Author Topic: "new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2006, 01:25:40 AM »
At least here we can change them. PacFighters I'm stuck with an F4U that sounds like Toad's engine on Super Mario Kart
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2006, 06:10:47 AM »
we shouldnt have to waffle sounds should be the stock sounds for the game, our at least be offered right on the site.

im lookin, i know corsair didnt accel that slow, but then again theres no wind in m/a. i have flown f4u1d in a rooms wit lite wind and the thing flys like its supposed to, 400+ mph and didnt take all do to get to it niether. how do it fly in pacific fighters?

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2006, 07:50:13 AM »
BkBandit,

Check my top 5 list of horrible things wrong with the F4U in PAC Fighters.

1. I cannot reach the max speed of the F4U-1D or -1A by at least 10MPH. I have closed intercoolers, cowl flaps and trimmed for hands off. In fact I cannot catch the P-39 and other slower aircraft in offline play. Very strange.

2. Also the gun shake moves the (12,000LBS) F4U like a rag doll even at speed.

3. The stall speeds are unbelievable. Between 15MPH to 25MPH high depending on flap configuration.

4. The rear view is non existant. Worse than WB, there is simply no evidense to support this anywhere I have seen. Even the P-51 is poor to the rear. It does have a rear view mirror but it does not even come close to being sufficient or realistic.

5. The R-2800 overheats in about 1or 2 minutes of mil power and less of ADI despite the fact that the F4U-1D had a mil power rating of 30 minutes.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2006, 10:24:39 AM »
Add on that she can neither dive away from or zoom climb out on a Zeke. Turning up the filtering helped with the "All or nothing" control input, though.

Like I said: It COULD still be a great game if only they'd FIX things.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
The funny thing I actually know a guy who is a moderator on the Il-2 boards and says he is a friend of Oleg's. I told him his "game" is a POS.

He swears NASA designed the software so it must be right:rofl

I think not.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 03:41:09 AM »
Well, maybe for the general overall flight dynamics, but certainly not the F4U specifically.

Oh BTW DOA, think you'll like this:

And in case HTC needs any more reason to add the 1A, just IMAGINE all the VF-17, (I've seen decals for at LEAST as many as TEN different Jolly Rogers 1As) VMF-214 and so on and so on skins that could be done!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:44:48 AM by Saxman »

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 03:51:20 AM »
is there any black and white accel data out there? the hell cat(which is niether small or lite) will out accel f4u, does that make any sense or is this is how its supposed to be.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »
BkBandit,

I don't think there is anyway the F6F would accelerate faster than the F4U for a variety of reasons. In fact I have never seen anything to show that the F6F could outclimb the F4U other than the charts in AH.

It was heavier, had more drag and in side by side test it did not. Only in the Grumman test reports does this occur. Based on that I don't see how this could be possible.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 02:09:16 AM »
I think i remember reading in The Jolly Rogers that they tried out a Hellcat's prop on their F4Us & the performance boost was significant...

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 04:25:21 PM »
Debonair,

Really? Where did you read that? I know that the F4U-1 did switch to the F6F's prop blade but I never heard of the Jolly Rogers doing any testing. The actual change took place in early 1944.

Even prior to that the F4U was out climbing the F6F though. You can check that in two places. The first being the F6F/F4U vrs the FW190A-5. The F4U was superior to the F6F at all speeds tested in climb despite having the older style 13'4" toothpick prop. Also in Butch O'Hare's memiors he references a squadron climb contest between the F4U and F6F. He mentions taking the bet in his F6F squadron despite the fact that it was "known" that the F4U was superior in that regard.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 06:28:18 PM »
now that i think about it harder, it could have been in another book.
i'm not with my library right now, but i'll find the book that it has to be if it aint The Jolly Rogers.  

...now i m teh concentrating on my memory of all of my books:huh :huh :mad: :mad: :O :D :cool: ....

Think maybe it is in Hell in the Heavens

all i remember is something about F4Us swaping in smaller props from F6Fs & having a performance boost

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 10:11:50 AM »
Originally posted by F4UDOA
BkBandit,

I don't think there is anyway the F6F would accelerate faster than the F4U for a variety of reasons. In fact I have never seen anything to show that the F6F could outclimb the F4U other than the charts in AH.

It was heavier, had more drag and in side by side test it did not. Only in the Grumman test reports does this occur. Based on that I don't see how this could be possible.

Within the game, F4U-1s and the Hellcat accelerate at very much the same rate. Typically, time required to accelerate from 150 mph to 250 mph at sea level, is as follows, in seconds:

All at 25% fuel...

F6F-5: 25.14
F4U-1: 28.69
F4U-1C: 25.59
F4U-1D: 24.56
F4U-4: 20.69

The F4U-4 is the hotrod of the bunch, but it carries less fuel at 25% than the others.

In terms of climb, the F4U-4 wins easily. I find that the F6F-5 has a slight advantage over the F4U-1D (about 300 fpm), which increases to about 500 fpm over the F4U-1. Entering a climb from sea level at 250 mph, the F6F-5 gets to 5,000 feet in 1:43.47 minutes. The F4U-1D requires 1:53.31 minutes.

Several other categories have been measured, beyond the common tests that show the F4Us are all faster in max speed at all altitudes. Most of us who have researched these aircraft recognize that the F6F is at least 20 mph slower than real word test data (TAIC and Grumman) indicates. That, however, is still is not enough to exceed the F4Us.

Dive testing reveals that both the F6F and the F4U types can all exceed 600 mph in a long dive. However, the F6F, for some unknown reason, doesn't lock up as early as the F4Us. Indeed, at extreme speeds, the F6F maneuvers very well at 600 mph. Meanwhile, 190s, P-51s and Spitfires are completely out of control. The F4Us are also superior to those above at very high speeds, but still lock-up before the Hellcat. Dive tests were performed with combat trim on.

