Author Topic: US carmakers suffer drop in sales  (Read 1457 times)

Offline mtndog

• Zinc Member
US carmakers suffer drop in sales
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »
I've got an '06 STS 4 (all wheel drive capability) its a nice car, although for cars in its class the interior seem s a little lacking. (read cheap). For 66 grand there are alot of nice cars that come into play, but I wanted the all wheel drive capability for Chicago winters and construction sites.
 If you look at the vehicle from a lease standpoint(vs Audi, Bmw etc) its a great car! 27 grand for 2 years, 20000 miles a year. Bmw wanted 35 grand and my '02 STS for the same lease for a 545 ,and the 02 and 45 grand for a 750 L ( I leased). List on the 545 was 65 grand and 75 for the 750. Other than interior fit and finnish, the STS4 has all the same if not more goodies.
and it moves very well.:D

The XLR is about 85 grand , if you saw one for a 100 grand it was an XLR-V. its Supercharged. Almost traded in my vette ('01 c5 conv.) until i found out you cant even get one set of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down.
Can get two sets in the vettes trunk! But they are gorgeous! Interiors are great.

mtndog

p.s. ....i guess im a pig...anyone want to wallow with me

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 11:22:39 AM »
"Can you imagine in the 80's saying, 'Thank God for Cadillac!'??"

The Cadillacs designed in the '80's were damn good vehicles.  My 1990 model had a massive amount of interior space and weighed only 3400 pounds.  If those cars had modern engines, they'd be some of the very best in the world.  The newer Cadillacs (such as the sedan pictured above) are remarkably ugly and uninspired.  For $55,000, why buy Cadillac's copy of a Lexus when you can just buy the real thing instead?

GM shouldn't get rid of Buick or Pontiac, and I think getting rid of Oldsmobile was a mistake.   Their problem is they have too many models competing with each other.  Each name needs its own identity--and they need models that don't suck, too.  Buick *still* doesn't make a single model that can perform as well as my decade-old Buick does.  Worse products for ever-increasing  prices don't sell well....a 1st-grade child can understand that, why can't the execs?

I agree with the statement someone said above that the US automakers have "lost their way".  GM has a long history of cancelling every popular vehicle they produce and replacing them with failures.  Ford seems to enjoy designing vehicles that seem like little more than cheap uglified copies of what the other companies are doing.  Chrysler has done well with the new 300's, but one model won't save the company.  They need to apply that inspiration to the rest of their lineup.  Unfortunately, their Dodge name is typically hit with the ugly stick, so they cancel out their own success.

Pickup trucks shouldn't be $35,000 yuppiemobiles.  I agree with that, too.

I'm one of those people who has no desire to ever drive a car built by a non-US name.  Neither GM nor Ford builds a single model that I'd think about buying.  If they can't even appeal to diehards like me, it's no wonder that people who don't care what brand their car is buy something else!

"the modular OHC v8's are the cheapest in the industry."

Lazs, if you're talking about Ford's modular V-8, that engine is a piece of crap.  I've driven plenty of cars with that engine (not to mention my wife owns one).  The Ford modular V-8 is a pain in the neck to work on, it makes less power than my Buick's LT-1, and it gets *worse* fuel mileage despite being in a lighter car.  It particularly lacks low-end torque.  They should have stayed with the 302.  

Small cars are flimsy and unsafe.  I don't care if it gets 50 MPG if it's just going to be a coffin.  Nonetheless, the US automakers need to build the best small cars they can for the idiots who value a few dollars more than their lives.

J_A_B

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 11:39:02 AM »
As a co-owner of a new Ford vehicle ('05 Mustang) let me tell you as an owner of a fine german automobile that there is no comparison in fit-and-finish and handling when it comes to American autos. My wife Mustang is a heavy, swaying pig around corners. When the doors are shut, it sound like there are marbles in the doors.  The log axle style is a relic left over from the original Model T fords, and its time that the Big 3 get with the program and start producing a car that can complete with offshore automobiles.

Trucks are another story, I like my truck handling "heavy", and it needs to in order to do heavy duty work....a car on the other hand, should NOT handle like a truck...and our mustang does. (She likes it though...I can't stand to drive it...)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
You can blame a % of the proffit issues on the UAW, but the revenue issues fall squarely on non-union shoulders. The big 3 have lost their way... I'd say cadillac was their only bright spot but they only have one car I'd consider with an overpriced SL500 clone and an oversized SUV dragging them down.

