Author Topic: A Few Observations...  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
A Few Observations...
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
For those that know the feeling, it is like recognizing an old friend that has been missing.

Agreed..  And that remark right there is the very thing I'm talking about.  And watching people who DON'T understand those basics has led to a pretty good month for me.

Like you, I've done the real stalls and know how they develop, and I know that anyone who has done that recognizes things long before the horn starts going off.  I know you already know this, but for those out there that don't the stall horn is meant to be the 'hey stupid, wake up!' noise...

I think you misinterpreted my remarks initially... I don't fly in AH with an assumption I'm gonna live.. Jeez, look at my numbers, its pretty clear.  And I don't care if someone does want to sit down there in the trees at 80mph with the flaps out... No skin off my back... But when that same guy starts to complain because his airplane suddenly started acting more like an airplane should in those conditions... Then I'm ready to make a remark.  And I did.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »
I think you misinterpreted my remarks initially... Then I'm ready to make a remark. And I did.
I didn't misinterpret your remarks.  You stated that you do have a problem with people stall fighting.
Totally agree... And frankly, while I know this is a game and not a pure 'simulation' anything that puts a stop to unrealistic play styles (such as spitfire stall fighting) is a good thing.

So you now agree this is a stoopid statement? Or do you still want to stop everyone who enjoys a good stall fight?  Now I am confused since you are saying two different things.  Did you mean to say you mis-spoke and we now agree? :D
Nobody in the war WANTED to be slow and low. It happened, and some planes did well (hurricane) in that environment... But no pilot (not even in a hurricane) deliberately placed himself in that situation.

And now the stall fighters of AH are learning why.

I like it.

Don't get me wrong, I fly pretty maneuverable planes (spit9 mostly)... But I'll take speed and good tactics before small turning radius any day.

I still want to be low and slow.  Sometimes that is the only way to get the lemmings to come down and fight.  

The buffet makes it easier to stall fight, this is contrary to what you said above.  If you said The noobs will have a harder time rather than The Stall Fighters I would have agreed with you.  Just because some noobs might find it a little more difficult at first, doesn't mean they are not going to realize the benefit and get better.  Thus making stall fighting even more realistic, rather than unrealistic.
Explain why it is stupid... Spit 'stall fighting' is unrealistic... I've never seen any documentation that a pilot in a genuine spitfire in the real world used this as the preferred method of fighting.. Speed is life is the battle cry.. I've never heard 'Low and slow is life'.
Of course WWII engagements didn't start out low and slow because real pilots only got one life and thus would only engage when they really had to.  For most in this game the point is to fight.  A spit has the ability to fight low and slow, why should we not fight like that in this game.  To expect people not to fly the planes in all their forms and capability is stoopid.  Do you log off when you die the first time?

Of course work is slow and I am bored or I woulda let you off the hook.  LOL :D

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 09:30:53 AM »
The P51 got porked just as bad as the P38 if not worse.  It turns like a pig now and just yesterday I was moving in on a bandits six, I went up, over, and with my nose pointed to the ground....went into a sudden spin and lawn darted.

Back to being cannon fodder I guess...........

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 10:41:27 AM »
Originally posted by bigsky406
The P51 got porked just as bad as the P38 if not worse.  It turns like a pig now and just yesterday I was moving in on a bandits six, I went up, over, and with my nose pointed to the ground....went into a sudden spin and lawn darted.

Back to being cannon fodder I guess...........

Two days ago I got jumped by a NIKI and something else.  I was in a 51.  Did not see them untill they were on my six.  They both died.  Does that mean the NIKI and what ever the other was are porked?

They made a mistake and so did you.  Nothing to do with the planes we were in.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline bigsky406

• Zinc Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »
========================================================
Two days ago I got jumped by a NIKI and something else. I was in a 51. Did not see them untill they were on my six. They both died. Does that mean the NIKI and what ever the other was are porked?

They made a mistake and so did you. Nothing to do with the planes we were in.
========================================================

So a stall-spin while going into a dive is normal.  Thanks for the info and redefining Physics.

Mistakes, ya sure I make plenty of them but, I also know the difference.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2006, 11:09:39 AM »
Originally posted by bigsky406

So a stall-spin while going into a dive is normal.  Thanks for the info and redefining Physics.

Mistakes, ya sure I make plenty of them but, I also know the difference.

Do you stall spin everytime you go into a dive?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
So a stall-spin while going into a dive is normal. Thanks for the info and redefining Physics.
Pull hard enough at any angle and you will snap stall every time all the time.

Offline Pieper

• Zinc Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »
sounds like HT just killed this thread too......time to move on I guess
Pooface. How it works is exactly as BadBoy describes. I will not ramp the buffet because it's purpose is to let you know when you went to far.
See Rule #14

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
S!

can i still aim the pointy end down the runway and fly?

:)

Wabbit Season!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC