Author Topic: A Few Observations...  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
A Few Observations...
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »
i've noticed since the buffet was added the planes have changed dramatically. im now finding that spit are outturned, while using flaps, by much less maneuverable planes. im not really sure what the buffet does to the turn radius or turn rate of a plane, possibly HT could explain what happens now?

but, i was just wondering, if the effect could be dampened a little, and 'ease' in, instead of just suddenly being there.

any chance of this?

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
A Few Observations...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »
Just think of it as a new plane you learn to fly. :)

PS: How are you Hurr1 kills coming along?
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: A Few Observations...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 05:41:01 PM »
Originally posted by Pooface
i've noticed since the buffet was added the planes have changed dramatically. im now finding that spit are outturned, while using flaps, by much less maneuverable planes. im not really sure what the buffet does to the turn radius or turn rate of a plane, possibly HT could explain what happens now?

but, i was just wondering, if the effect could be dampened a little, and 'ease' in, instead of just suddenly being there.

any chance of this?

Hi Pooface,

The buffet doesn't actually do anything to the turn radius or turn rate of the aircraft in Aces High. All the buffet does is warn you when you are reaching the stall.

The Spitfires can still tighten their turn considerably when they use their flaps, as they could before. However, riding the edge of the envelope is certainly different now and hardly surprising considering that there have been changes to the flaps and slats that will result in different low speed aerodynamics, particularly when coupled with the changes to the thrust model.

These changes are going to involve a learning curve for everyone, as we rediscover how the aircraft perform. Some aircraft have been affected by the changes more than others, the P-38 for example, has much lower Ps than before, while the Spitfires appear to have come through the changes rather well, in comparison.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
i still think the effect should 'ease' in. as it is now, suddenly the aircraft starts to vibrate, it shouldnt really be instant like that.

i heard about the 38's though, which is kinda weird. oh, and schatz, i get a break from work next week for a while over easter, so i can fly a lot more then. the last month i've only really flown in the TA, not enough time for MA sorties:(

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 08:01:39 PM »
Look me up when your ready to fly the MK1 in the MA...
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
A Few Observations...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Point is, if your in the vibration, your turn performence is droping. Sound and shake happen post stall.

HiTech

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
Yeah 38 pretty porked now in the low and slow.

38 rocked in the vertical and now its got nothing to show.:confused:

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 05:26:48 AM »
will do cav! did a hurri 1 mission a few weeks ago with a few guys, and we got about 15 kills between us lol

and lazerr, mudr, i flew the 38 yesterday in the TA, and it was really odd! i had mustangs beating me in the vert, and the pilots were all noobs, not even using flaps, and asking what button you push to lower gear:rolleyes:

i was never great in that 38, but i was better than that! lol

i think the reason it makes such a difference is because it is so instant. im sure it would be better if it faded in just a little, so we had a little warning.

HT, could you possibly explain what the buffet does? if i was flying flaps out just over the buffet speed and AoA, and then crossed the envelope, and went full stick back, which would turn me tighter/faster?

would be very useful to know i think

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
A Few Observations...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 07:56:44 AM »
1st , I am not HT, Poo :-)   ( btw, I am assuming you are talking/referencing the slow end of the flight envelope regarding Speed )

HT, could you possibly explain what the buffet does?

buffet tells you , you are at the edge or just past it of the flight envelope of your plane ( simple answer )

if i was flying flaps out just over the buffet speed and AoA, and then crossed the envelope, and went full stick back,

I would say if you was flying with flaps out and over the buffet speed / AoA, and crossed and pulled stick full back, you would STALL or possibly even spin if ya had any type of cross control input ...ie alierons & elevators or elevators/rudder or all 3.....

which would turn me tighter/faster?

might turn faster and tighter by spinning  ;)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 08:11:28 AM »
HT, could you possibly explain what the buffet does? if i was flying flaps out just over the buffet speed and AoA, and then crossed the envelope, and went full stick back, which would turn me tighter/faster? would be very useful to know i think

I'm not sure if HT will respond, but I can explain that for you, and my apologies if this is a bit lengthy.

You have basically asked two questions, what the buffet does, and what would happen if you were just above the stall/buffet speed, and then used aft stick to increase the angle of attack into post stall flight.

Before I answer those questions, I should say a few words about the stall, just to make sure we are on the same page. Normally, the amount of lift generated by a wing is directly proportional to the angle of attack, that is they vary linearly with respect to each other. That means that if you were to plot lift against angle of attack, the graph would be a straight line. However, as the angle of attack increases, there is a point where the lift begins to fall off and that is known as stalling. That corresponds to the point where the angle of attack has increased to the point that the air flow around the wing can no longer follow the shape of the wing and begins to separate from it, forming a turbulent wake that starts near the trailing edge of the wing. It can happen gradually, or sharply depending on the profile and geometry of the wing. For examples of wing geometry, with a rectangular wing the air begins to separate near the trailing edge at the root first, so the aircraft suffers root stall, which is desirable because if the wing stalls near the root first the ailerons remain effective longer. With an elliptical wing the air separates more evenly along the trailing edge of the whole wing so there is only little advance warning of a complete stall. Most WWII aircraft have a wing taper approximately equivalent to that of elliptical wings. Wings with more taper than that tend to stall near the tips first and that is very undesirable because it promotes lateral instability. These affects can be modified with twist, washout, camber and the use of different wing sections along the span. The profile of the wing is also important, and sharper leading edges tend to result in abrupt stalls, while larger more rounded leading edges stall less abruptly. That is why trainer aircraft have fairly round leading edges, and that often causes problems when pilots convert to real fighters, because they are often surprised when their aircraft stalls with much less warning than they are used to.

