Author Topic: Frame rate  (Read 969 times)

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Frame rate
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:04:10 AM »
Just went to store yesterday and forked out $354 for a Nividea 7800 GS. I had a Radeon 9600 and best framerate I could get was 60 and when in a tank it would often drop down below 20 sometimes below ten. Well I thought This new Nividea would do the trick but alas Same thing. Is there something I need to tweak to get a better frame rate?

I know there are people who say they are getting over 100. Is there anything in the game Graphics option that I can select/deselect that would make it better?    :cry
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Frame rate
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:31:32 AM »
they might be getting 100 in flight but they certainly not getting that in GV's.  I honestly believe something is wrong with the GV or actually the trees.  They just take to much framerate hit when zoomed in with turret gun.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Frame rate
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:30:21 AM »
AH is easily more CPU intesnsive than GPU intensive. If you don't have about 1 GB of RAM, that might be doing it. RAM is a relatively cheap and simple upgrade. If it's the CPU..well... :rolleyes:
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline toon

• Nickel Member
Frame rate
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:19:16 AM »
also as stated in previous posts...movie quailty frame rates are 35. the human eye cant detect over 30. 2 gigs of ram will definitely do the trick for you

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Frame rate
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:24:03 AM »
its been proving that the human eye can see up to 60fps.  The avg is about 45.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Frame rate
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »
Originally posted by COBA94
also as stated in previous posts...movie quailty frame rates are 35. the human eye cant detect over 30. 2 gigs of ram will definitely do the trick for you

Yes and no.

In non-interactive situations, the human eye stops being able to tell the difference at about 40 or so frames per second. However in computers, and ESPECIALLY in games, when looking directly at the screen the eye can notice a lot more. Things like the subtle difference between 60Hz refresh rates and 72Hz refresh rates on a screen. And then there's games. In a game the frames per second is not just what you see. It's an indication of the actual game performance. Low fps means your game is playing really slow. Even if in other situations, the human eye "can't see" the difference, on a computer you notice it. There is a VERY big difference playing Counter-Strike Source on 30 FPS and playing it on 85fps. there is a VERY big difference playing AH on 30fps and 120fps.

68ripper: what are your system specs? Please include power supply. The card might not be getting enough juice, and might be underclocking itself. You need to use one of the 4-plug power hookups on it, but you can't have anything else plugged into the same "strand" -- all the way back to the PSU itself, you have to leave the others un-used. Basically it needs a dedicated line of voltage.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Frame rate
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:49:14 AM »
Need system specs , some lcd screens will not have a refresh rate over 60hrz, this will cap your FR at 60 with vsync enabled .  Let us know what cpu, ram, motherboard , and power supply you have , and what kind of monitor your using . GL 38

Offline Zeagle2

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.blackcrosses.org
Frame rate
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »
running AMD 64 FX2 3800 (with amd patch), 7800gtx (256mb), 2 GB matched dual ch Corsair ram, MSI neo4 platinum k8n SLI (only one video card tho)

refresh rate is equal to monitor refresh at 1024x768

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Frame rate
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Golden Rule:  If the data does not get to the graphics card, then it does not matter how fast the graphics card is.

The CPU is responsible for getting the data to the grahics card.  Someone in this thread said something very wrong.  About going to the "Process" list and seeing a ton of stuff, but its ok as they are not gathering any time running.

SCCCRREEEEEECHHHHHHH!!!!!!  Hold on there partner!

If a process is showing in the Windows Task Manager lists (Application or Processes), it is taking up resources.  There is also a high probability it is running the Windows Message loop.  It may not show time incrementing, due to the poor resolution of the Task Manager timer, but it probably is running.
Every 'EXE',  has a message loop, and it has to run that message loop.  The only EXE files which may not contain a message loop, are the DOS like programs.  Windows will call the message loop as sure as the sun rises.

A normal Windows XP system would have between 19 and 21 processes listed in the "Processes" tab.  The more you have, the more your CPU will be spending time running the Windows message loop, instead of running the game.