I can blame the entire problem on the unions and I can do it without batting an eye.

If it were not for these bull**** union policies that are costing the US automakers BILLIONS (not millions) of dollars a year, they could pump out better cars for less money then any import coming in.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Isnt that the one with V-16 engine???

No I don't think so...I looked it up and the web...V8 pushin 443 horses.

That thing is beautiful tho.....Just a bit outta ole RedTops range tho. :lol
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 04:35:01 PM »
Not to stir anyone's pot, but I just cannot find anything attractive about those new Caddies.  When I see one on the road, I invariably ask myself, "Who in thier right mind would spend money on such an ugly automobile?".

Of course, I find myself asking the same thing about the Chrysler 300.

Not trying to offend anyone.  I just do not get what can be found attractive about these cars.  I know folks have different tastes, but there were always cars most people would have a consensous about.  Like the Pontiac Aztec.  I put the Caddy and 300 in that same boat.

OT:  It does not surprise me the Amercian car companies are struggling.  It would not surprise me to see one or more go into bankruptcy in the next 2 years.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 04:41:04 PM »
Piggies and thus the term "pig"

refers to the rich wallowing around in their wealth like so many pigs in the dirt

Most Caddy owners dont buy them because of their quality.
Same as they dont buy Benz for its quality.

they buy them to show off how much money they have.

Like so many piggies wallowing in the dirt
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:43:58 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Of course, I find myself asking the same thing about the Chrysler 300.

Is like there were trying to make it look like nice benz, but screwed up bad. Never ridden in one, but pretty sure doesn't handle like a benz too.

An yes, I think one or more of big 3 will be in bankrupcy, and it probably will happen sooner than 2 years. Bleeding money at the seams. Unions are killing their golden goose, greedy & they will get what they deserve end of day.  Next thing you will see is whining and wailing because they lost to high paid union job to some offshore manufacturing. If they are smart, they will start retooling their skills now. Manufacturing based jobs in US has very gloomy outlook. Choose to keep head buried in sand and ignore the changing world around you, and at end of day you will get what you deserve. Pension, health care costs and labor costs, coupled with always being about 5 years behind what consumers want...will kill them off.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 05:10:50 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Most Caddy owners dont buy them because of their quality.
Same as they dont buy Benz for its quality.

Don't buy for quality? You got to be kidding. Quality of a Benz surpasses and Ford product. Some of what you say may have truth to it, but to discount quality out of the choice is stupid.

I guess at end of the day I would rather be a rich pig playing in the mud than union manufacturer that is gonna be unemployed & poor because of greed & putting head in the sand.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 05:14:06 PM »
Actually, the taxpayer is in for the screw job.  You can bet the government will step in and bail out any auto manufacturer.  They will do it because the unions will threaten to pull the plug on political funding if they don't.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2006, 05:15:29 PM »
not really fair to compare anything to this:

^^this is one place where art & function meet

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »
Actually, I find the new SL's a bit ugly, as compared to previous year models.

EDIT:  Ugly may be the wrong word.  They just seem to have lost that classic look.  Not sure how to explain it.  I just do not find them attractive, given thier heritage.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »
I've been thinking about replacing the Stratus with something else.

To its credit, after living at the dealership for weeks on end, sorting out a rotor issue...it still gives me 29-31 MPG with its 2.7L V-6.

The Nissan's really look sharp to me.  I know the Honda's are great cars...but everyone has one.  I cant imagine trying to find my own Accord in the local parking lot...it would be a treasure hunt.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...I've bought my last domestic.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »
Actually, the taxpayer is in for the screw job.  You can bet the government will step in and bail out any auto manufacturer.  They will do it because the unions will threaten to pull the plug on political funding if they don't.

Probably truth in that...makes me sick.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »
Actually, I find the new SL's a bit ugly, as compared to previous year models.

EDIT:  Ugly may be the wrong word.  They just seem to have lost that classic look.  Not sure how to explain it.  I just do not find them attractive, given thier heritage.

I know exactly what you mean. It took awhile for me...but I'm there now:)