Author Topic: Canadian Beer rules, Eh?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« on: October 18, 2000, 05:08:00 PM »

Igloo

Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2000, 12:55:00 PM »
Now, that is funny.  I live on the St. Lawerance River, 45 mins east of Kingston.  We get a lot of Fort Drum guys at our bars on the weekend too.  They're always starting stuff.

Now we know why.  

------------------
Squadron Leader, Igloo.
C/O RCAF 411 Squadron - County of York

"Problems cannot be solved with the same awareness that created them" - Albert Einstein[/i]

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2000, 03:31:00 PM »
Having weak American Beer didn't stop the OPP from confiscating it from me one beautiful night when I was a kid smelt dipping on the beach at Pt.Pelee Nat'l Park, Learnington, Ontario.

The Opp said there was going to be a hefty fine if we wanted to stay out of jail, because we were only 16 years old and drinking. We asked them how much?

The OPP said, "How much you got?"

We told them all we could scrape up was $21 American.

The OPP said, "Thats what the fine is."

And they took it. Our Stroh's beer went into their trunk. (We were free to return to our own country) True story.

As far as the "Canadian Beer Defense" goes...
Hey, I believe the guy! I remember the first time I got Canadian beer, it was Labatt's Creme Porter I think. I had three bottles and some smoked fish, and I pulled over to the side of the road and ate lunch - drank all three beers fairly fast - it was hot. Well.... when I was done, I was a little too wobbly to get back on my motorcycle right away. What a surprize    

I didn't jump up on the picnic table and start yelling, "I am the chosen one!", though  

[This message has been edited by Gunthr (edited 10-19-2000).]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2000, 05:27:00 PM »
American beer an Canadian beers suck. Sort of thing you think is good when you're 15.

Come to England for real ale. A pub in Sheffield, The Frog and Parrot sells a beer that is 16% proof. By the pint, as well.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2000, 12:05:00 AM »
Won't get any arguments from me Dowding.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2000, 04:47:00 AM »
GMan - is there any proper beer in America or Canada? Afterall, your countries were founded by Englishmen (maybe not true for Cananda, thinking about it), surely they didn't forget how to make beer?  

Are there any small breweries that make decent ale?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2000, 04:50:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
(maybe not true for Cananda, thinking about it)

A hint, Dowding...

Never say that in front of someone from Quebec...or you'll be in danger

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2000, 08:35:00 AM »

Are there any small breweries that make decent ale?

The microbrewery trend has had a remarkably positive effect on availability of good beer here.

KC, not a huge town, has about 4-5 micros that bottle and sell in local stores. They have some pretty nice ales, too (IPA is my favorite flavor).

It's not all a bland Budweiser wasteland.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2000, 08:41:00 AM »

Afterall, your countries were founded by Englishmen (maybe not true for Cananda, thinking about it), surely they didn't forget how to make beer?  

And Englishmen were founded by the loins of the Romans, (thus the black hair that's predominent in that sector of your world) and Romans were the finest in brewing procedures.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
Tskk tsk tsk

A trip to Denmark will educate you all in the finer points of beer and beer drinking  

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2000, 01:18:00 PM »
...thus the black hair that's predominent in that sector of your world...

Eh? The roman's didn't really mix with the Britons - they used as slaves, and when they left, we continued some of their customs. Besides, alot of us are descended from those pesky Scandinavians who kept coming over and stealing the Britons women. And Hitler thought we were 'Aryan Brothers' - but then, what did he know about anything  (Image removed from quote.)?

As for Beer - it isn't a Roman invention, the Scandinavians weren't conquered by the Romans (I think) and they had it for thousands of years, same for the early Britons.

StSanta - don't you drink Carlsberg, being a Dane? That's as bad as Budweiser and is only slightly better than Foster's!!  (Image removed from quote.)

Toad - is the beer fizzy or flat, dark brown or yellow?  (Image removed from quote.)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
>>>..is there any proper beer in America or Canada?

If you consider "proper" beer to be the one with the highest alcohol content, then YOU are the one that must be 15 year-old.  

In fact, it was illegal in the US (or at least in many states) until a couple of years ago for the alcohol content to be printed on a can/bottle.  The government's thinking was that displaying the percentage by volume would encourage more drinking.  I believe it was Coors that went to court and won the case that reversed this.

Here in the US I see McEwan's sold in the stores and it's 8% (16 proof).  It's too bad that it tastes like crap in a bottle though.  On draught it's rather good.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
Notice how much they fined him: $375 CDN... or about $2 USD  

I've never tried using "I am the chosen one" before in real life, it's hard to fit into a sentance without sounding sorta self centered.  I might have to try and fit it in sometime in a regular conversation.

(kidding, it's probably more like $250 USD)

Soda

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2000, 02:43:00 PM »
Dowding, your correct about one thing, Beer  wasn't a Roman invention, but they showed the Brits how to do it properly...

You think the Romans kept their donuts in their pants after invading England? LOL!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
Canadian Beer rules, Eh?
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2000, 03:56:00 PM »
hehehe Ripsnort  

I don't see many Italians drinking real ale - so the Roman's can't have taught us that much!  

Mickey1992 - I go on taste rather than alcohol content. Afterall, if I wanted to get really pissed I'd down a bottle of turpentine.