Also note, the Task Manager "Process" list DOES NOT show all processes which are actually running.  DLL's do not show up in the Task Manager, and they can be running all the time.

The "Process" list is a pretty course list of programs which are running.  Spyware/Malware programs may not show up in the Task Manger process list.  They can hide behind the rundll32.exe program.  As a matter of fact, that program is a good one to watch for.  In a clean Windows XP system, it should never be running.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Frame rate
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »
Ok guys, I have a Sony Vaio, pentium 4, 2.4 ghz with 1.00 gb Ram. The monitor is a Sony Viao flat panel and came with it and I don't know where to get the Specs for that.

Krusty, I am only using the one (4) prong power source for the Video card so thats not a problem. I basically use this computer only for gaming and web use. So I don't have a bunch of stuff loaded on here (besides I'm not that "up" on computers).

Thanks for the inputs so far guys, I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:51:31 PM by 68Ripper »
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Frame rate
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 03:17:34 PM »
The 4-pin power plugs usually come with 2-3 adapters on the same wire. Are any of the others being used on the line that is going to the video card?

Also hit CTRL ALT DEL when windows is idle, go to the second tab, and at the bottom there is a small label that sayes "Processes:" tell us how many it says are running. Do this when Windows is idle, with as few programs running.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Frame rate
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 03:53:09 PM »
I'd be more worried that the card itself pulls more power than his power supply can handle.  I'd be interested in knowing what the rating is on the power supply.  It may just not be up to a card like the 7800.  Newer cards draw ALOT more juice than the old ones did, and plenty of OEM computers dont have the rocks to handle that big a jump on a upgrade.

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Frame rate
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »
Says 43 processes, don't know how or which ones to shut off and which to leave on. And there is nothing else using that power chord.
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Frame rate
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 08:02:25 PM »
OK, tonight all of a sudden I'm having major problems, I havent done anything to try to fix it but all of a sudden, I'm getting Lines shooting out from other peoples veh/planes and my cockpit looks like a spider web of these lines of all shapes and sizes. worked great all day yesterday with no problem, and for a couple hours today no problem. Now I cant up anything without my view being blocked by these things. I remember a few years ago I had this problem but somehow got it fixed, don't remember how though.
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Frame rate
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 08:17:15 PM »
Have you upgraded to better drivers? It's a new card but chances are there are better drivers available. I'm not sure which version is best for that card.

If you get artifacts, it could be a symptom that the card is overheated. I'm not sure though.

43 processes is way too much. I have 32, but 10 of those are the AV software (disabled when flying).

There's a hard way of finding out what you can disable. Then there's -- no wait, there's just the hard way!

First run msconfig, go to the last tab: "Startup". Google search each and every one. Some are basic needs (like video drivers) some aren't (like the part of the video drivers that handles multiple desktops -- which I have disabled, the CThelper for the sound card isn't necessary, QTTask is a stupid thing from quicktime, Eng Util is that stupid english quicklaunch bar that won't go away unless you uncheck it here, etc etc etc)

Just go down the line. In the google search one of the first links that shows up should help you. Once you know what program it belongs to, then you know if you can disable it or not. If it's not Windows, if you don't need it to run your PC, DISABLE IT! Most of that stuff will launch as you need it, even if you disable it. You won't miss much.

Hope this helps a bit, but you have to do the hard part: searching for the things you have and disabling the ones you want from that list.

Also you can do a google search for processes under the Task Manager screen, but you can't always find those to stop them from loading.

EDIT: After you reboot you'll get a popup message every time you use msconfig. Just check the box that says "don't tell me this again" and hit "continue" or "ignore" or whatever button lets you keep the changes you just made.

EDIT2: Sometimes you don't have to google it. There is a path field, if you make that wide enough you can sometimes tell what an entry belongs to by the path it has -- i.e. if it's under Norton's directory it's part of your antivirus, firewall, or whatever product of that company you have. If it's under the directory of program X, chances are it's part of program X, unless you have several types of program X installed you don't need to search.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 08:24:59 PM by Krusty »