Author Topic: more oil found...  (Read 2920 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
more oil found...
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2006, 04:50:41 AM »
Skuzzy - 4.8% APR simple interest might sound like a good deal, but have you considered the tax implications? That 4.8% you're paying is being paid out of money that has been taxed (unless you live in Bermuda, which you don't - LOL). I don't know what your rates of tax are, so please consider this example based on my tax rates. If I were to be paying 4.8% APR on a loan of £10000, that's £480. However, to invest that £10000 I've borrowed means that income from it would be subject to tax at my marginal rate of tax - my income puts me into the top rate of tax which in the UK is 40%. So... to invest the £10000 in order to yield a return sufficient after tax to cover the interest on the loan, that investment would have to pay a rate of 8% gross just to break even.

AWD as does 4WD, your towing capacity DECREASES. - masherbrum
According to my Audi Owner's Manual, the opposite is true. Here are the exact figures for the A3 with the same diesel engine as mine, all of which assume trailer with brakes:
  • 4WD - Gradients up to 8%  - 1800Kg.
  • 4WD - Gradients up to 12% - 1600Kg.
  • 2WD - Gradients up to 8%  - 1700Kg
  • 2WD - Gradients up to 12% - 1400Kg.
Let me know if you don't believe me, and I'll post the pages from the owner's manual. :aok

Saving the best till last! :D

Originally posted by Elfie
Skuzzy you are trying to talk sense to someone that cant comprehend anything outside their own little world. Beet has no idea what it is like to drive in the Rocky Mountains
My little world, huh? And how many countries have YOU been to in the last 10 years? And how many US states? I bet I have you licked on both counts. As for me having no idea about driving in the Rocky Mountains, ahem - please review the following pics I took (1998, so crappy camera) in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Yes, I drove there, as it was too far to walk. :rofl You should remember that I was working for an American company 1996-97 and spent 2 months on site in Golden,CO. I got to know Colorado quite well. :D These pics were taken the following year while visiting friends I'd known in that period.

Looking back towards the park entrance at Estes Park

Summit, but can't remember what it's called - LOL

I always enjoy points of interest, and learning new things like this...

So there you have it, Elfie. Feel free to check your FACTS next time you run your mouth on this board.

Oh yes, and as an added bonus to my knowledge of the Rocky Mountains, there's this:

Toodle-Pip, Elfie! :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
more oil found...
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2006, 07:30:19 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
If you want to look like an economic whiz, don't buy a new car.   New cars are money sinks no matter how you pay for them.  You might as well just burn your cash in the fireplace.  My Buick had 42K when I bought it, and I could have bought 4 of them for the price of a smaller, inferior new car.  

If you want that new car smell, buy it.  It comes in cans.J_A_B
I keep a car 10 to 12 years at a time and run up to 200,000 miles on them (My 300ZX TT had 176,822 miles on it when I sold it, my I30 [was the wife's car] had 235,112 miles on it when I sold it).  Buying used is not a good option as I tend to wear them out before it is all said and done.

But, if you get a new card every 3 or 4 years, I would agree, a used car can be a better deal.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
more oil found...
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2006, 07:36:51 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Just tell me she isnt one of the two types of prototypical interiour designers I seemingly always get to deal with.

Type 1- went to school to learnreally really really poor taste (read absolutely atrocious)

Type 2- Always tries to use everything they learned in school.....IN THE SAME ROOM.

There is a type 3. But I find the (usually a she, or a he that should be a she) is a VERY rare bird indeed
That actually has good taste and does a wonderful job picking out colors paterns and decor.

Oh and if she's prone to read this. Its ok to say shes in the #3 catagory even if shes really in 1, or 2.
Among other things. they also tend to be some of the biggest PIA's in the world LOL
You would like working with her.  She is a rare one.  None of the jobs she does look the same.  They all take on the character of what the owner or business is about.  She is in very high demand in the D/FW area and the company she works for treats her like a queen.  She also knows the local/state building codes better than most contractors/architects.

