Author Topic: How high are $$$ now  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »
Just looked at the price of petrol here. It's a whooping 1.6 USD per litre.
Diesel is a tad lower.

Wonder what your ride you'd pick in the US if the prices were like that :D

(Just returned from town...on a bike)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2006, 12:29:22 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Just looked at the price of petrol here. It's a whooping 1.6 USD per litre.
Diesel is a tad lower.

Wonder what your ride you'd pick in the US if the prices were like that :D

(Just returned from town...on a bike)
Me personally? Gas prices wouldn't affect me personally until it hit about $10/gallon. Then I might only go on 4 fishing trips a year, rather than 5. :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »
ok beet... I guess we will just have to agree that we don't have the faintest idea of what the other person is saying.

We do not need to do anything with our gas prices except to reduce the tax on them.   We may or may not run short of oil...  new tech may or may not reduce demand...   Tax and fees are not the answer.   new oil supplies that exceed what we have used all the way up to today may be discovered.... or not...  If not...  price will reach a point where converting coal or plants or recovering shale oil or whatever will be practical and that will be the leveling off point...

We may reduce demand by not using oil for anything but manufacturing of products and for some or most of our vehicles... who knows?

I say we are doing it right...  we are letting the supply and demand set price.... you think a tax or fee would help... I disagreed with toad and you on this....  we could offer rewards easily without additional fees.  a few billion is a drop in the bucket... we spend ten times that much on stupid grants for stem cell research in one state here for instance.

price rising by supply and demand are self leveling and self healing solutions....why mess with it?

The latest "solution" is to do away with or reduce the price gouging sales tax (one of about 4 taxes on fuel)... this seems pretty good to me.

lazs

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2006, 03:47:58 PM »
per USA Today, today . . . the country in which i live has the lowest gas prices in the nation. :huh

hap

oh, paid 2.35 for last fill up

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »
dam hap 2.75 here in Boston
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #260 on: May 03, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »
Since last Saturday, From San Antonio to Austin I've seen prices bounce back and forth from  $2.73 (Lackland AFB) to $2.77 (San Marcos) and $2.88 (South Austin) to $2.75 (North Austin)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2006, 05:34:13 PM »
sorry to hear that rusty.  it's bad all over.  i'm 3 miles from work, fat and summers coming.  think i'll walk some :cool:

hap

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »
lol me 3 hap
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »
Got u beat. 100 yards from work, fill up twice a month at most. But regular is $3.36.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2006, 09:39:15 PM »
henh.

gotcha all beat. my morning commute runs from the bedroom to the crapper to the kitchen to the welder.

10 steps total.

daily trip to the postoffice.. 2 short blocks. 824 yards.

Used to go through a tank a week.. runnin around; runnin around.

Been 8 days since i gassed up. Needle is still on 'Full'.

I'm gonna beat this addiction.

**** foregin oil.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #265 on: May 04, 2006, 03:37:44 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
henh.

gotcha all beat. my morning commute runs from the bedroom to the crapper to the kitchen to the welder.

10 steps total.

daily trip to the postoffice.. 2 short blocks. 824 yards.

Used to go through a tank a week.. runnin around; runnin around.

Been 8 days since i gassed up. Needle is still on 'Full'.

I'm gonna beat this addiction.

**** foregin oil.

I owe u a drink.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2006, 04:07:29 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
We do not need to do anything with our gas prices except to reduce the tax on them.  
What difference is that going to make? The federal tax is what - 18 cents/gallon? Not going to make a huge dent in the price, Lazs. All that would happen is that people would drive more, buy more gas, and the increased demand would push the price back up. You'd be right back to square one.
I say we are doing it right... we are letting the supply and demand set price.... you think a tax or fee would help... I disagreed with toad and you on this.... we could offer rewards easily without additional fees. a few billion is a drop in the bucket... we spend ten times that much on stupid grants for stem cell research in one state here for instance.
I think Toad's point was that a small fee or tax of 10 cents/gallon (in his example) could be used to fund development of new fuel technologies. America's long term goal should be to wean itself off imported oil, and certainly OPEC oil. You're probably one of those people who think of the Carter energy policies as bad, and the Reagonomics of pulling the plug on CAFE as a good thing. As I recall this was done to stimulate the US oil business. People came to think of the Carter years as "bad", and with relaxation of CAFE came the SUV era. Whey-hey! Party time! Big-block V8 engines are back in vogue!

Ask yourself - do you think this policy increased or decreased America's dependence on foreign oil? The next question is - do you think this was a good thing or a bad thing?

You've had your gas party - now it's hangover time.
new oil supplies that exceed what we have used all the way up to today may be discovered....

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2006, 05:18:13 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
Got u beat. 100 yards from work, fill up twice a month at most. But regular is $3.36.

Wolf

You use a CAR to drive 100 yards? Do you look at paraplegics in wheelchair with envy?
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2006, 06:21:08 AM »
Originally posted by deSelys
You use a CAR to drive 100 yards? Do you look at paraplegics in wheelchair with envy?
It appears he is talking about the distance the gas station is from his work place, and not how far the drive is.  I could be wrong as it could be interpreted either way.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
How high are $$$ now
« Reply #269 on: May 04, 2006, 06:31:26 AM »
Originally posted by aztec
I always wondered how much fuel say...NASCAR uses in a season. These figures available?

Yes. It's called "a drop in the bucket". Use of cars, trucks, RV's, motorcycles, and light aircraft, for strictly pleasure purposes, far exceed motorsports for consumption of petroleum from what I've seen published.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe