Author Topic: Zarqawi Gone?  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 03:52:49 AM »
So does the missile shooter get to collect the $25 million bounty?

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 04:18:33 AM »
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 45 minutes ago
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al-Qaida-linked militant who led a bloody campaign of suicide bombings, kidnappings and hostage beheadings in Iraq, has been killed in a U.S. air raid north of Baghdad, Iraq’s prime minister said Thursday.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said al-Zarqawi was killed along with seven aides Wednesday evening in a house 30 miles northeast of Baghdad in the volatile province of Diyala.

“Today, al-Zarqawi was terminated,” al-Maliki told a news conference, drawing loud applause from reporters as he was flanked by U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad and U.S. Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq.

Al-Maliki said the air strike was the result of intelligence reports provided to Iraqi security forces by residents in the area, and U.S. forces acted on the information.

“Those who disrupt the course of life, like al-Zarqawi, will have a tragic end,” he said.

Khalilzad added “the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is a huge success for Iraq and the international war on terror.”

Most wanted militant
The Jordanian-born militant, who is believed to have personally beheaded at least two American hostages, became Iraq’s most wanted militant, as notorious as Osama bin Laden, to whom he swore allegiance in 2004. The United States put a $25 million bounty on his head, the same as bin Laden.

In the past year, he moved his campaign beyond Iraq’s borders, claiming to have carried out a Nov. 9, 2005, triple suicide bombing against hotels in Amman, Jordan, that killed 60 people, as well as other attacks in Jordan and even a rocket attack from Lebanon into northern Israel.

U.S. forces and their allies came close to capturing al-Zarqawi several times since his campaign began in mid-2003.

His closest brush may have come in late 2004. Deputy Interior Ministry Maj. Gen. Hussein Kamal said Iraqi security forces caught al-Zarqawi near the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah but then released him because they didn’t realize who he was.

In May 2005, Web statements by his group said al-Zarqawi had been wounded in fighting with Americans and was being treated in a hospital abroad — raising speculation over a successor among his lieutenants. But days later, a statement said al-Zarqawi was fine and had returned to Iraq. There was never any independent confirmation of the reports of his wounding.

U.S. forces believe they just missed capturing al-Zarqawi in a Feb. 20, 2005 raid in which troops closed in on his vehicle west of Baghdad near the Euphrates River. His driver and another associate were captured and al-Zarqawi’s computer was seized along with pistols and ammunition.

U.S. troops twice launched massive invasions of Fallujah, the stronghold used by al-Qaida in Iraq fighters and other insurgents west of Baghdad. An April 2004 offensive left the city still in insurgent hands, but the October 2004 assault wrested it from them. However, al-Zarqawi — if he was in the city — escaped.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 04:21:43 AM »
I bet that, right now, he is trying to explain to a seriously p!ssed off Allah that he thought that the quran had to be followed to the letter....
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline babek-

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.tripod.com/KG51EDELWEISS
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 04:31:03 AM »
Good news.

He was one of the worst sunni muslim fanatics and butchered many shi ite muslims, who he defined as subhuman heretics.

Not that he will not be replaced by another mad dog, but at least this one is finally dead.

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 04:35:36 AM »
Hopefully this will make a difference, I'm afraid though that someone else will step up to fill the void. Ah well, at least one got what he deserved.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 05:24:45 AM »
Confirmed Kill - excellent news!

Originally posted by Nash
RIP Zarq. Do not pass go, do not collect your 72 virgins.
:rofl

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 05:32:46 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
From what I hear, you either need to be a martyr, or a profesional basketball player. :D

Kobe!
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40:20 AM »
someone said they'd rather seen him taken alive?

that would have caused an onrush of attacks and kidnappings in an attempt to free his carzy arse

wtg all involved!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 06:43:24 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
someone said they'd rather seen him taken alive?

that would have caused an onrush of attacks and kidnappings in an attempt to free his carzy arse

Yea......and then a long, drawn out circus type affair called a trial like the Sandman. I don`t think we will see too many taken alive in the future for some strange reason.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 07:07:46 AM »
Capturing him alive and putting him on trial is too good for him.

Being blown up by a tank round in a toilet...much more satisfying.

He died knowing that he was found and that it was only a matter of time until he was returned to sender.

Can expect to see a few days of "mourning" by Al-Qaida and then some big revenge attacks for a few weeks.

Then after a month they'll peter out and resort to the occasional car bomb or suicide bombing. Then they'll realize its pointless now that their 'fearless leader' wasn't so high and mighty after all.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »
one down, thousands to go.. so, someone inside his group ratted him out.. sounds like how the mob removed the number one guy back in the day... wonder if the source was someone who wants to be in charge.. its a good day!!!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 07:23:54 AM »
I have a son that is scheduled to go back to Iraq for his second tour in a couple of months. I'm glad that bastage won't be there this time.

WTFG

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 07:33:41 AM »
A good day in this the 2nd half of the 5th year in the "global war on terror", but certainly NOT a "turning point". We've got another 45-60 years to go fellas, this one is not "so our kids can grow up in a more peacefull world", this one is for your grandkids, and maybe your great-grandkids. We aint fighting Zarquawi or OBL, or even AQ, we are fighting a thought process; and until they stop manufacturing madmen by the thousands, in the thousands of Madrassas out there, it aint over.

lalalalalalalalalalalala...BO OM!

Offline Spooky

• Copper Member
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 07:36:57 AM »
Anyone knows what type of hardware was used ? Fighter, bomber, LGB ? helo = hellfire ? laser marking by spec forces ? I know DoD won't comment on it, but I bet there will be a lot of high fives and downed beers at some squadron mess !

I can also picture the markings on the bomb or missile if they knew who the target was = "Nick Berg's revenge !"

to whoever pickled that ordnance and good riddance !

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Zarqawi Gone?
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 07:39:58 AM »
Originally posted by 101ABN
so, someone inside his group ratted him out.. sounds like how the mob removed the number one guy back in the day... wonder if the source was someone who wants to be in charge.. its a good day!!!

I beleive you are accurate in that assesment. I saw this article yesterday (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmurph/articles/20060607.aspx) and was thinking about it last night, curious timing with this morning's events.