Author Topic: Chuck Yeager says...  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:25:37 PM »
Last weekend at AirVenture Oshkosh,  I had the pleasure to once again here Yeager speak.  

He was talking about the P51 and the Bell program.  A couple comments he made were... with 10degrees flaps, the Mustang can turn inside a Spitfire, a 109 or a 190.   He also said that the Mustang can do everything a Spitfire can,  but instead of for 90mins it does it for 8hrs.  

After some discusion about this around the camp fire that night,  it was pointed out...  

"What does Yeager know..  He never flew Aces High!"  

We all got a good chuckle outa that one,  thought you might as well.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
amazing guy, but every year the P51 gets better.

next year it will out-perform the F22, and should be back in active military service. ;)
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline NAVCAD

• Zinc Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:33:34 PM »
You mean it SHOULDN't???????:O      :)

NAVCAD

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
lol
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »
It's funny how pretty much no other Pony pilot or Spitfire pilot would agree with that, but hell, what do the rest of the world know?

Btw, did he ever fly a Spitfire?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »
Read Bob Hoover's book sometime, he has interesting views on the different aircraft and he flew Spitfires, P51s, P38s, FWs, 109s, Zekes, and countless others.

If you don't know, Bob Hoover was (as he said) was orginally was destined to fly the Bell X-1 but for goofing off in a P80 he lost his chance and instead was stuck flying the chase plane instead.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »
yeager had hek of alot of luck gettin a few of his kills, u know he got a few of em from simply gettin behind a 109, the 109 got scared an ran into its wingman......two kills for chuck
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:46:47 PM »
A kills a kill. Don't matter how you get it.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
John Allison agrees with General Yeager if you read what he wrote in the all services fighter analysis of 1945 and while in England with the P51 aka Mustang 1A earlier in the war. He fought a mock fight against a British ace before turning tables and each flying the other plane.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 11:43:41 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:43:55 PM »
Yeah it' s like a dirty or ugly shot in basketball. No matter ho wit looked when it went up, the bottom lin eis it went in.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:34:10 AM »
Thats freakin hilarious!  I'm planning on attending Oshkosh next year!  Is there a group of guys from AH that goes?  I think it would be a blast getting together!

For those of you who went, if you happened to stop by the tent for "FLYING" magazine, you may have met my goodfriend Kate, or her father, the publisher, and also an ex- AH-1 attack helicopter pilot who flew two tours in Viet Nam!

I know its a year out, but PM me if you attend Oshkosh annually...I'd love to hear some more about it to start planning my trip for 07!
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 07:30:52 AM »
Yeager also claimed to have tally on bandits 50 miles away.  You gotta take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 10:37:08 AM »
You gotta take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.
====
Take eveything you read on this bsb with a grain of salt, and in some cases, the whole shaker :rolleyes:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
Got lots of respect for Yeager, but...

"with 10degrees flaps, the Mustang can turn inside a Spitfire, a 109 or a 190."

It depends on relative airspeeds, as it always does. Through all regimes? no.

All anecdotal comments tend to be very over generalised, but they are still interesting to listen to.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »
Yeager came to Tulsa, and my grandpa, my dad, and I went to see him. The place was packed, and Yeager would talk about how he hates NASA becuase they took over the space program. Yeager says if the Airforce still had control of the space program all of the Apollo crashes, and any other disasters wouldn't have happend. He said that the Airforce would wait tell it was safe enough to launch any rockets or space shuttles to space. He blaims NASA for most of the disasters becuase they were to eager to beat the Russians to the moon.

Who knows if most of the things he says is right. I mean what do most old people say, there full of true facts becuase they have already been there.
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!