Author Topic: True definition of "Cattle Car"  (Read 752 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:13:17 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
True definition of "Cattle Car"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:16:56 PM »
flying is a last resort only proposition for me these days.... It sucks really really badly.

lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
flying is a last resort only proposition for me these days.... It sucks really really badly.

lazs
I'm about to do 3000 miles with 2 kids and a wife, a car is out of the question. We leave for Walt Disney World at 11pm and arrive 8am the next morning. The only way to fly with kids  I could NOT imagine having to stand for 6 hours on a flight.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:28:09 PM »
midwest airlines signature service
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »
Flew to Mississippi and back recently on a Canadair Regional Jet. I'd flown in one with a three across (2 and 1) configuration, which while cramped was not too bad, this one however had a 2 and 2 configuration that was just miserable. The stewardesses actually had to move passengers out of their assigned seating in order to try and make room for some of the bigger people on the plane. I'm only 5'9 and weigh 180 lbs and the guy next to me wasn't much larger, and we spent the entire trip in constant body contact. The "seat" didn't recline more than a few milimeters and was so upright that I arrived with a vicious neck ache. It felt like I'd been leaning with my back against a wall for over an hour. The toilet was the most ludicrously small convenience I've ever been in. I literally felt like I was relieving myself in one of my daughter's play kitchen sets. And coffee? Can I just get some coffee or my own personal grown up size can of soda? And for this I paid over half a grand? Oy.

Overall, I'm sad to say that my flying experience has done nothing but decline since the 1970s. At this point, I seriously expect we'll end up flying standing up holding on to a strap in a steel tube.

Somebody better hurry up and invent either the hovercar or the transporter.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:29:51 PM »
Rip for me..it would be Disney World that was out of the question. There must be a low end local theme park near you like Uncle Wiggleys Magic Rock Garden.

~AoM~

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:53:42 PM »
is there any truth to the standing room concept or is that just anti airbus propaganda..cuz that looks plain ridiculous
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 04:06:08 PM »
We go to Alaska from Ohio almost every summer with three little kids.  It takes pretty much all day to get there.  I dred the day that is coming soon.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Flew to Mississippi and back recently on a Canadair Regional Jet. I'd flown in one with a three across (2 and 1) configuration, which while cramped was not too bad, this one however had a 2 and 2 configuration that was just miserable. The stewardesses actually had to move passengers out of their assigned seating in order to try and make room for some of the bigger people on the plane. I'm only 5'9 and weigh 180 lbs and the guy next to me wasn't much larger, and we spent the entire trip in constant body contact. The "seat" didn't recline more than a few milimeters and was so upright that I arrived with a vicious neck ache. It felt like I'd been leaning with my back against a wall for over an hour. The toilet was the most ludicrously small convenience I've ever been in. I literally felt like I was relieving myself in one of my daughter's play kitchen sets. And coffee? Can I just get some coffee or my own personal grown up size can of soda? And for this I paid over half a grand? Oy.

Overall, I'm sad to say that my flying experience has done nothing but decline since the 1970s. At this point, I seriously expect we'll end up flying standing up holding on to a strap in a steel tube.

Seagoon I hate, despise and loathe RJs for those exact reasons.  Unfortunately I might be the bigger guy. 6'0 and 220lbs.  My last trip was from Columbus to Charlotte in an RJ and onward to Orlando in a 757.  I actually am not sure which would've been worse.  I had my window seat...that you can't see out of in the CRJ.  I was assigned to the middle seat in the 75.  Guy walks up the aisle and asks if I'd like the window seat, I ask if he's sure to which he replies to the affirmative and I am no longer relegated to spend my flight with my arms in my lap curving my shoulders forward waiting for the never ending hell to end.

