Author Topic: Smoking: Another debate that's over.  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Smoking: Another debate that's over.
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
We have to allow people to act as they wish... punishing only when they infringe on our rights.

We gtave smokers a chance, they blew it... now majority rule says its time for them to take whats been coming to them. Ha bloody ha.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2006, 04:53:24 PM »
Originally posted by BUG_EAF322
Exactly instead they make alot of money from it.
If cigarettes where forbidden u would pay 50% more on ur fuel bill they gonna have to get from something else.

Its big money involved.

Bull****, they don't need that money for anything.

We just allow them to take a lot of money from us.  

Oh how I long for the days free of communism from all governments.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2006, 05:17:10 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
If someone is smoking near you and you don't like it, ask them to quit.  If they don't quit, leave.  If you feel like "making a point" I guess you could get in a fight over a cigarette, but I think that'd be pretty stupid.

So in other words the person who smokes has the right to force others to leave. Is that what you are advocating? In more than a few cases the issue is not one of simply being uncomfortable.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2006, 05:45:28 PM »
"Drinking is a huge killer of people.... smoking is a huge killer of people... both in the hundreds of thousands a year range here in the U.S."

Empty a lager next to me. NP.
Smoke a cigarette next to me, - oops. I have to breath the stuff.
Should I leave?
Should everyone leave?

IMHO smokers should just whiff their own stuff where nobody is affected by it.

over & out
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »

hehe

dutch freedom
:noid

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »
5- Flamebaiting, trolling, or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:55:59 AM by MP4 »

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2006, 10:29:50 AM »
I am amazed at what is passed off for science these days. We had a saying in the military: "If you were run off the road and crashed into a tree that had a beer can sitting next to it, it would be considered a alchohol related accident." It seems to be the same argument for smoking.

I typed in "second hand smoke" and "study" and couldn't find a single study on the subject. I found several sites that were pro/con and all of them referenced studies that were not linked. This argument is so abstract that it is pathetic. One site, did describe the methods used to attain the data and I found it to be anything but science. A questionare is not science. A study of the health of smoker's spouses vs non-smokers is not science (BTW... that one showed no difference). Science would tell you why this is happening, not that the person said they breathed second hand smoke and that's what did it.

I'm getting pretty disgusted with the level  of government meddling in some of these things. It's one of the reasons why I'd prefer abortion be legal: If it were illegal because the baby had rights then any consumption of alchohol, cigarettes, lack of excercise, sudden movements or anything else that would put the baby at risk would be considered child abuse. That's the legal system the world is moving to. The super-nanny system.

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2006, 01:46:12 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
I typed in "second hand smoke" and "study" and couldn't find a single study on the subject.

search for "smoking stinks" and you will find enough info hehe
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2006, 03:17:52 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
I am amazed at what is passed off for science these days. We had a saying in the military: "If you were run off the road and crashed into a tree that had a beer can sitting next to it, it would be considered a alchohol related accident." It seems to be the same argument for smoking.

I typed in "second hand smoke" and "study" and couldn't find a single study on the subject. I found several sites that were pro/con and all of them referenced studies that were not linked. This argument is so abstract that it is pathetic. One site, did describe the methods used to attain the data and I found it to be anything but science. A questionare is not science. A study of the health of smoker's spouses vs non-smokers is not science (BTW... that one showed no difference). Science would tell you why this is happening, not that the person said they breathed second hand smoke and that's what did it.

I think I can clear the scientific thing up for you. The most recent reports from the latest studies have been released and they have made rock solid, definite decisions stating...Maybe/maybe not ....Could be/Could not be........Possibly/posibly not........IF.....and then there is one privatley funded group that stands fast with their original findings of......We have a gut feeling.
You can pretty well assign that to any funded scientific study. I know it cleared it all up for me.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------