Author Topic: Ann Coulter's shortest interview ever  (Read 7473 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Ann Coulter's shortest interview ever
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2006, 03:59:51 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
What have you contributed other than profusely spewing the epithets?

allot more than you...he doesn't pass off lies as truth and then run  away like some injured school girl when asked to verify the statements made!

Lukster you've been pwnd!:cool:

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2006, 04:03:18 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
allot more than you...he doesn't pass off lies as truth and then run  away like some injured school girl when asked to verify the statements made!

Lukster you've been pwnd!:cool:

I haven't run anywhere. You still insisting that Canada had no uniformed troops in Vietnam. If I can prove you wrong will that shut you up?

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »
What have you contributed other than profusely spewing the epithets?

Still humping my leg I see.

I have defended my point over and over to guys like you who seem to fail to get it every time.

Not everyone missed the point like you did.

People called me a Liberal. (Laughable)

I laugh and explain why they are wrong. They keep humping my leg.

I keep explaining they keep humping.

Your hips are not tired yet?

You’re getting back the attitude you gave and now you’re crying about it too?.

Dude give up. The thread is about opinions, I tried to make that clear last night and you just kept bringing up more stupid BS, like the free speech thing,  my god man what were you thinking there.

You can't win; you are incapable of changing my opinion of coulter.

Maybe you can go away now and stop playing BBS stalker and looking like fool.

I would like to change my pants before the stains set.
I will make it so simple even you can follow. One final time, after that I am just going to ignore you tell you come up with something so dumb I can’t resist making fun of you(probable) or something new and interesting to talk about (Highly unlikely).  

I do not like her.

I stated that as an opinion.

I gave reasons why.

I don't give two ****s what you think of her, you can fawn over her all you want. I will listen to counter arguments from guys like Laz who I respect.  You can defend her to the point you look pathetic and further, but its still about opinion.

You know that thing we all get to have on anything we want, and it does not have to conform to the views of some narrow minded guy who can't stop defending something that needs no defense.

Mmmm thanks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:12:19 PM by GtoRA2 »

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2006, 04:06:08 PM »
I haven't run anywhere. You still insisting that Canada had no uniformed troops in Vietnam. If I can prove you wrong will that shut you up?

you betcha!

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2006, 04:23:36 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
you betcha!

Will this do?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admpol/eng/defence/peace_pastsupops_e.htm

International Commission for Supervision and Control (ICSC) (1954-1974). The ICSC was established under the General Agreement of 1954, and was mandated to supervise the withdrawal of French forces and monitor cross-border infiltration in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. The Canadian Forces initially contributed 133 military observers to the mission. This number was reduced to 20 in 1973. (see also ICCS)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Still humping my leg I see.

You've done a fair amount of humping yourself calling those who disagree with you stupid, idiots, fools, etc.... You want to stop the nonsense then by all means, please do.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2006, 04:44:03 PM »
wikipedia

Canada had eagerly joined the United States in earlier Cold War conflicts such as the Korean War and was viewed as the closest ally of the United States. While Canada was committed to the western cause in the Cold War, the country was also committed to multilateralism and the United Nations, especially under Lester B. Pearson from 1963 to 1968. Canada thus found itself in a difficult position caught between its two foreign policy objectives. Canada never agreed with the Truman or Eisenhower Doctrines that communism itself must be opposed, rather its policy was that illegal acts of international aggression must be opposed.

During the first conflict between France and the Indo-China nationalist and communist parties Canada remained uninvolved but provided modest diplomatic and economic support to the French. Canada was however part of the multinational committee that oversaw the 1956 Paris peace accords that divided Vietnam and provided for French withdrawal. Behind the scenes Canadian diplomats tried to discourage both France and the United States from escalating the conflict in a part of the world Canadians had decided was not strategically vital.

Canada thus laid out six criteria that it would need to meet before it joined a war effort or an Asian alliance group like SEATO.
It had to be more than a military alliance, also involve cultural and trade ties.
It had to demonstrably meet the will of the people in the countries involved
Other free Asian states had to support it directly or in principle
France had to refer the conflict to United Nations
Any multilateral action must conform to the UN charter
Any action had to be divorced from all elements of colonialism

These criteria effectively guaranteed Canada would not participate in Vietnam.[/u]

At the start of the war Canada, to its relief, could not enter combat as it was appointed to the UN truce commissions and thus had to remain officially neutral in the conflict. The Canadian negotiators were strongly on the side of the Americans, however. Some delegates even engaged in espionage on behalf of the Americans, with the approval of the Canadian government. Canada also sent foreign aid to South Vietnam, that while humanitarian, was directed by the Americans.

