Author Topic: A question for Christians  (Read 3307 times)

Offline chisel1

• Zinc Member
A question for Christians
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »
"The truth is in the Bible, but unless you have an open mind about it you will never see it."

Your only open minded if you agree with ME.

So, was Joseph pissed that god nailed his wife first?

"Shall not covet thy Neighbours wife"

Guess god has his own set of rules.  ;)

If Jesus was a Jew... Did he believe himself to be the Messiah?

"Jesus was a terrorist, enemy of the State"

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
Mr.Fish-

I assumed that you could draw a conclusion from my points.

posted 08-01-2001 12:58 AM                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the question was :
does the monk go to hell?

your "answer" was:

"It doesn't matter what I am ok with, that is the problem.(that's not an answer) The point to accepting Jesus is your Savior is that you recognize His control in your life.(that's not an answer and contains two buzzphrases) If you do not allow God to control your life, you are not following Him.(that's closer but no cigar still and ripe with rhetoric) If you do not follow Him, you cannot join Him in heaven.(so where do you go if you dont join him - almost an answer, you were close there)

No Christian cheers when anyone follows the road to destruction.(the buddhist monk in my example was on a road to destruction?) Even God states in scripture it is His will that all be saved.(so whats the purpose of creating evil as an option is it a game where the losers suffer for eternity?) The trouble there is He gave everyone the choice.(still no answer)

That was my mistake, I suppose. Admit it, you didn't want a conversation, you wanted to score points. That still is your point. Now you are insinuating I am just posturing for you. Seems to me you have a chip on your shoulder and I was just stupid enough to knock it off. Your contempt for Christianity drips from every word you write.

You insult my God, expect me to accept your interpretation of my God, and think I am being pompous for not doing so. Sorry if that upsets you, but that is pretty much the way I read you at the moment. Nothing you have said, not one word, is any new argument against Christianity. If I fall back on rhetoric you have surely done the same.

Yes, I think about my friends and family in eternal damnation. I don't want that. That is why I talk to them about God. Getting upset at God about it won't change the truth about it, will it?

The Pure Monk will spend eternity in Hell if he doesn't repent. I don't know how many ways I can say it, but it doesn't matter how I feel about it- it changes nothing.

Being a Christian doesn't mean turning off your logic BTW- it does require logic be coupled with faith. Albert Einstein once said "the more I know, the more I know I don't know." Sometimes you have to accept on faith there are truths out there you don't fully understand.

I'm sure I don't overestimate your intelligence so much that I was wrong to present parables as an example- parables that, BTW, are quoted from the Bible. The "Prodigal Son" is applicable to your monk in that if he rejects Jesus he is like the lost son who chooses his own way. He can choose to come back and God will rejoice. If he does not come back he will suffer gravely. You say, "But what if he dies young and doesn't get the chance?" He does get the chance- how could a monk never hear of God?

We are all like the Prodigal Son, we all can come to God no matter what. The door is always open - yes, while we are alive - but it is always open. That isn't very mysterious, is it?

i do respect people with other faiths so long as they are humble and down to earth about it. and especially when they can explain what they believe with clarity instead of rhetoric. i can't stand people who prance around saying things like "i hang out with sinners all the time" wow how generous. i am not trying to change your mind only to point out that christians have some harsh doctrine and should just admit it.

Number one, I have admitted it was harsh, but fair. Number two, you are now twisting my words very unfairly (I hang out with sinners all the time). That remark came as a response to Leonid's very accurate point that I wasn't trying to insult or deride or shun you. You have turned it into an insult towards me, however. Number three- you allude to your belief (I must assume you mean me) that I am just prancing around playing Christian. I am not hiding any ugly truths from sight. You have access to the very same Bible I have, now wouldn't I be foolish to try to hide the Word from you? My posts have been attempts to clarify my church's beliefs.

We are now moving to the place where we are not having an objective discussion any longer. If you truly think I don't believe what I say, or that I don't practice what I am posting, what point is there in antagonizing you further? If you are going to dismiss every point I make as irrelevant (which, BTW, you have) why should I aggravate myself further? The way I see it, for me to continue this conversation with you will do more harm than good.

