Author Topic: Russian Diplomats Murdered....oh my  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
Russian Diplomats Murdered....oh my
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 09:07:12 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
Although elite units of spetsnaz received training in both styles of combat, in Afgan they used, just as Delta, tactic of being dropped behind enemy lines, making ambush and retreating on a chopper.

If we are talking about little (up to 10 members) group with specific target then yes. But if special group incorporated in big army operation then no.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
Originally posted by Dos Equis
I agree. It's time for a new elite unit, made up of US and Russian special forces. You could call them... hmm... Rainbow!

We've already done that, don't you remember the documentary when the US / USSR teamed up to target that incoming asteroid?

Some of you have NO clue....

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 11:16:21 AM »
Originally posted by Stang
Boroda...

:rofl

Afghanistan wasn't occupied...

:lol

Thanks for the laugh, that one's gonna keep me entertained on a long drive today.

:aok

You mean that it was occupied, it's army defeated, it's legitimate democratically elected government killed or caged and occupational administration was working there?!

Technically an "invasion" in Afghanistan was absolutely, 100% legal and all the propaganda screaming, including the boycott of the Moscow Olympics and other silly things like cancelling a brilliant "Unknown War" documentary on American TV was absolutely inadequate.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2006, 04:37:58 AM »
Anybody heard anything more on this?  I keep hoping to see some story about Russian special forces depositing the heads of terrorists in a town square somewhere, or kidnapping the families of suspected terrorists and sending their fingers out in the mail.  Something shocking.  Something "old school".  Something that says "Russia is back, dont **** with us."

Only been a week, I know, but I expected to hear SOMETHING by now.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Im sure there are aspects to it that I do not undersand......I suppose it was a war that could have been won militarily, but was lost politically.

Hmmm....sounds familiar :cry

Its easier to understand if you classify it properly.  The USSR defeated the Afgan militarily but lost in its bid to occupy the country.  Just like the US defeated saddams army militarily but will lose in its bid to occupy iraq.  Wars are easy to win for the mighty US and former USSR, its the occupation that is so difficult.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »
Originally posted by WhiteHawk
Its easier to understand if you classify it properly.  The USSR defeated the Afgan militarily but lost in its bid to occupy the country.  Just like the US defeated saddams army militarily but will lose in its bid to occupy iraq.  Wars are easy to win for the mighty US and former USSR, its the occupation that is so difficult.

Not exactly true. USSR couldn't defeat Afghani miltary because both Soviet Army and local government forces fought together on one side.

There was no occupation technically, there was no Soviet administration installed, even temporarily.

Even with US, China and Iran supporting terrorists - most of the country was under control of government forces and/or Soviet Army.

The total number of forces involved in operations in Afganistan was sometimes two times smaller then current US presence in Iraq. Afghanistan is about two times bigger then Iraq, and has two times more population, plus you can compare the terrain. And noone was kidnapping foreign diplomats in Afghanistan in 80-89.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2006, 10:57:14 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Anybody heard anything more on this?  I keep hoping to see some story about Russian special forces depositing the heads of terrorists in a town square somewhere, or kidnapping the families of suspected terrorists and sending their fingers out in the mail.  Something shocking.  Something "old school".  Something that says "Russia is back, dont **** with us."

Only been a week, I know, but I expected to hear SOMETHING by now.

So far the only things done are:

1) Comrade Putin ordered the defence minister to "destroy" persons involved in kidnapping and murder.

2) Our beloved legislators from Federal Assembly (State Duma and Federation Counsil) granted our president the right to use military force outside Russian Federation to fight terrorists and protect Russian citizens without taking permission from parliament.

I don't think that any "special operations" will be successfull in a country controlled by occupational forces. So all this ritual dances are no more then shaking the air :(

But I think that terrorists made a big mistake killing one of the diplomats who was a Tatar and truely religious Moslim.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2006, 12:18:43 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Not exactly true. USSR couldn't defeat Afghani miltary because both Soviet Army and local government forces fought together on one side.

There was no occupation technically, there was no Soviet administration installed, even temporarily.

Even with US, China and Iran supporting terrorists - most of the country was under control of government forces and/or Soviet Army.

The total number of forces involved in operations in Afganistan was sometimes two times smaller then current US presence in Iraq. Afghanistan is about two times bigger then Iraq, and has two times more population, plus you can compare the terrain. And noone was kidnapping foreign diplomats in Afghanistan in 80-89.

Dude...

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »
Originally posted by Suave
Dude...

???

Do you mean that I said something not true?