Canada played both sides of the fence: On one hand, it actively supported the war by exporting materiel, spying for the Americans while on the ICC, and trying to play a mediator role to help reach a conclusion that could allow the U.S. to honourably leave the conflict. On the other hand, there was occasional (and mild) public criticism of American war method, which pleased a Canadian public that was becoming increasingly suspicious of Canadian complicity in the war.

As the war escalated, relations between the two nations deteriorated. The lowest point was in April 2, 1965 when Pearson gave a speech at Temple University in the United States which, in the context of firm support for U.S. policy, called for a pause in the bombing of North Vietnam. Meeting with Pearson the next day, a furious President Lyndon B. Johnson grabbed the much smaller Canadian by his lapels and talked angrily with him for an hour. After this incident, the two men somehow found ways to resolve their differences over the war--in fact, subsequently, they twice met together in Canada.

Draft dodgers

A large number of draft dodgers, young American men facing conscription for the Vietnam War, decided to relocate to Canada rather than serve in the armed forces. Concentrated in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, this group was at first assisted by the Student Union for Peace Action, a campus-based Canadian anti-war group with connections to Students for a Democratic Society in the United States. Canadian immigration policy at the time made it easy for immigrants from all countries to obtain legal status in Canada. By late 1967, dodgers were being assisted primarily by over 20 independent and locally based anti-draft groups, such as the Toronto Anti-Draft Programme. As a counselor for the Programme Mark Satin wrote the Manual for Draft-Age Immigrants to Canada in 1968. It sold over 100,000 copies in eight editions.[1]

Following the dodgers, deserters from the American forces also made their way to Canada. There was pressure from the United States and Canada to have them arrested, or at least stopped at the border. In May 1969 the Canadian government ceased its active discrimination against deserters after facing extensive criticism.

The population of draft dodgers had an impact on Canadian society. The influx of young, educated, and left-leaning individuals affected Canada's academic and cultural institutions. These new arrivals tended to balance the "brain drain" that Canada had experienced. While some draft dodgers returned to the United States after they were pardoned by Jimmy Carter in 1977, half stayed in Canada. Deserters were never pardoned and may still face pro forma arrest and release, as the case of Allen Abney demonstrated in March 2006[2]. Estimates of how many Americans settled in Canada to avoid service vary greatly. Canadian immigration statistics show that 20,000 to 30,000 draft eligible males came to Canada as immigrants in the Vietnam era; estimates of the total number of American citizens who moved to Canada due to their opposition to the war range from 50,000 to 125,000 [3]. This group may have helped to shift Canadian politics farther to the left of those in the United States.

Prominent draft dodgers who stayed in Canada permanently, or for a significant amount of time include:
Corky Evans - MLA for Nelson-Creston
Jack Todd - award-winning sports columnist for the Montreal Gazette
Eric Nagler - Children's entertainer on The Elephant Show.
The founding members of Heart - a popular rock/pop band

Anti-war activism

Anti-War activities were nearly as widespread in Canada as they were in the United States with demonstrations on most Canadian campuses. In English Canada the movement was fuelled by the draft dodgers. Quebec also had a strong and - ironically - violent anti-war movement as well. The separatist FLQ was also stridently anti-American and against the war.

One of the most visible expressions of this was at Expo '67. President Johnson was visiting for the opening of the American pavilion, which would involve a large American flag being unfurled. The FLQ secretly informed the government that anyone who tried to raise the flag would be shot. The original government plan was to use a Boy Scout to raise it, under the assumption the FLQ would not assassinate a child, but this idea was rejected and an extremely nervous Scout leader wearing a bulletproof vest did so. While he was not shot, it was discovered upon the unfurling of the flag that the canton with the stars had been cut out by a protester.
[edit]

Canadians in the U.S. military

Concurrent with the draft dodging and defections to Canada, several thousand Canadians joined the U.S. military and fought with the Americans in Vietnam; estimates range from 3,500 to 10,000. Several thousand more Canadians joined and served with the U.S. military but did not fight in Vietnam. One hundred and ten (110) Canadians died in Vietnam and seven remain listed as Missing in Action. Many of these were Canadians who had long lived in the United States, Canadians with US citizenship who were drafted or had previously served in the U.S., and out-of-work soldiers who had been the victims of recent government cutbacks. Still others volunteered because of ideological or moral support of the American war effort.[4] This cross border enlistment was not unusual: in both World War I and World War II tens of thousands of Americans had joined the Canadian forces while their homeland was still neutral. Canadian Peter C. Lemon won the U.S. Medal of Honor for his valour in the conflict.