I told you that quoting scripture to you would not work- you then threw a jab out there saying "at least XXXX has faith enough in the Bible to try to explain it". I then give you a very simple to understand parable to illucidate a point and you return with a "you should maybe leave the mysterious parables to jesus. i am looking for an answer more like "yes he goes to hell" or "no, some other thing happens".

You can't have it both ways. I don't seem to have a way of communicating with you effectively unless I say, "Yes, you are absolutely right." I'm sorry, I just can't do that.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2001, 03:08:00 AM »
Chisel-

Go away, Troll.   :rolleyes:

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2001, 03:32:00 AM »
You're all still dancing around on the head of a pin trying to interpret the little shreds of evidence the Nazerene left behind (duly filtered by a bunch of power hungry Hellenic beaurocrats), and completly ignoring his younger brother; who left us the word of God written in scripture; and his family line on earth so that we may see his humanity for our selves.

What's all this BS of virgin births? Since when did God ever need to pull rabbits out of hats to impress us? Is he a conjurer for our entertainment?

There is no God but God.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2001, 06:05:00 AM »
Hblair... FWIW, I was raised Baptist. My grandfather was a Baptist minister.

I consider myself an atheist. That little questionnaire pegged me as a humanist.  :)
sand

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
" Albert Einstein once said "the more I know, the more I know I don't know." "

funny you should quote a sinner who is burning in hell to make your point.(albert einstein was a jew afterall)

"how could a monk not know of god?"

- are you for real kieran?     :)  he was a buhddist monk in my story what if he lived in china or india at a monastary? christians arent the only people who dedicate a life to spirituality.

unless of course christian missionaries came and put him in chains and dragged him away with his village burning like they used to he might never have heard of 'your' god. travel abroad some time - there are places where no one cares about christ and they still get along just fine.

you are down to critisizing my argument now but it has only been factual and logical from the start. yours is nothing but dogma. you use your faith to argue your faith. under that rule i might as well make up a god named 'correctus' which appeared to me in a vision and told me i was right and you were wrong. it is just as unprovable.

you want a parable? here's one for you:

a wizzened old man with a flowing white beard took six toddlers to the park and set a plate of delicious candy in front of each. he told them not to touch it and then went to hide in the bushes to observe. 4 toddlers immediately grabbed the candy - 1 hesitated then grabbed it only for a second and only 1 resisted completely as instructed. when the old man came back he took the good baby and dumped lighter fluid over the others setting them on fire. as they were screaming "why would you torture us like that" he said in a pouty voice "well you had your chance it's too late now hmpf" and walked away with his saved soul.

if there is an eternal god then surely we are children - if he cared about and loved his people he wouldn't give them a snapshot in time to determine their eternal fate on the basis of an old story riddled with inconsistencies. it sets up so many to fail! why would you create a world of temptations just to see how many of your children will fail so you can torture them forever? yeah god gives us choice but would you give a 2 yr old a choice with such grave consequences? that's my point - not to insult you but to insult the idea of this cruel invisible god. if you want to believe that fine.  

i'll ask one last time since you have danced around this question 3 times. then i'll drop it assuming you cant defend the bible on this one:

how many marys and how many angels were present at the sepulcher after jesus' resurrection according to the gospel? the accurate and inspired word of god should contain a single answer right? is that an irrational argument? is that full of contempt? i think it's only purpose is to expose an inconsistency so don't get offended.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2001, 10:50:00 AM »
mrfish
maybe you need to relocate to another part of the country for a better pov.
May I suggest anywhere east of SF   :)
mucho anger in your posts sir

ps

all this talk of "going" to heaven or hell...

psst .. look around .. you are already there! Where? that's up to you...

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Eagler ]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
you are down to critisizing my argument now but it has only been factual and logical from the start. yours is noting but dogma. you use your faith to argue your faith. under that rule i might as well make up a god named 'correctus' which appeared to me in a vision and told me i was right and you were wrong. it is just as unprovable.

This is what I mean. How am I to refute your arguments against God if I am not able to draw proof? If I quote the Bible I am just using dogma in your opinion. If I don't I am just using catch phrases and buzz words.

FWIW, I don't think your argument is all that logical or based on facts. You have based it on misconceptions and distortions. You use hypothetical situations as if they are truths. You grab minutae out of context to arrive at a preconceived conclusion. It isn't scientific any more than my argument is the work of a Bible scholar. Surely you see this? Or have you so dismissed my words by now that you can't see that?

