Author Topic: US carmakers suffer drop in sales  (Read 1459 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
US carmakers suffer drop in sales
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
Originally posted by BigGun
Don't buy for quality? You got to be kidding. Quality of a Benz surpasses and Ford product. Some of what you say may have truth to it, but to discount quality out of the choice is stupid.

I guess at end of the day I would rather be a rich pig playing in the mud than union manufacturer that is gonna be unemployed & poor because of greed & putting head in the sand.

Im not saying they arent quality vehicles.
Just that most people who do buy them buy them for the quality.
they buy them to show off how much money they have. They buy the name

I deal with alot of rich folk. and I can tell you straight up that if YUGO came out with a rock solid vehicle that never broke down and had a billion mile unlimited warrenty.
Most of these people would still buy Caddy, Benz, and Jaguar.
Because of the name. and Image

They also buy these  POS supersized SUVs fully loaded and vastly overpriced. Not because of their quality. but to show off.
Quality doesnt matter a hoot to most of these people. Its the image.
And nor does quality matter cause they trade the friggen things in damn near every year for a brand new one.

Its all about showing off their wealth
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 06:58:34 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Actually, I find the new SL's a bit ugly, as compared to previous year models.

EDIT:  Ugly may be the wrong word.  They just seem to have lost that classic look.  Not sure how to explain it.  I just do not find them attractive, given thier heritage.

I agree 100% and have said that about BMW and Merc over the last 3 years! But alas, "eyeball appeal" is lower on the list for me than other factors when looking at new cars...my wife, OTOH...she bought the Stang cause she liked the way it looked.  POS suspension be damned!

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »
Originally posted by eureka101
SUV popularity on the wane?

Not really... lots of people are dreaming to own these... :D

(btw) 日本人ですか?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 07:55:11 PM by 1K3 »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 09:10:31 PM »
The sad part is, that SUV looks like any other GM SUV, except beaten with an ugly stick.

They all look like jacked-up station wagons to my eyes.

J_A_B

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 09:16:16 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Not really... lots of people are dreaming to own these... :D

I always crack up when I see a pimp wagon like that on the road.  First, that has got to be the worst ride ever with tires that thin...and Second, any bigger rims and he/she would have to use the railroad tracks to commute on!

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 01:50:21 AM »
SUVs are still as popular as ever.

I haven't bought a new Ford cause my '95 model still PWNS!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 07:02:42 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I agree 100% and have said that about BMW and Merc over the last 3 years! But alas, "eyeball appeal" is lower on the list for me than other factors when looking at new cars...my wife, OTOH...she bought the Stang cause she liked the way it looked.  POS suspension be damned!
I know what you mean.  When I was looking for a new car, I went between the Lexus IS250 and the BM330Ci.

I think the exterior of the BMW is better looking than the Lexus.  The deciding factors were the gas mileage and the interior of the Lexus.  Better gas mileage without giving up performance is always a good deal.

The interior was really what got me into the Lexus.  I much prefer the exterior of the BMW, but the interior reminded me of the 70's.  It just looked dated to me.

If you could take the interior of the Lexus, put it inside the BMW, you would have one helluva car.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 07:04:54 AM »
I know what you mean.  When I was looking for a new car, I went between the Lexus IS250 and the BM330Ci.

I think the exterior of the BMW is better looking than the Lexus.  The deciding factors were the gas mileage and the interior of the Lexus.  Better gas mileage without giving up performance is always a good deal.

The interior was really what got me into the Lexus.  I much prefer the exterior of the BMW, but the interior reminded me of the 70's.  It just looked dated to me.

If you could take the interior of the Lexus, put it inside the BMW, you would have one helluva car.

By interior i trust you also mean the electronics?

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 09:01:46 AM »
I'll take function over form for $100 Alex.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 11:19:56 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
By interior i trust you also mean the electronics?
The entire layout, materials, textures, and colors.  Difficult to quantify this, but the interior of the Lexus does not make itself known.

When I was test driving the BMW, I found the interior to require more attention.

The interaction between the dash and the driver was more cumbersome in the BMW.  That is not to say it is a bad layout.  For me, the Lexus just had everything right.  Was really wierd actually.

To add clarity, I am the kind of driver who does not like a busy dash.  The simpler the better.  I want to drive, not spend time farting around with controls on the dash board.  For me, the Lexus has an edge over the BMW in this department.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 11:27:08 AM »
The entire layout, materials, textures, and colors.  Difficult to quantify this, but the interior of the Lexus does not make itself known.

When I was test driving the BMW, I found the interior to require more attention.

The interaction between the dash and the driver was more cumbersome in the BMW.  That is not to say it is a bad layout.  For me, the Lexus just had everything right.  Was really wierd actually.

To add clarity, I am the kind of driver who does not like a busy dash.  The simpler the better.  I want to drive, not spend time farting around with controls on the dash board.  For me, the Lexus has an edge over the BMW in this department.

I agree with your assessment, though I never test drove a Lexus.  They are certainly appealing to me and I will test drive one once I wear this bimmer out.

All my controls are on the steering wheel, my computer read out for the temp, fuel mpg, gallons to go, time, etc. are on the end of the left turn signal but thats within my pinky's reach with both hands on the wheel. My radio station, CD controls, cell  phone and autopilot (;) ) are all on the steering wheel. The only time I look at the dash is to determine what RPM I'm at (although I primarily shift by sound of RPM) and speed.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 11:53:17 AM »
In some ways they are similar, in others they are very far apart Rip.

Quite frankly, I do not believe one could go wrong with either of them.  It all boils down to personal preference.  I still think the BMW is the better looking of the two.

When you get ready to get a new car Rip, I should be able to provide a good long term evaluation of this one.  It is almost a year old (October)  now.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »
In some ways they are similar, in others they are very far apart Rip.

Quite frankly, I do not believe one could go wrong with either of them.  It all boils down to personal preference.  I still think the BMW is the better looking of the two.

When you get ready to get a new car Rip, I should be able to provide a good long term evaluation of this one.  It is almost a year old (October)  now.
Thanks. Albeit that may be about 5-10 more years considering I'm getting such good reliability at 82k so far ;)  That and the wife wanting an inground pool has  about killed my plans for an M3 or Porsche! :(

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
That'll work.  I will still have this car.  I figure to have it until 2015.  Of course, they will probably not be making it then, or it will be so different a comparison would be impossible.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »
Beet, get some self respect, eh?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!