The reason for the loss of lift, and stall is due to the separation I mentioned earlier. Normally it starts near the trailing edge of the wing and moves forward as the stall becomes deeper creating a turbulent wake. It is that turbulent flow impinging on the aft portions of the fuselage and on the empennage that cause the buffet and the sound that pilots in WWII called the burble. The turbulent wake is significant because not only is lift lost in stalling, but the turbulent flow over the control surfaces at the wing and tail reduce the control effectiveness/power, which is one of the reasons for a high rudder at the tail, to ensure lateral control at high angles of attack.  

Now to answer your first question. The buffet and associated noise are both characteristics that are symptomatic of the stall, they don't do anything themselves, other than make gunnery a little more erratic. If you had asked what does the stall do, the answer would be that stalling reduces lift, increases drag and causes buffeting and noise due to the turbulent wake.

The point is that while the buffeting is new, the stall has always been there, and the buffeting doesn't add anything new other than the movement and sound you hear on the screen, the aerodynamics of the stall are the same as they always were, it is just that now you have a much better indication of when the stall occurs.

To answer your second question, if you continue to pull aft stick once you reach the stall, you will lose lift and gain drag, and that means that you lose the ability to turn as well, and when you are outside the envelope, you risk departure from controlled flight. But those effects are caused by the stall not by the buffet, and that has not changed, the buffet just warns you when it is about to happen.

i think the reason it makes such a difference is because it is so instant. im sure it would be better if it faded in just a little, so we had a little warning.

You do get a warning, the volume of the stall horn increases gradually up to the stall when the aircraft begins to buffet, or burble, as they called it in WWII. Ideally, you should approach the stall gently, so that you don't overshoot and lose lift. In the past, the stall horn did exactly the same job as it does now, but you had no clear indication of when you had stalled until you noticed the lateral instability, that is the tendency to drop a wing and enter a spin, or the loss of lift and nose down pitch stability and by then it was already too late.

That's why some folk complained, because their aircraft was dropping a wing, or spinning with out any warning, now the warning is there, as HT always intended it would be. I already notice that the buffet and associated sound are already helping folk to avoid that and flying aircraft that had a tendency towards lateral instability is now easier.

Lastly, I just want to add, that all this is not directly related to other changes we are noticing in the flight model, the differences in the P-38 with full flaps, for example. Those things are being caused by changes in the flap and thrust modelling that have had an influence on the excess power available in the low speed region of the envelope. So if you notice that the spitfire behaves differently at low speed, it isn't because the buffet is doing anything that wasn't happening before, it is because the flap and thrust modelling has changed.

I will be producing EM diagrams for the new flight model and overlaying them to discover what impact the changes have had on dissimilar air combat, particularly for the aircraft where there is an obvious difference,  and I'll pass on the diagrams and conclusions as I produce them.

Hope that helps...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 10:01:14 AM »
cool. yeah, what i really wanted to know was if it was better now to turn outside of the buffet, or inside. answered it well BB, ty:)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »
Originally posted by Lazerr
Yeah 38 pretty porked now in the low and slow.

38 rocked in the vertical and now its got nothing to show.:confused:

:(
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline yayyyy

• Nickel Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
:(

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 10:55:49 AM »
Origionaly posted by pooface.

Well all i can say is im happy AH got one step closer to realism with its flight model, dont dum it down so people can ease into it or else no one will even realize what was changed, there by learning something.

Im just amazed that the prop slip stream and static thrust have been "off" for all  this time since they obviously make a big difference in terms of Flight modeling accuracy and ah was known for being pretty accurate before this patch, how could we have gone so long without things as rudamentary as a stall buffet? I guess this latest patch addresses any gripes i used to have in terms of "feel".

Seems like this patch was significant enough to call this ah3.  Anyhoo to all the hard work that is making AH the most succesfull air combat mogg out there, i guess its necasary to ease things in like this because if it were introduced earlier on it might have scared people off because of the learning curve. Now we can brag about ahs flight modeling even more!

I belive HTC has more credibility than Oleg Maddox of il2, and he wont cave to the gamers that want it "their way". AH will be accurate!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 11:33:29 AM by eilif »

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
A Few Observations...
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 11:44:17 AM »
with ya there eilif.

but, in real life, the buffet doesnt just appear to go from 0 to full intensity with a few degrees, it does ease in just a little (there are varying degrees of buffet, not just on/off). so my point is really that it should fade slightly