Author Topic: What’s Wrong With the Democrats?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
What’s Wrong With the Democrats?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 10:54:28 PM »
The more radical Democrats of the far left, as opposed to the more moderate centrists, have been rabidly oppositional to Bush since the election of 2000, when he refused to roll over and play dead during the great hanging-chad multiple recount controversy.

In large part, the defeats of Gore and Kerry were largely the result of the failure of Democratic leaders to nominate a true centrist who could appeal to mainstream America.  Whether fair or not, the perception of many average Americans was that Gore and Kerry were merely cleaned up and glossed over 60s radicals.  That fact is reflected in the election day maps of blue and red states, which reveal in stark detail the Democratic Party's failure to make any inroads in the bedrock conservative areas of the country.

The hatred of Bush by the left wing of the Democratic Party is so bitter and vitriolic there is scant hope that there could ever be any reconciliation between them and the President.  That hatred is reflected in the rhetoric emanating from the left:  Bush doesn't make mistakes...he lies, cheats, manipulates, and attempts to subvert the constitution.

Unless the Democrats can abandon that attitude, and squarely face their own shortcomings and the real reasons for continued Republican control of Congress, then they will continue to lose elections.  Control of Congress is decided by elections at the state and local levels, where familiarity and satisfaction with a candidate are most often the deciding factors in who the citizenry elect.

This is not a Presidential election year, so large portions of the electorate may not see the November election as a referendum on Bush.   The Democrats may close the gap, but I cannot see them gaining control of both houses of Congdress.  At best, they may only achieve parity of numbers...and the national legislature will become even more contentious than it already is.

Nominating Hillary Clinton in 2008 would only demonstrate that Democratic leaders refuse to learn from their mistakes.  Current polls notwithstanding, when push comes to shove, many heartland voters will not trust her enough to vote for her.

So, Democrats need to plan their next steps very carefully...or they could very well shoot themselves in the foot again.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 12:29:26 AM by Shuckins »

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 10:55:53 PM »
Originally posted by soda72
yep...

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about the Democrat party?

I think of Jimmy Carter....  that alone is motivation enough to vote Republican.  I was nine when he left office, even at that age I knew he was a terrible president, and both my mother and father are(and still is) die hard Democrats..

Fascinating, if not unbelievable.

You were 5 when Carter entered office and 9 when he left.

And based upon your observations during that time, "that alone is motivation enough to vote Republican?"

That's something else, man. Why am I not buying it?

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 11:10:53 PM »
based upon your observations during

yep...

based on a simple(child) observation.  I remember Iran holding Americans hostages and him being powerless to do anything about it..  Then along came Ronald Ragan....      

And now you know the rest of the story...
;)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:09 PM »
The rest of the story?

How's about backing up to where Bush Sr. met with the Iranians in France, negotiating with them in order that they keep the hostages hostage until after the election?

Arms for hostages ring a bell?

So here ya've got this criminal spectacle of people being held hostage to make Carter look weak, and the Republicans trading the days spent in captivity for arming Iran.

You're right. It was a childish observation.

And the hostages were miraculously released on the afternoon of Reagan's inauguration.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:27:43 PM by Nash »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 11:26:10 PM »
Nash,

You "mis-underestimate" me.  I am not a die hard conservative.  I am not a Bush fan.  I am a "southpark conservative".  I see the current administration as an alternative to a worse scenerio.  I don't defend Bush too often on this board.  I don't think he's great at pushing conservative ideology.

But, I am a voter.  And I have yet to see any major unity on any platform from the democrats that wasn't just anti-bush retoric.  Democrats use the term WMDs as a punchline.  Do you really think people respond well to that?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 11:28:50 PM »
Hmm.... This is twice from you.

Care to give any concrete examples or are you satisfied with your own fiction?

Offline ujustdied

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 11:31:15 PM »
personally the democrats are the stupidest people( the ones running for office) i mean this guy on the colbert report was like" ohh well we need to go tell bush how it is and some 1 needs to stand up for the democrats and we need to take away the troops in iraq and let them defend for them selves". lmao this is what he was saying. personaly i think bush is great for what he has done. the freaking liberals are stupid prettythanges and need to learn how to run something. all they want is our freaking money. the next thing i hate about them is that they always say that there going to fix something and how everything is all wonderfull. but u know they never even once say how there going to do it. lol they never say what there golden idea is. thats why there logo fits perfect. they are a bunch of jack prettythangses

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 11:34:57 PM »
I got an idea.

How about you go brainstorm with Gunslinger in order to come up with something.... real.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 11:36:59 PM »
How about you presenting hard evidence (weblink, newspaper, etc.) supporting your claim of Bush, Sr. and the hostages in Iran?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 11:41:34 PM »
Arms for hostages ring a bell?

yep,

of course years after the fact though...

Seemed to work a tad bit better than the half-assed rescue attempt authorized by a certain "weak" president...

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 11:43:24 PM »
In all reality if the democrats ever hope to win, they had best start embracing (and defending the 2nd Ammendment) and cutting back on social waste programs.  Until they do, the Republicans can and WILL put up better winning candidates.

Nash care to bet another set of hockey tickets on the next election in 08?  I'll make it clear, I am talking rinkside tickets this time.  ;)  ohh and not in the corners either!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2006, 11:47:05 PM »
Yeah, you guys have got to come up (or down) to Nash's standards of accuracy.

Quoting Captain Gunther Russbacher...wow.  He is the source of your accusation about Bush Sr. cutting a deal with the Iranians in 1900, isn't he Nash?

Carter called for an investigation into these allegations but they were found to be unverifiable.

Russbacher...sakes.  He claimed to have survived two assassination attempts by the CIA because some of his Navy Seals squadies ran the bad guys off the road and liquidated them.

If memory serves, Russbacher arse was in a heap of trouble and he was in a federal prison awaiting trial on misuse of government property, including jets for his private use, and misappropriation of funds when he suddenly "broached" this story.

Hardly trustworthy testimony.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:18 PM »
Locally, I'm voting for a couple of democrats in this falls election. (I vote the issues, not the party)  They are starting to understand that making the state "Business-friendly" draws more businesses to start their companies (or expand) in this state with tax breaks, which creates more jobs, and in turn creates more state revenue.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Nash care to bet another set of hockey tickets on the next election in 08?  I'll make it clear, I am talking rinkside tickets this time.  ;)  ohh and not in the corners either!

Of course I'll bet!

What did I give you last time.... $100? I don't know what kinda seats that bought you in Colorado but them's the breaks. :)

At least ya got to enjoy some bonafide maple syrup when you woke up the next morning. :D

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nash

At least ya got to enjoy some bonafide maple syrup when you woke up the next morning. :D

Nash,

You do know I am from Vermont....?  Mom and Dad have a 370 acre sugar maple stand.  I most certainly enjoyed your gifts on top of it, and always will have a place for you in list of friends!  Seriously though, look at how the system works here.  You are giving me free tickets.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.