How she maintains to stay level headed with all the accolades she gets is beyond me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
more oil found...
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2006, 07:41:31 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Skuzzy - 4.8% APR simple interest might sound like a good deal, but have you considered the tax implications? That 4.8% you're paying is being paid out of money that has been taxed (unless you live in Bermuda, which you don't - LOL). I don't know what your rates of tax are, so please consider this example based on my tax rates. If I were to be paying 4.8% APR on a loan of £10000, that's £480. However, to invest that £10000 I've borrowed means that income from it would be subject to tax at my marginal rate of tax - my income puts me into the top rate of tax which in the UK is 40%. So... to invest the £10000 in order to yield a return sufficient after tax to cover the interest on the loan, that investment would have to pay a rate of 8% gross just to break even.
Beet, my current investments are pulling in just over 6.5% in non-taxable gains.  Had I cashed out to pay for the car, I would incur substantail income taxes due to gains.  In the end, I am paying less for the car at 4.8%, than I would if I had cashed out some investments to pay for it.
And I am not even counting the loss on the money removed from my investments.
Most all my investments are in non-taxable items.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
more oil found...
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2006, 08:15:07 AM »
yep... curval and nilesen... you don't need to borrow money if you live off of your parents money... is that what you call "economic wizards"?

I drive one 23 mpg Lincoln town car about 10K a year and one 12 mpg 468 inch big block car about 8 k a year and one 12 mpg Healey about 6k a year... the biggest expenses on the later two is not fuel.

I borrowed about 12 k on the Lincoln but the interest will only be about $600 over 4 years.   I bought back some retirement with my money instead of sinking it into a car...  I pay for stuff I need as I can but that is not allways possible.     My house will pay for another house free and clear and leave enough to pay off any other debt (and then some) that I may incur..

I am no financial wizard and have never made that much but everything seems to be working out ok.   I will not scrimp and save and not enjoy life.

lazs

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
more oil found...
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2006, 08:15:10 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You would like working with her.  She is a rare one.  None of the jobs she does look the same.  They all take on the character of what the owner or business is about.  She is in very high demand in the D/FW area and the company she works for treats her like a queen.  She also knows the local/state building codes better than most contractors/architects.

How she maintains to stay level headed with all the accolades she gets is beyond me.

Oh man, Maybe I should move to Texas. I could use a breath of fresh air like that.

The very vast majority I see around here have things either look puke ugly.
Or like an acid induced circus on steroids.

Cant tell you how many times I've seen homowners make the mistake of giving the decorator carte blanche to do whatever they wanted only to come home and say "no,no,no" Or if they are lucky enough to be home, stop the whole thing part way in and say "this just isnt gonna work" at which point the designer/decorator will spend anywhere from several hours to several days arguing.

On the other hand. When I see a good one, they are usually very very good. I just wish there were more of them
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
more oil found...
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2006, 08:16:29 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Come on Rip, your slipping!

Two threads going about stuff you own and you still haven't worked in the square footage of your home or the size of your 401K...
How about if I post about my land investments, would that make up for it?:confused:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
more oil found...
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
yep... curval and nilesen... you don't need to borrow money if you live off of your parents money... is that what you call "economic wizards"?
lazs

Who says we are living of my parents money ?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
more oil found...
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2006, 08:50:55 AM »
Your parents supply you with cars and boats... the things most people go into debt for.  I have no idea what they give you otherwise but you are fortunate to have parents that can help.   Many in America do not.

You will probly inherit enough money to make your life easier.   I imagine that your schooling and living before you worked was much easier than some due to help from your parents... I don't know this so.... may be wrong... it is what I have gleaned from things you have said.

many here that are critical of people in debt have had a lot of help from relatives... some have been put through expensive schools and now feel that their accomplishments are their own...  many feel that sitting at a desk for 4 or more years entitles them to not only a good wage but to claim they earned it.

I am saying that for a lot of people the road is much more difficult.

many who had no help are doing really well and it is allways impressive to me.  