Minimum turn radius has been tested extensively since the last update. All of the F4Us turn very small circles, with the F4U-1, F4U-1D and F4U-4 being so close together as to be called even (between 424 and 430 feet). Due to the added weight of four Hispanos and a big ammo load, the F4U-1C lags behind those at around 445 feet. Right there with the F4Us is the F6F-5 at 430 feet. Again, virtually no difference in turn radius.

Turn rate is just as important as turn radius, and in a sustained turn, it is often more important. In terms of turn rate, the F4Us typically manage from the 19.4 degrees per second for the least powerful F4U-1, up to 19.8 degrees per second for the high output F4U-4. The Dhog comes in between those two. Once again, the heavier Chog trails behind at around 18.8 degrees per second. It's in a sustained turn where the F6F-5 shows some measurable superiority. Its turn rate at minumum radius is close to 21 degrees per second. In a left-hand lufberry, the F6F will chase the F4U around the circle gaining on every turn. Eventually, it will catch the F4Us from behind. The Hellcat gets around a circle nearly 1.5 seconds faster than the F4U-1D when both are turning left with full flaps deployed. While this advantage is measurable, it is not big by any stretch.

The ability of the pilot to obtain maximum turn rate will absolutely make a greater difference than that displayed in the above example. Any two pilots can get differing results. However, that difference will invariably be towards the negative as the best each aircraft can do has been well defined by testing performed by several very able pilots; who with few exceptions, have generated data that correlates closely. We use the same methodology. The only known differences are in hardware, such as flight controllers. Typically, guys testing with CH Products hardware get slightly better results. This is certainly due to added precision of the CH hardware, resulting in more precise control of aircraft. Precision is everything when exploring the absolute limits of any aircraft modeled in the game.

Prior to the revised drag model, the F6F was too unstable to compete with the F4Us in turning tiny circles. Now it matches their turn radius and gets around those circles faster.

Zoom climbs: Few fighters zoom climb as well as the F4Us and F6F. In a straight climb, the F4U-1D and F6F-5 cannot match a P-38J. In a pure zoom climb, the F4U-1D does match the P-38J. Some bad news for PJ jocks... Our F6F-5 exceeds the P-38J in a pure zoom. In a side-by-side test between a P-38J and the F6F-5, the Hellcat consistently climbed 300 to 400 feet higher in a near vertical zoom. Both aircraft began the zoom at 300 mph.

Any offline tests were verified by flying the aircraft mentioned against each other in the TA. No noobs were flying these aircraft. All were veterans with some surely considered top-rank and who specialize in their type of fighter.

In conclusion, there's no doubt in my mind that the F4U-4 is the best prop fighter in the game. The Chog is not as capable a dogfighter as the other Hogs, but this is more than made up for in firepower. Our F4U-1 is agile and fast, but it is not as quite as good in the vertical as the Dhog and falls behind in acceleration. Of all the -1 versions of the Corsair, the F4U-1D is the most balanced in terms of handling and performance. In comparision, the F6F-5 is very much the equal of the F4U-1D. It (the Hellcat) has a slower unassisted rate of roll (using rudder greatly speeds up roll rate). It gives up a little bit in acceleration. It cannot chase down a Co-E hog. On the other hand, it can match the F4Us in turn radius, and has a faster turn rate. Stability just above a stall is superior to the F4Us, with a more effective rudder and ailerons at very low speeds. It climbs better than any -1 version of the Hog. When comparing the F4U-1D to the F6F-5, they are so close as to make pilot skill the biggest factor in determining the outcome.

I fly both and do not favor one over the other as a matter of taste. If limited to just these two types, I'd make my selection based upon what I expect to be doing. If I expect to encounter a crowd of enemy between bases, I'd take the F4U for its better speed. Fighting defensively, protecting a base, I would select the F6F for its edge in agility and ability to get to altitude faster. But, if I really want to have an advantage over the enemy, the F4U-4 is virtually without peer.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2006, 12:10:12 PM »
i just figured(and have seen on televison) that the f4u1d would hit 400mph+ and wouldnt take 20 minuties to got pass 360.i have played in rooms wit slight wind and have got 400+ at alt, is thats whats missing.

its hard for me to pick between hellcat and corsair. it depends on the mood of the day for me, but when i get into a slump hellcat is the one that gets me out of it.

Offline joeblogs

• Nickel Member
engine maintenance in ww2
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 11:54:07 AM »
The P&Ws Wasps & the Wright Cyclones had a time between overhaul approaching 1,000 hours by the end of WW2. This was a signficant multiple over nearly any other engine at that time. There were Russian engines that were not expected to make 100 hours before overhaul.

That said, if you ran one of these at military power for an extended period (30 minutes let's say), the mechanics were going to have to take a very good look at it on the ground. That is especially true if you exceeded the maximum cylinder head temperature as the aluminum heads would lose their strength and valves might lose their seal.

Nice thread F4u

-Blogs

Originally posted by zorstorer
How long will a R2800 last if you push it to what it did during wartime?

Then what? A 50K rebuild?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
"new" 1944 F4u-1d Navair
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2006, 04:07:41 PM »
Originally posted by F4UDOA
Thanks guys,

That being said the F4U-1D is a very fair representation of the -1D as I cannot porvide any proof that it ever flew combat missions without pylons.

I have been wondering about this myself.  I have seen restored versions of the -1D both with and without pylons, and wondered if they actually flew missions without them (as pure fighters).  Something I'd like to know, just for curiousity's sake.