In Windsor, Ontario, there is a small, privately funded monument to the Canadians killed in the Vietnam War. However, many Canadian veterans returned to a society that was strongly anti-war. Unlike in the United States, there were no veterans organizations or help from the government. Many of them moved permanently to the United States. There has been ongoing controversy among Canadian Vietnam veterans who want their comrades' deaths to be formally acknowledged by the government, especially in times of remembrance such as Remembrance Day.
[edit]

Military assistance

Canada's official diplomatic position was as a non-participant, but the country was not neutral in the conflict: it professed explicit support for the United States. Canada was also a major supplier of equipment and supplies to the American forces. Under UN rules Canada could not send these directly to South Vietnam, but they could sell them to the United States. Throughout the Vietnam War Canadian manufacturers profited greatly from the conflict. These included relatively benign items like boots and whiskey, but also napalm and Agent Orange the use of which was fiercely opposed by antiwar protesters at the time. Between 1965 and 1973 Canada sold some $2.5 billion worth of matériel to the American forces. Canada also allowed their NATO ally to use Canadian facilities and bases for training exercises and weapons testing.

In 1973, Canada also provided peacekeeping troops to Operation Gallant, the military operation associated with the International Commission of Control and Supervision (ICCS) Vietnam, along with Hungary, Indonesia, and Poland. Their role was to monitor the cease-fire in South Vietnam as per the Paris Peace Accords.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2006, 04:45:12 PM »
Con'd...

Post-war

After the fall of South Vietnam in 1975 thousands of refugees, known as boat people, fled Vietnam for both political and economic reasons. Canada agreed to accept many of them in one of the largest single influxes of immigrants in Canadian history. This created a vibrant Vietnamese community based especially in Vancouver and Toronto.

As in the United States, the Vietnam War was an important cultural turning point in Canada, perhaps even more so than in the United States. Coupled with Canada's centenary in 1967 and the success of Expo '67, Canada became far more independent and nationalistic. The public, if not their representatives in parliament, became more willing to oppose the United States and move in a different direction socially and politically.

Lukster read the above article from the encyclopedia. I had forgotton just how much the Canadian gov opposed the Vietnam war...we gave asylum to US draft dodgers. Does this sound like the same government that would send its uniformed soldiers to fight there?

Hope this sheds some light for you bro!:aok

cheers!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2006, 04:46:02 PM »
You've done a fair amount of humping yourself calling those who disagree with you stupid, idiots, fools, etc.... You want to stop the nonsense then by all means, please do.

No not everyone, just the ones who have proven it.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2006, 04:48:43 PM »
Lotta words there xtoronto. Guess it didn't shut you up afterall. I knew better but had the time to waste anyhow.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
No not everyone, just the ones who have proven it.

You just can't stop can you?

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »
Lotta words there xtoronto.

those words are verbatim from the encyclopedia, which makes them an authoritative source.

take the time to read them?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »
What the heck xtoronto. I'll take one more shot. Ann Coulter didn't say "uniformed" Candians fought beside Americans in Vietnam, she said Canadians. She was right, there were thousands. To discredit her, some made the distinction between individual Canadians and Canadian soldiers.

On the other hand. I didn't say that uniformed Canadian soldiers "fought" in Vietnam (though I think you're very naive to believe they didn't), just that they were there, which I have proven.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »
dude, this is the conversation:

Coulter: "Canada used to be one of our most loyal friends and vice-versa. I mean Canada sent troops to Vietnam - was Vietnam less containable and more of a threat than Saddam Hussein?"

McKeown interrupts: "Canada didn't send troops to Vietnam."

Coulter: "I don't think that's right."

McKeown: "Canada did not send troops to Vietnam."

Coulter (looking desperate): "Indochina?"

McKeown: "Uh no. Canada ...second World War of course. Korea. Yes. Vietnam No."

Coulter: "I think you're wrong."

McKeown: "No, took a pass on Vietnam."

Coulter: "I think you're wrong."

McKeown: "No, Australia was there, not Canada."

Coulter: "I think Canada sent troops."

McKeown: "No."

Coulter: "Well. I'll get back to you on that."

McKeown tags out in script:

"Coulter never got back to us -- but for the record, like Iraq, Canada sent no troops to Vietnam."

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2006, 05:20:10 PM »
And I just proved that Canada did in fact send troops to Vietnam.

We're going around in circles here. There's nothing left to be said in this regard. Call me a little girl if it makes you feel more manly.