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
more oil found...
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2006, 09:02:05 AM »
Yes.. I have been fed, clothed and given a good education. I have also inherited money from my mother and grandparents after they died. That is a good thing for me but even if I had not I would never live beyond my means and borrowed money for things I could be without.

The house was buildt with money we had saved by working and not buying things we did not need.

I guess i should have given the money I got from the family to charity, but I blame greed I guess.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
more oil found...
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2006, 09:09:29 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Yes J_A_B, and the other thing about the 4WD is that it makes the floor higher, so less luggage space.  If you can buy a new car it shows you ARE an economic whiz! - or something like that. However, it's now after midnight and my A3 has probably turned into a pumpkin, so I bid you toodle-pip. :)

LOL Rip - I don't know where your European video is from (only looked at the first few secs) but one of my favourite weekend break spots is this. Straffo might recognise it ;) But it's full of posers, and for me to be saying that, you know it must be bad! :lol

You want boats? We got boats...

Pretty nice Beet! That marina looks like one of our smaller ones here in Puget Sound. We had our previous 20 footer moored here about 2 miles from our house in Federal Way, for a reasonably $70 per month moorage.
Here is the view from this particular Marina:
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/9360539/133558329.jpg

Take a look at our nautical backyard on the link posted below, open 365 days a year!  now 7 miles from where we live, this is the reason that my goal is a 28 foot cabin cruiser when I get closer to 50 years old;

Use the arrows at the top of the page to scroll thru the pics, its really wonderful scenary!
http://www.railgrab.com/aerial_photos/pages/puget_sound_photos_ballard.htm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:13:12 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
more oil found...
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

Like Nielsen I have been educated and provided many opportunities as the result of my parents and also my grandparents.

To bluntly state that I live off my parents money is somewhat insulting though.  It also isn't true.

Grind your axe somewhere else.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
more oil found...
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2006, 09:19:30 AM »
curval... don't be so sensitive... if you really feel that you earned it it should be no big deal.   read what I said...  I said that you had opportunities that many people that you make fun of do not.   You really shouldn't criticize people who did not have such help for being in debt...

I know people who could not get into school (much less a good one)  They are not dumb tho and you should be glad they aren't out competing with you on an even basis.

I know guys who are in debt for school to the tune of 6 figures allmost.   would that have made your life a little harder?  what about knowing that you had no safety net... that you either sank or swam when you were younger?  no contacts... nothing.

lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
more oil found...
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2006, 09:19:52 AM »
Your parents supply you with cars and boats... the things most people go into debt for.  I have no idea what they give you otherwise but you are fortunate to have parents that can help.   Many in America do not.

You will probly inherit enough money to make your life easier.   I imagine that your schooling and living before you worked was much easier than some due to help from your parents... I don't know this so.... may be wrong... it is what I have gleaned from things you have said.

many here that are critical of people in debt have had a lot of help from relatives... some have been put through expensive schools and now feel that their accomplishments are their own...  many feel that sitting at a desk for 4 or more years entitles them to not only a good wage but to claim they earned it.

I am saying that for a lot of people the road is much more difficult.

many who had no help are doing really well and it is allways impressive to me.  

lazs

Also, when one becomes somewhat successful, they feel they've earned it alittle more and are definately not defensive about the luxury items that they've accumulated. (Nor modest! waves to Midnight! :D)

I started out adult life with a suitcase full of clothes, $100 dollars, 1700 miles away from "home". Never asked for a dime since, and did it all on my own, including education. (Well, OUR own, my wife has contributed to our success!)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
more oil found...
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2006, 09:45:40 AM »
curval... don't be so sensitive... if you really feel that you earned it it should be no big deal.   read what I said...  I said that you had opportunities that many people that you make fun of do not.    

That was a backtracking post AFTER you said Nielsen and I lived off of our parents.

I'm not making fun of people in debt.  

Read what Dago said...he claims every single American can AFFORD a car (throwing a jibe at Beet1e).  That is absolute nonsense...but you don't call him on that.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain