Author Topic: Idea discussed at the con.  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Idea discussed at the con.
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2006, 05:45:51 PM »
Not so sure about that, NB -- while the intent is to deal with suicide griefers, the MECHANISM Dale sugggested would have kciked in and reversed destruction.

That's why I dont think its a good solution. If the time window was less -- like 45 secs -- it might stop augerers without hurting this mission type, but at 2 minutes the limit very could hit level bombers.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy

As for this being a Quake-like solution....well, sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. It's to deal with Quake-like behavior.

Becoming the thing you dislike is never the solution. This whole thing is really is a non-issue brought on by a very vocal minority here on the bbs. This proposal, when put into effect (and I'm sure it will be) will do nothing good for the game. What will be the next thing that needs to be "fixed".
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2006, 06:12:15 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Not so sure about that, NB -- while the intent is to deal with suicide griefers, the MECHANISM Dale sugggested would have kciked in and reversed destruction.

That's why I dont think its a good solution. If the time window was less -- like 45 secs -- it might stop augerers without hurting this mission type, but at 2 minutes the limit very could hit level bombers.

Be sure...I just spoke to HT a couple of hours ago. Making sure that it doesn't negatively impact level bombers is the most important aspect of it, at this point. If he can't find a way to insure that they don't get clobbered by it, he won't write it. BTW, one of the things we talked about was delaying destruction until the time period is up. This would mean that once something was down, it would stay down. I'm not positive how he plans to do it, but, that is the direction he is leaning.

Originally posted by KTM520guy
Becoming the thing you dislike is never the solution. This whole thing is really is a non-issue brought on by a very vocal minority here on the bbs. This proposal, when put into effect (and I'm sure it will be) will do nothing good for the game. What will be the next thing that needs to be "fixed".

Wanna borrow my reading glasses? I stated in my very first post that this was my suggestion. It has nothing to do with any "very vocal minority" on this board. I discussed the idea with HT just prior to the convention. It isn't new. It is something that has bothered some folks since way before he started writing War Birds.

I believe you are probably correct, it will be implemented in some form. He was asking the board on the best way to do it...not whether or not to do it.

Bottomline, if you aren't a suicide bomber...it shouldn't affect the way you play at all. If you are....then start workin' on dem skills. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2006, 06:31:32 PM »
I'm not a suicide dweeb and I'm always looking to better myself. Each time I up a plane or GV it's never my intension to crash or get shot down. The later happens a lot though. LOL. But, how does the game know that?

The delayed destruction seems silly to me. Think about it. That would be like you hitting me in the face with a baseball bat but my jaw doesn't break untill next week. This is WWII game here. The level of technology was  pretty low back then by todays stadards. Bombs fall and go boom. Not go boom later.

:)
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2006, 06:48:36 PM »
Originally posted by KTM520guy

The delayed destruction seems silly to me. Think about it. That would be like you hitting me in the face with a baseball bat but my jaw doesn't break untill next week. This is WWII game here. The level of technology was  pretty low back then by todays stadards. Bombs fall and go boom. Not go boom later.

Better annology...

Guy hits the baseball over the fence (hey, you brought up the baseball bat :)) and the scorekeeper waits to put the runs up on the scoreboard until the umpire calls everyone safe. BTW, ever hear of delay fuses? :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2006, 06:56:06 PM »
BTW, one of the things we talked about was delaying destruction until the time period is up. This would mean that once something was down, it would stay down. I'm not positive how he plans to do it, but, that is the direction he is leaning.

I do not like this idea.  Now instead of penalizing a suicide porker, this will give defenders an advantage aginst a well orginized offense.  

First off when a field is flat and ready for the taking, and the cap force is on standby with ord...VH pops up, and is immediately taken down...The defenders should not be allowed to continue spawning like cockroaches until the timer expires.

Second, we need to know immediately that an object has been damaged enough to be destroyed.  Otherwise everyone and their brother will be needlessly wasting ordinance on an object that is already dead.

Third, it is not an easy thing to safely deliver troops to the town.  Now the goon has to loiter indefinatley when buildings pop up, because they have to wait on the timer to destroy them?

I already made a suggestion on this a couple of pages ago.  Destroy the object immediately, but give it a unique graphic while the timer is running (smoke, or smoke & fire on the standing object was the example given).  Blow it up like normal when the timer expires.  Everyone at a glance will know the status of the object, and there is no confusion.

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2006, 07:02:05 PM »
Timing is everything in this game as it is now....whether it is a move in air to air combat or landing troops before buildings pop up after 15 minutes.  But at least everyone knows the time constraints.

With HT's death timer, no one would know how much damage was done to a hanger or how long it will be before it pops up once it is down.

Air to air has always been the priority in AH and everything on the ground, except a Tiger tank, is just a VERY EASY target.  Just make the defenses and building hardness such that a single plane followed by a goon can't capture a V-base by killing 2 acks and a hanger.  Or so that a single flight of level Lancs at 10K can't take out 3 fighter hangers and a VH at an airbase.  The current radar system does not give a defender time to reach alt before the bombs hit.

Acks have no chance to defend a base....the range and accuracy of a .50 cal is much greater than that of a 37mm ack or Osti as the game stands now (unless you're Zazen), and buildings are too easy to strafe down.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2006, 07:24:22 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
I already made a suggestion on this a couple of pages ago.  Destroy the object immediately, but give it a unique graphic while the timer is running (smoke, or smoke & fire on the standing object was the example given).  Blow it up like normal when the timer expires.  Everyone at a glance will know the status of the object, and there is no confusion.
Just thinking that a CV is a special case since it already displays that way...Would be cool if it lists to one side while the timer is running :)

Offline Vart69

• Zinc Member
idea discussed at con
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2006, 07:31:45 PM »
I disagree with as Docc puts it "The Death Timer" scenerio, unless it is used to penalize bomb and bailers and them only!

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2006, 07:32:05 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Just thinking that a CV is a special case since it already displays that way...Would be cool if it lists to one side while the timer is running :)

Murdr...

He may well change his mind about how to do it. He did say that he wasn't going to implement graphic changes (that would leave out listing CVs).
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline martyb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2006, 08:10:21 PM »
First my apologies if I've accidently repeated anybody, this thread is pretty long.

It seems the general idea to is discourage the "pork and auger" people.  I agree it would add general mayhem to the game if the hangers were popping up and down.  Here's my angle.....

1)  Make the bombs from bombers (one's with bomb sites) only able to release when viewing the bomb site.

2)  Leave the destruction of buildings the way it currently is.  It is very realistic and historically accurate (except for the pop back up in 15 minutes, but hey it's still a very cool game).  Pilots would die in some instances after hitting their intended target.  That IS the cost of war.

3)  To discourage the "pork and auger" folks, re-work the perk system to apply a negative score if the pilot gets shot down/augers/crashes within 2 minutes even if flying a non perk plane.  Right now, you still get perk points even if you don't land your mission, and have successful hits/objects destroyed.  It could be as simple as adding a negative to the perk point gain for the 2 minutes for when you hit something, or even more costly (an extended formula).

:aok

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2006, 08:23:19 PM »
Only able to bomb from the f6 veiw is a super idea. Many others in this thread and other threads would also agree. I don't know if negative perks are good though. Some noobs would never get off of zero and quit the game. I would say that zero perks would work. Maybe even only award perks upon landing.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2006, 09:48:13 PM »
Just make it impossible to capture a base. Problem solved. Gameplay difference would probably be negligible.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2006, 10:04:18 PM »
Better annology...

Guy hits the baseball over the fence (hey, you brought up the baseball bat :)) and the scorekeeper waits to put the runs up on the scoreboard until the umpire calls everyone safe. BTW, ever hear of delay fuses? :D

Nah..I like the broken jaw better =)

Seriously though I think this is a trivial issue to deal with, and a waste of time that could be well spent on getting CT or something more important released
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2006, 10:12:56 PM »
I dont like it.. I think it could cause many more problems than it would solve..

First, It would encourage alot more running away from the fight after initial engagement.

Second, If there is high cap and a mission rolls in on a base, everyone high will just wail until everyone drops their bombs, swoop in for the kill and there will be no damage to the field.. Lame situation in my opinion.

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci