Author Topic: Bombing Questions  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Bombing Questions
« on: July 16, 2006, 02:41:07 PM »
I know that a minimum of 2 seconds is required to hold down the Y key.
What I'd like to know is, what are the benefits of holding down the Y key for longer periods of time.  
Will my bombsite be more accurate if I hold it down longer?  
Will my drones drop closer to my lead plane if I hold it down longer?  
How long can I hold down the Y key?  
Do higher altitude drops cause the drones to drop further away from the lead bomber?  
Does speed make a significant difference in bomb spacing when dropping mulitple bombs?
When I drop FH's, the first FH will be hit directly, all 3 bombs will hit it, but on the 2nd FH, my bombs are always scattered severly.  I'm not moving my crosshair and my bombers are at a reduced manifold setting.  My joystick is working correctly.  Can anyone help me answer these questions?
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Bombing Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 03:23:26 PM »
The longer you press the Y key, the more accurate is calibration. You can check this by bringing up your clipboard and klicking on E6B. The closer the True Airspeed on that dispay is to the calibrated speed in bombsight, the better it is. Both values should not differ more than 2-3 mph for optimum results. I usually hold Y down for about 10 seconds, but you might best check it for yourself using the above method.

The relative position of your drones has nothing to do with altitude or bombsight calibration process.
Speed has an influence when dropping bombs in salvos, for each bomb drops after the time you set via ".delay xx" command. So if you fly 400mph the distance the bombs of a given salvo covers on ground is of course double as long as if you were flying at 200mph.

In real life, higher altitude drops causes a lot more dispersion in bombing pattern . But I still havenīt noticed such effect in AH2 yet. I usually drop my payloadfrom about 20-25k and get no worse accuracy as when bombing from 10k.

Im not sure about your last question. Do this effect appears after a turnaround and a second attack run, or is it happening when you attack both FH in a single run?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Bombing Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
single run

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Bombing Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:50:36 PM »
RE: second drop being off(?). Sometime if you setup doesn't handle sounds well, you can get a bit of shudder and delay on your next release. Have that problem due to onboard sound myself. But from what I recall, you have a top end system(correct?).
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Bombing Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:50:34 PM »
Regarding one of my questions.

If there are 2 FH's in row and I drop on the first one, I'll have to wait 2 or 3 seconds before my crosshairs are over the 2nd hanger.  So, after I've dropped twice without ever needing any adjustments, my bombs will be highly scattered on the 2nd fighter hanger and will be very concentrated on the first hanger.

This is just 1 of many things I'd like to have help in getting cleared up on with bombing.

I'm now begging skuzzy or anyone at HTC to help me answer these questions.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Bombing Questions
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:28:17 AM »
Hm, just run some offline tests and I have to say that I canīt duplicate your problem. The only time is seem to get scatter on second drop is when I make adjustments to my flightpath...

But what are the other "many things" you want to have cleared up?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bombing Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:58:53 AM »
Go into external view and watch a full salvo of bombs drop.
They do not all fall the same. The reason I don't know but they all do not follow the same predictable path when the are released
I watch it every now and then one really gets some turbulence and sort of flings off to the side. I say turbulence but I am not sure thats really it or a randomizer to include some uncertainty in the bomb drop.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
Bombing Questions
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:44:40 AM »
Um the only thing that is hurting me is that when I go to set up my bombing sight I will be at 10 grand, and set my sight when i push the U key to set it it gose strait back down or if it stays at an angle the drop is way off. I have noticed that in my calculations window I can never get a drop Alt. or Calculation speed I dont under stand this is there a KEY that I might have hit to mess this up or ??? I love to run bombers but now its a pain trying to guesstamate the drop and land a good one can some one help me with this???:aok :O :O :O
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Bombing Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »
red, after pressing "U" once to enter calibration mode - the bombing cross can now be *moved* around with the Joystick, without steering the bomber! - youll need to hold down Y key to calibrate. Before dropping you now have to press "U" *again* to exit the calibration mode (all text in the left corner should be GREEN now). When not in calibration mode, the cross is fixed and moving stick will steer the bomber. Wait till target is in sight, then drop.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bombing Questions
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 11:09:08 AM »
The text in the upper left of the bombsight view, F6, will describe what you need to do.
1) Make MAKE MAKE MAKE sure you are at a constant speed. In my experience 2 or 3 mph error adds up at altitude and can throw your calibration out the window. Constant speed means steady AT XXX mph. At full throttle it's harder to get to that constant speed so lowering the throttle a little, the manifold pressure about 5, can give you some added correction.
2) ONLY when 1) is done go into calib mode U and hit Y key to actually calibrate.
HOLD Y down for as long as you can. 2 seconds is absolute minimum. I try for 10 minimum with 10 to 15 my usual time.
3) Note your 'calibrated speed' in bombsite view, compare this to your TAS on the Clipboard/E6B and if equal, you calibrated accurately. If not try to adjust with throttle if a mph or three off. If 5+ mph off, recalibrate , but correctly this time.

