Author Topic: "new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair  (Read 3422 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 07:51:50 PM »
I think everyone has there own rules in regard to max MAP.

Just go to any WW2 airshow and you can see the differance in pilots in similar aircraft. I have seen multple P-51D's at the same show and one was being flown like a baby stroller and the other one (Nervous Energy) was just flown like a beast. There must have been 100 MPH differance between the two aircraft.

Dale Snodgrass flys his F4U-5 like he is on a combat mission and some guys act like they are flying Cessna's.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »
Probably depends on who has no financial trouble with keeping a spare engine ready. ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 11:19:08 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Probably depends on who has no financial trouble with keeping a spare engine ready. ;)

How long will a R2800 last if you push it to what it did during wartime?

Then what? A 50K rebuild?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2006, 12:30:54 AM »
I think the fact that a lot of those engines are still operating after 60 years is a pretty strong testament to just how rugged they are.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2006, 01:03:02 AM »
yes to run after 60 years tell u wat its made out of.

Why the hell cant my sbc do the same?

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2006, 01:34:31 AM »
i wonder how many original parts are in a modern R-2800?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2006, 01:36:54 AM »
What IS a "modern" R2800?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2006, 02:01:43 AM »
an F4u flying around today, how many original parts are in the engine?
can you just swap in a new cylinder or other part when you need to like in an 0-360?
is an R-2800 flying around today a collectional of replacement parts, all original or something in between?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2006, 02:43:23 AM »
AFAIK, as the engine itself is no longer in production any replacement parts would have to be scavenged (so while not original to the engine, certainly at least 50-60 years old) or custom-fabricated.

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 12:27:38 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
AFAIK, as the engine itself is no longer in production any replacement parts would have to be scavenged (so while not original to the engine, certainly at least 50-60 years old) or custom-fabricated.

To add to this. Certain parts of an aircraft engine typically wont break, unless you're a sadist in the cockpit and/or your P-mechanic doesnt have a clue. Cylinder heads,  crank case, and most of the other milled or cast parts not directly exposed to combustion tend to last a while.

Cranks and piston rods (master and articulated rods in radials) tend to go a bit more easily, but also seem to be a much more easily fabricated part. Pistons are the same. Cylinders on air-cooled aviation engines are also easy to fabricate (compared to a similar feat on, say, a water-cooled automotive engine), with the only complicated part being the construction of the sleeve and fins that are basicly heat-shrunk around the steel cylinder. A water-cooling aviation engine (IE a Merlin) would have a bit more trouble, due to a more complicated cylinder design once you get outside the steel cylinder wall. But I cant say for certain, as I've never torn one apart before.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 12:09:25 PM »
can somebody get the speed numbers for the corsair(not the ah ones) every time i see corsair on tv it claims speeds of 405 plus, i never seen one slower, and how about some accel speeds, f4u feels neutered compared to what i see and read. alot of sites i read see that f4u was better then the p51d, i mean the f4u was still being built well after ww2.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2006, 01:06:11 PM »
Hey DOA, I checked out Pacific Fighters (I needed a PTO offline sim to play) and I have to agree with you about the FM.

SOME stuff I liked: like the much more complex engine management, being able to open the canopy, and DEFINATELY the graphics, but Jeebus! Actually CONTROLLING the plane alone is unbelievable, to say NOTHING about combat (no such thing as minor twitches to correct aim. The plane either reacts a lot, or reacts a TON to even small control inputs. I can't see where I'm shooting because their tracers may as well be invisible. For that matter, it's almost impossible to make out aircraft  at long distances (AH handles that rendering FAR better).

Now THIS is my idea of a perfect sim: Combine our general flight model (fixing the known issues) with the Pac Fighters visuals and increased complexity

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2006, 01:22:29 PM »
Saxman,

I wish I could have saved you some money. Here are my top complaints about IL Pac.

1. I cannot reach the max speed of the F4U-1D or -1A by at least 10MPH. I have closed intercoolers, cowl flaps and trimmed for hands off. In fact I cannot catch the P-39 and other slower aircraft in offline play. Very strange.

2. Also the gun shake moves the (12,000LBS) F4U like a rag doll even at speed.

3. The stall speeds are unbelievable. Between 15MPH to 25MPH high depending on flap configuration.

4. The rear view is non existant. Worse than WB, there is simply no evidense to support this anywhere I have seen. Even the P-51 is poor to the rear. It does have a rear view mirror but it does not even come close to being sufficient or realistic.

5. The R-2800 overheats in about 1or 2 minutes of mil power and less of ADI despite the fact that the F4U-1D had a mil power rating of 30 minutes.

It seems to me that this game is extremely slanted toward VVS and Luftwaffe AC. The PAC theater was a throw in to add more pretty targets.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:41:50 PM by F4UDOA »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »
PF's sounds are pretty poor, too. Engines are weak, flap/gear sounds are pretty generic, and their Browning .50 doesn't even SOUND like a Ma Deuce.

I also noticed the F4U just can't outrun a Zeke in a dive, and Zeros don't show any sign of control stiffness or wing rip in high-speed dives. Zekes will out-zoom her, too, which that just can't be right.

A LOT of this is all stuff that could be easily fixed with a patch. They've released a bunch already, so I don't see why they can't issue a fix to address these problems.

The other thing is, since EVERYONE puts their focus on the European Theater there's hardly anything even OUT there for the Pacific. The only PTO sims I've seen the last couple years was Microshaft's CFS2, PF, and that arcade shooter piece of crap Heroes of the Pacific.

Someone needs to resurrect Dynamix FAST so they can make Aces of the Pacific II.

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2006, 01:11:08 AM »
the stock sounds suck here too, waffles sound pack is way better.