Everyone knows there are different versions of the Bible- how could so many offshoots of Christianity exist if that was not so? At the core they are the same. I can peacefully co-exist with other religions for this reason. I feel if the opportunity to witness presents itself I should witness- that is what my religion says I should do. If someone asks how I feel about a particular point of religion I will offer an opinion. It is also a way to challenge yourself to expand in knowledge of God, and to test your faith. Sometimes (as here) it isn't all that pleasant, but usually everyone learns something.  

I would love to help you understand God better, but I don't think you really want to hear it, or I am not the person you need to hear it from. You want me to convert to your thinking of my God. If you understand the nature of anyone's belief system you must realize that isn't going to happen. I don't think I am going to convert you either. I did hope we could discuss this without the "I can't stand people like you" type stuff being thrown in.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
as promised i will drop my question since you haven't answered it. i didnt ask about variations between versions of the bible - i asked what the text said about a specific event. you can use one bible, any bible any version - any denomination-one physical book. you wont answer it because it is inconsistent plain and simple.

your faith claims the bible is the one true word of god and divinely inspired. the one true word of god is therefore inconsistent. period.

and eagler : "all this talk of "going" to heaven or hell...psst .. look around .. you are already there! Where? that's up to you..."

no kidding friend!! i couldnt agree with you more - but that is NOT the christian pov is it?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by mrfish:

and eagler : "all this talk of "going" to heaven or hell...psst .. look around .. you are already there! Where? that's up to you..."

no kidding friend!! i couldnt agree with you more - but that is NOT the christian pov is it?

Not exactly. Once I discovered that the Bible had any reference to reincarnation removed during  one of its "revisions", I set out to figure it out the best way for my own journey. The Bible isn't perfect, but it is a very good guide, New Testament being easier to read/understand than the Old, to base your life principals on. All major religions/cultures preach the same thing, the base message is the same. It our human interpretations, usually for self gain, which screws the pooch.
<S>

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler:

Not exactly. Once I discovered that the Bible had any reference to reincarnation removed during  one of its "revisions", I set out to figure it out the best way for my own journey. The Bible isn't perfect, but it is a very good guide, New Testament being easier to read/understand than the Old, to base your life principals on. All major religions/cultures preach the same thing, the base message is the same. It our human interpretations, usually for self gain, which screws the pooch.
<S>

if you started a religion based on those concepts i would shave my head and hand out flowers for it. i might even bring a tambourine.  :D

<S>

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
as promised i will drop my question since you haven't answered it. i didnt ask about variations between versions of the bible - i asked what the text said about a specific event. you can use one bible, any bible any version - any denomination-one physical book. you wont answer it because it is inconsistent plain and simple.
your faith claims the bible is the one true word of god and divinely inspired. the one true word of god is therefore inconsistent. period.

And, as you clearly illustrate, you knew what you were going to say regardless of my answer. But here is what the Life Application Bible, New International Version- Tyndale, says,

Matthew 28:1-7:

After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightening, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid him that they shook and became like dead men.

The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."  

Luke 24:1-10:

On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. while they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he is risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 'The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' Then they remembered his words.

When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary mother of James, and the others with them who told the apostles.  

This is the conflict you are trying to point out, correct? You know the books of the Bible are a collection of different authors' works? You are aware they have been translated? You will undoubtedly use this fact to point out the fallacy of the Bible's truth, and I argue the opposite- the thread of truth woven throughout the Bible is consistent. The books are inspired by God.

By the way, you haven't answered my questions: Are you perfect? Do you know anyone who is? Do you believe anyone can lead a blameless life? Do you think anyone can erase the wrong they have done in their lives?

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Kieran ]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran:

By the way, you haven't answered my questions: Are you perfect? Do you know anyone who is? Do you believe anyone can lead a blameless life? Do you think anyone can erase the wrong they have done in their lives?

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: Kieran ]

no, no, no and no, but they can balance their wrong with right in a quest for balance. also many non-christians are repentant for their deeds, myself included, just not to your or any god.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrfish:

if you started a religion based on those concepts i would shave my head and hand out flowers for it. i might even bring a tambourine.   :D

<S>

see you in the airport  :)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
C'mon... reconcile the Doctrine of Divine Mercy with the Doctrine of Infant Damnation.

Well?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.