Author Topic: The Game is called Aces High  (Read 1910 times)

Offline wylieboy

• Copper Member
The Game is called Aces High
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:46:04 AM »
You know lookin through the wish lists and stuff I have come to conclusion that most of you gentlemen have already come to.This game is suppose to be an aircraft game! not some gv game I mean gv's are nice and all and they're fun to have battles in but the real purpose for this game is for the airplanes so why are these people wanting to have new gvs and stuff. we should be askin for new airplanes and stuff that flys. well thats all

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:09:45 AM »
I always hear/read the same thing out of people who I will resist calling morons, the game is called "aces high" why are there GV's? why do people post in the wishlist for more GV's?

Do you want the short answer?

Or isn't it obvious without an explanation?

What the designer chose to name his game is irrelevant, the fact that he put the GV aspect into the game is a fact. That people pay the same $14.95 a month to play the GV side or the AC side or both is a fact. That people have equal use & priveledges to request whatever they want as long as they stay within the rules is a fact.

If I design a game and call it Ferret Fart, I can put whatever I want in it that includes NOT putting in Ferrets. It's up to the consumer to pay & play or not.

I see people ask for new planes all the time, I believe they even put some in now & then. I don't recall seeing a couple of the planes in the plane set when I started playing. The only new GV that has come along is the fearsome jeep.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:18:33 AM »
Under that logic,  wylieboy, about 80% of us should have to quit this game. The game is "Aces High", not "Dweebs High" or "Dolts High". All the people who can't manage at least a 2.0 k/d factor, and all the people who do all kinds of dweeb stuff should be expelled from the MA.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »
At least I'd get to stay!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:40:05 AM »
I thought it was a poker game, I'm still a little disappointed.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:40:17 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

...snip...

All the people who can't manage at least a 2.0 k/d factor, and all the people who do all kinds of dweeb stuff should be expelled from the MA.

Not to nitpick, but since you're calling folks dolts I thought I'd point out that because inhe arena total kills MUST equal total deaths, you CAN't throw out all the people whose kpd's are under 2.0.

As soon as you do, then everyone elses kpd drops and there's a new crop under 2.0...who are then summarily ejected.

Oh, and might be good to remember that being a newb isnt a matter of skill, it's a matter of timing...

unless I'm mistaken, we all were new to flight sims at one time or another. We only got better because we had time to get experience. People dont unlearn dweeby behavior unless they are taught, or unless there are game design incentives that encourages changes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 09:42:43 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »
Sarcasm, Simaril, sarcasm.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 09:52:51 AM »

I'd apologize sheepishly, but in this territory its downright dangerous....

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 10:12:09 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Not to nitpick, but since you're calling folks dolts I thought I'd point out that because inhe arena total kills MUST equal total deaths, you CAN't throw out all the people whose kpd's are under 2.0.

As soon as you do, then everyone elses kpd drops and there's a new crop under 2.0...who are then summarily ejected.

Oh, and might be good to remember that being a newb isnt a matter of skill, it's a matter of timing...

unless I'm mistaken, we all were new to flight sims at one time or another. We only got better because we had time to get experience. People dont unlearn dweeby behavior unless they are taught, or unless there are game design incentives that encourages changes.

Whether the orginal post was sarcasm or not, as a newb myself I appreciate your thoughts Simaril.  In my short time (just short of 2 months) on AHII I have met some wonderfully helpful people.  But there are a few that expect everyone to know everything. I spent hours offline and in the TA prior to going into the MA so that I would know the basics, but the learning curve is huge on this game.  Everytime I log on I learn something new. (usually a new way to get shot down!).

Your attitude is very refreshing and I thank you for it.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 10:53:28 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
At least I'd get to stay!

Yeah, about that.......

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse

...snip....

I spent hours offline and in the TA prior to going into the MA so that I would know the basics, but the learning curve is huge on this game.  Everytime I log on I learn something new. (usually a new way to get shot down!).

Your attitude is very refreshing and I thank you for it.

I've got "only" two years more experience than you, and in this business thats not much. A significant number of these flyers have been at it 6-10 years, and it shows.

This is my first serious attempt at a flight sim, and I cant begin to say how much I had to learn (and UNlearn).

Dont think of offline and the TA as being just for beginners -- in fact, if I could do it all over again I would spend time learning there every week. My advice:

1) Contact the trainers (see my sig) and let them show you how to get through that incredible learning curve faster. Or, jsut show up in the TA and ask for somebody to show stuff. (after 9pm est seems a good bet)

2) Turn off tracers, learn your gunsight, and practice killing drones till you know where your bullets will be. And, if you havent already, turn off stall limiter. It hurts at first, but you'll be happy you did it.

3) When you get outmatched, find yourslef wondering "How'd that happen?" -- PM the killer and ask what you did wrong. Most of the truly good sticks are open and generous with those tips...though by now you've learned some of the names its not worth asking.

4)Learn to "see" where trouble is and where its likely to come from. Swivel your views, remember where bad guys are,  learn to judge their dangerousness in speed, plane type, and alt. You ought to find yourself asking, "Shoot, where'd that Tiffy go?" -- that means you knew he was there and could hurt you.

4) When you learn something new, try it out -- in the MA, the AvA, or even Head to Head. (AvA and H2H both give you chance to fight faster with lower numbers. This weekend I messed around in H2H and found it really helpful -- there are some players who are very good, and some who give you a chance to practice gunnery on targets jsut slightly smarter than the drones...)

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 11:15:55 AM »
What the original poster is forgetting is the interaction between the A/C and G/V's in AcesHigh. It would be very boring having just buildings to bomb and attack A/C like the Il2 would be used very little.

One of my favorite things to bomb is a Tiger while flying a Stuka with the 1800kg bomb.

Figuring out the flow of the ground war and effectivley engaging the attacking horde in an attack A/C is, for some, a lot of fun.

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 11:30:11 AM »
Originally posted by Brenjen

If I design a game and call it Ferret Fart, I can put whatever I want in it that includes NOT putting in Ferrets. It's up to the consumer to pay & play or not.

so there you sit broken hearted,
you paid your dime , but no ferrets farted.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Game is called Aces High
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 11:37:46 AM »
Originally posted by wylieboy

Got a link? That  sounds like a cool game. May have to look into it.
Do they have tanks and stuff in this game?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------