he died, was his last teach. I think it sums his message well, he always said that we should love God, but being each human a Son of God, loving each one of us, would also be loving God, right?.

At that time atheism was not really an issue. Today is common to find people who think there is no God. To believe is not required, not demanded. All we have to do is to respect our brothers, to love them, because by doing it we are loving God, even if we dont believe in Him.

Is what I think. Is what I believe   :). YOu have different points of view, and I will never get as an offense that you disagree with me in that way.

How many hours a week do you spend studying the Bible? Do you know what it is about? Saying that you think Jesus is a swell guy and that belief will save you is a big reach my friend. Why don't you just say you don't believe in Jesus? I hope that you change your beliefs RAM, you'd make a fiery preacher

Hblair until I was 16 I went to a Jesuit School, and the 2 following years I went to another school,also religious (changed of city for 2 years because my father's work demanded it to happen).

Be sure I did study the bible (was a must in the schools I went, so I would've done it anyway), and be sure I did it with an open mind. The bible is a book full of contradictions and of stories wich are, at their best, dubvious.

My conclussions brought me to the point where I stand today: THe bible is NOT a book where to base our beliefs, at least not in a blind way -"if the bible says it, it must be that way"-. It says a lot of truth, but also describes things that I can't simply take seriously. And as I say, contradictions are rampant.

Since I was 18 or so I never opened a bible again. I dont see the sense, as I said is a book written by humans, translated by humans and modified by humans. Its reliability for me as a book of faith is very small, even when it initially could be inspired by god.

Not anymore, IMO.

About Jesus, I believe in him, in that he existed, and in his message. I dont know if the speech of the mountain (is said this way in english?) happened as described in the new testament. If it did happen ,I think that He was THE MAN I would like to know personally, to spend hours asking and learning from him. Even if he was not the Son of God, a man who says such words is a man to admire. And I think he was what he claimed to be.

Maybe I believe in a different jesus than what most christian churches describe. No, not maybe, I DO believe in a Jesus who is VERY different to what we are described by any church I know.

And no I wont make a good preacher, because most preachers seem to know most things about religion, and I am not that sure. I believe, but sometimes I wonder why do I believe. A preacher never has those doubts. At least not that I know   :)

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: R4M ]

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2001, 06:09:00 AM »
Hey Ram I think I see it as you do. I think Jesus was very real indeed and I believe in his *message* also.

Not that it means anything, but I'd be interested to know... Go take that online religion test... it asks ya a boatload of questions then tells you what religion your beliefs are most in-line with.

http://www.speakout.com/ActivismTools/selectors/religion/

God is not my Father. Jesus is my brother.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
Already did it when that thread started, Nash  :) My ten first results are:

#1:    Unitarian Universalist   (100)
#2:    Liberal Quaker   (96)
#3:    Mainline to Liberal Protestant  (86)
#4:    Reform Judaism   (69)
#5:    Mahayana Buddhist   (66)
#6:    Theravada Buddhist   (66)
#7:    Orthodox Quaker   (66)
#8:    New Age   (64)
#9:    Neo-Pagan   (60)
#10:    Baháí   (60)

I found funny that I was 2.5 times more neo-pagan than catholic  ;)  :)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
Thought so...

I came up as Unitarian Universalist aswell.  :)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
this thread could go on for eternity...

Eternity, now there's a concept some do not like to face. How does one that does not believe in anything grasp the idea of eternity?

The finite mind can not comprehend an infinite thought. Sort of like placing two mirrors in front of one another.....
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2001, 08:58:00 AM »
We describe it in mathematical terms  :).

Or "so bloody long that it's senseless to argue about"  :).

Christian minds are just as finite - same problem with appreciating the true nature of infinity  :).