Author Topic: US carmakers suffer drop in sales  (Read 1460 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
US carmakers suffer drop in sales
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:53:01 PM »
US carmakers have been hit by further falls in sales, with the big names racking up double-digit declines.

Ford said sales sank 35.2% in July compared with last year, Chrysler sales fell 37% and General Motors 19.5%.

Part of the fall was blamed on the fact that heavy discounts seen last year were no longer on offer.

But rising fuel costs and interest rates have led consumers to opt for smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles - delivering a boost to Asian carmakers.

A 16% rise in sales at Japanese group Toyota pushed the automotive firm to the number two carmaker slot in the US - ahead of both Ford and DaimlerChrysler.

Elsewhere, fellow Japanese group Honda said its sales had risen 10% while those of South Korean carmaker Hyundai were up 6%.

Japan's Nissan was the only Asian firm to buck the trend, blaming weak car and truck sales for a 19.5% decline in July car sales when compared with the same time last year.

Changing demands

Ford sales highlighted the changing trends in US buying habits.

So-called "gas guzzling" sports utility vehicle sales were down almost 45% while retail sales for its mid-sized saloon cars - the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr - rose 18%.

"We are particularly encouraged by the response to our new cars, which offer distinctive styling and outstanding fuel economy," said Al Giombetti, president of Ford and Lincoln Mercury sales and marketing. "They are definitely the right products at the right time."

Many analysts blamed the expiry of high-cost discounted buyer offers for much of the decline in sales during the month.

But, Chrysler - the US unit of DaimlerChrysler - has opted to extend its package of discounts until the end of August to clear large numbers of unsold vehicles.

The group had been hoping to clear its warehouses ahead of the launch of a raft of new vehicles.

"Consumers are wrestling with higher interest rates and other increased household costs on a monthly basis," said Chrysler's vice-president for sales strategy, Michael Manley.

Meanwhile, there was further bad news from General Motors after it revealed it was restating its net loss for its recently reported second quarter.

It said losses had now risen by $200m to $3.4 billion (£2.66bn) as a result of tax charges related to the sale of its 51% stake in its GMAC finance arm.

BBC

Boy, these numbers don't look good.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »
The quote that is missing:

"Consumers are realizing that 90% of the products we're offering are complete and total **** and have decided to explore alternatives."

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:16:29 PM »
IF I were in the market to buy a new car, and buy American, I would buy this without a doubt:

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:18:31 PM »
Wow.  Same thing I read back in 1974...or thereabouts.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:19:34 PM »
Yep the Big Three turds have been circling the bowl for a while now.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »
Yup, pretty much.  Even Daimler-Benz can't save a **** like Chrysler.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:34 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
IF I were in the market to buy a new car, and buy American, I would buy this without a doubt:

I totally agree.. it's the only US sedan I'd consider. It is a beautiful car and one of the few reasons it wasn't "because 100% of the cars we make are ****"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:32:33 PM »
Can you imagine in the 80's saying, "Thank God for Cadillac!"??

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:34:19 PM »
Ahem... SOmeone forgot to mention that the "Big 3" are profitable outside North America (especially China).  Btw did you know that the Chinese love Buick LaCrosse:)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 10:36:26 PM »
They no ruv Caderrac???

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:43:38 PM »
OH! So sweet!

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:50:21 PM »
The only American Car divisions i respect are Cadillac and maybe Chevrolet/Ford.  Other US car divisions within the GM should go to hell!  

GM should kill...

Pontiac (downright POS brand)
Buick (we already have Cadillac for luxury segment)
Saturn (who the **** came out with this ****ty brand?!?!?!)
Oldsmobile (the name speaks for itself)

The big 3 should restructure their pension system.  The current pension system is wrecking the Big 3 big time.

Also the Big 3 cars generally have sucky interior except for Cadillac.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 10:50:42 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
They no ruv Caderrac???

LMAO.
sand

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 10:55:38 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
OH! So sweet!

Geesh thats a nice car. Haven't seen those ever. But man  100K?  WOW!!!!
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 11:00:21 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
They no ruv Caderrac???

Only japs would say that;)  Japs have dificulty with letter L and the Chinese have hard time with letter R.

If the Chinese think Buick is the equivalent of Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus then Caddy to them will be the equivalent of RRs and Bentleys.  Caddy is just out of their range (unless you live in Hong Kong :))