Two weeks later while waiting to board I arrive early.  Typing away on my laptop and what not the flight for Washington DC leaves and the people start arriving for the flight from Orlando to Columbus...non-stop.  A glance to the right...to the left...straight ahead.  "Uh-oh." runs through my mind.  It's like being in line at walmart.  Loud kids with parent's who don't care enough to think that maybe not everyone wants to hear them whine about every little thing.  That it's okay to run around the boarding area and jump on the seats and rock you back and forth.  Aviation expert dad's telling their kids the what-for and why-is of aviation and airlines while their kids stuff their face with carnie food.

Tank top shirts, Mickey Mouse and joe dirt's long lost relatives all start to swarm around the airplane.

Like music to my ears "We have a limited number of upgrades to first class for $100" comes over the speaker systems.  I nearly threw my computer on the floor trying to race to get to the gate agent and snag up the deal of a lifetime.  I wound up spending an extra $100 of my company's money, drinking myself into a nice nap and eating these fancy chocolate wafery things while sitting in first class.  Wearing shorts :cool: :D :lol

Good thing I was traveling alone!

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:16:38 PM »
im guessing that airbus proposed the standing configuration for the european high volume low cost market.

London - Amsterdam (40 mins or so)
London - Spain (2 hours or so)

for the likes of easyjet / ryanair.  i guess that they didnt have 6 hour standing trips in mind...
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 06:07:39 PM »
:huh what are those people at Airbus thinking nobody would want to stand ...

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
My guess would be that the only airlines that would buy such a configuration would be from such countries as Japan or Taiwan where the populace is already used to standing room only on trains and such.  

For short trips it wouldn't be too bad but I don't think anyone in the U.S. or Europe would ever pay to travel in such a configuration.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:38:21 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Seagoon I hate, despise and loathe RJs for those exact reasons.  Unfortunately I might be the bigger guy. 6'0 and 220lbs.  My last trip was from Columbus to Charlotte in an RJ and onward to Orlando in a 757.  I actually am not sure which would've been worse.  I had my window seat...that you can't see out of in the CRJ.  I was assigned to the middle seat in the 75.  Guy walks up the aisle and asks if I'd like the window seat, I ask if he's sure to which he replies to the affirmative and I am no longer relegated to spend my flight with my arms in my lap curving my shoulders forward waiting for the never ending hell to end.

Two weeks later while waiting to board I arrive early.  Typing away on my laptop and what not the flight for Washington DC leaves and the people start arriving for the flight from Orlando to Columbus...non-stop.  A glance to the right...to the left...straight ahead.  "Uh-oh." runs through my mind.  It's like being in line at walmart.  Loud kids with parent's who don't care enough to think that maybe not everyone wants to hear them whine about every little thing.  That it's okay to run around the boarding area and jump on the seats and rock you back and forth.  Aviation expert dad's telling their kids the what-for and why-is of aviation and airlines while their kids stuff their face with carnie food.

Tank top shirts, Mickey Mouse and joe dirt's long lost relatives all start to swarm around the airplane.

Like music to my ears "We have a limited number of upgrades to first class for $100" comes over the speaker systems.  I nearly threw my computer on the floor trying to race to get to the gate agent and snag up the deal of a lifetime.  I wound up spending an extra $100 of my company's money, drinking myself into a nice nap and eating these fancy chocolate wafery things while sitting in first class.  Wearing shorts :cool: :D :lol

Good thing I was traveling alone!

I tried Amtrak a coupla weeks ago.. NYC to Toledo and back. Sounds just like your trip.. with a stop every hour to let on more people that don't bathe.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 07:06:12 PM »
Originally posted by ChickenHawk
My guess would be that the only airlines that would buy such a configuration would be from such countries as Japan or Taiwan where the populace is already used to standing room only on trains and such.  

For short trips it wouldn't be too bad but I don't think anyone in the U.S. or Europe would ever pay to travel in such a configuration.

Good guess. Airbus was quietly asking Asian customers if this would fit a niche in their prospective markets. But now Airbus is denying that they approached the customers.  Yeah, uh huh.  ;)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 07:38:05 PM »
If your bellybutton is fat
or your legs are extra long...
seatguru.com
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!