BOMB BAY DOORS add drag so you can deal with this in two ways.
A) Open them early before you start stabilizing your speed and be careful on your bomb release key.
B) Open the bay doors immediately before you release your bombs so the drag added is miniscule, very small. Remember though, even if your bombing two hangers with some distance between them you will deccelerate some and your second drop wont be as accurate as the first.

Another thing, the bombs themselves. With a formation you will drop a triangle pattern of bombs. This triangle is not always consistant and has a margin of error. If you drop when the black + is ON target in your view, the two drones will drop and hit slightly behind that +. You should try to drop when the target is in the center of your 'bomb impact' triangle.
Another thing is bomb size. IMO it's better to drop a salvo of 2 3x500lbs on a hanger instead of a salvo of 1 3x1000lb bombs. You don't carpet bomb the target but you cover it better that way and give yourself a larger margin of error.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Bombing Questions
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »
Originally posted by red26
Um the only thing that is hurting me is that when I go to set up my bombing sight I will be at 10 grand, and set my sight when i push the U key to set it it gose strait back down or if it stays at an angle the drop is way off. I have noticed that in my calculations window I can never get a drop Alt. or Calculation speed I dont under stand this is there a KEY that I might have hit to mess this up or ??? I love to run bombers but now its a pain trying to guesstamate the drop and land a good one can some one help me with this???:aok :O :O :O

when speed & alt is stable just do like the instructions on screen tell you:

press U to enter calibration mode
press Y for at least 2 (better: 10-15) seconds
press U again to leave calibration mode

EDIT

Ok, fuzeman was faster and mor detailed ;)

but i might lead your attention to the very detailed Level Bombing  Guide at http://www.netaces.org
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:17:34 AM by Lusche »

Offline red26

• Silver Member
Bombing Questions
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 12:43:02 PM »
Ok I when calibrating my sight I pull about 10 to 15 % off my speed bomb bay doors are open to compinsate drag I press Y to enter when AC is in level flight and around 3 Mph off is were it is wile i cali. I hold the Y key down for around 10 to 15 sec, ok then i hit the U key to set my sight sight will lock in place. OK in the screen were it tells you the drop alt. and drop speed its RED im aound 10 grand, ok when I drop it will to erly or to late but I will be like around 200 ft off target. I tryed to do the dive bombing B-26 thing but the wings came off quite quickly LOL when I pulled out of the dive. What do I do?? Form here???:aok :O :O
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bombing Questions
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 01:01:11 PM »
After you calibrate and exit calibration mode, if everything is done properly the text should be green. Green does not mean accurately though.
It can take a full sector for your speed to stabilize and be steady enough to calibrate accurately.

Offline red26

• Silver Member
Bombing Questions
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 01:08:39 PM »
rgr but is there a key that would mess up the drop alt, and drop speed?
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Bombing Questions
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 01:17:02 PM »
Do not move your Joystick when in calibration mode. This will throw calibration off.

Also, make sure you dont enter and exit calibration mode without calibrating.
21 is only half the truth.