Author Topic: HO fighting....  (Read 4705 times)

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2006, 11:47:01 PM »
If you want to duel, go to the DA. If you want to HO come to the MA. Simple as that. Don't try to push your dogma on me.

Originally posted by SkyRock
What a goobR loser dweeb statement!  HO's are for folks that are lazy and don't want to learn how to dogfight.  If your pathetic life allows you to play this game for more than six months and still call the HO a valid tactic in a cartoon plane game, then it says alot about what kinda of competitor you are.  I HO'd the dickens out of people when I first played because it was the only thing that gave me a 50% chance at survival.  In hindsight, I realise it was because I had no other manuvers to set the guy up.  I agree with Zazen that many of the vets that fly Hurri's see a plane coming in on their 6 with E and turn to face them and fire and then say, "Don't point your nose at me or I will Shoot!" in their lame attempt to validate a pisspoor, loser, no-skill, lazy, not wanting to learn, type of gameplay.  When in reality they could nose down for some E, let the guy get about 1000 off, start a slow turn either direction, and barrel roll around the guys bullets to end up on his six as he's passing by to fill his six full of zooka's!  Learn to not HO!  Learn to not HO!  It ruins what is so special about AH, which is the opportunity to "dogfight" WWII planes.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
HO fighting....
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2006, 01:14:44 AM »
Originally posted by SunKing
I'll try to answer.
General concensus is....

If you lack ACM you HO.

HO is a quick out, no skill tactic and looked down on when used primarily.

I disagree. When i am getting vulched from above, he has more E, more speed, and better angles. There is nothing i can do to get behind him almost. So what am i left with? turn head on to him, and climb into him. Deny him a shot at my 6. Hes got altitude, speed, and all i have left is the Head On shot to try to keep him from getting me. In these situations, when its either HO, or get vulched, is that not a fair shot?

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2006, 01:20:43 AM »
Reynold's your proving his point for him by typing what you typed.

Sunday in the TA if you have time i will show how defend the situation you described above.PM and i will let you know the time i will be in there.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2006, 01:28:40 AM »
Originally posted by Reynolds
I disagree. When i am getting vulched from above, he has more E, more speed, and better angles. There is nothing i can do to get behind him almost. So what am i left with? turn head on to him, and climb into him. Deny him a shot at my 6. Hes got altitude, speed, and all i have left is the Head On shot to try to keep him from getting me. In these situations, when its either HO, or get vulched, is that not a fair shot?

Well if you just got off the runway, by all means, HO away.  If you're talking about being lower and slower then someone, take Todd up on his offer...  There are other things to do.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2006, 02:00:26 AM »
Well, i know the basic turn in to deny him the shot, climb while hes behind, turn again and keep doing that until you are even. Thats what i do, but sometimes you see their shots pinging you head on, you can see their pilot in your crosshairs, and that 30mm is SCREAMING to be used...

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2006, 02:23:08 AM »
It's simple.  The HO is going to be with us forever and ever.  Expecting it to go away won't work.

I don't buy into you can avoid it anytime you want.  I do believe you can avoid it most of the time.  Here's a screenshot of me and that 190D9 that HO'd and ran 10-11 times before he finally hit me.  Note where his firing is going.  I'm not in the stream of fire, but I took at pilot wound and my engine started smoking at that exact moment.  Clearly what he saw and what I saw was different so judging when to slide out of the way doesn't always work.

That being said, what it speaks to is a lack of effort on the part of the HO pilot not some great tactic.

This isn't the real deal so there is no risk for a guy taking a HO.  If he miscalculates, all he loses is his airplane which is replaced by a brand new one everytime he dies.

The minute HTC makes this a one life and you are done game, then I'll buy into the HO as a valid tactic. Because then you have something to lose and the HO involves some risk.   Until then it's just lack of effort.

Just my opinion of course and you are free to have fun anyway you see fit in the game.  And if that means HOing away everytime, go for it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2006, 03:27:35 AM »
Ill admit. If i have a HO shot, i take it. I take any shot i can get. However, i try to avoid the HOs, just because they arent always that accurate. I will always try a 6 o'clock, or a top-down. They are so much better.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2006, 03:28:39 AM »
Well, how many times do you see a HO in a scenario?

Never seen one and  I've probably never HO'd in a scenario. Way too risky.

-C+

Ed. actually I've HO'd once, accidentally -chasing one more kill, and lost a wing in the process. :cry
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 03:30:43 AM by Charge »
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2006, 03:49:30 AM »
Hey, that was your wing i was flying today, wasnt it? Anyway, especially in scenarios i like the concept of a HO. if you time things just right, its a perfect shot!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2006, 06:09:08 AM »
What a goobR loser dweeb statement!  HO's are for folks that are lazy and don't want to learn how to dogfight.  If your pathetic life allows you to play this game for more than six months and still call the HO a valid tactic in a cartoon plane game, then it says alot about what kinda of competitor you are.  I HO'd the dickens out of people when I first played because it was the only thing that gave me a 50% chance at survival.  In hindsight, I realise it was because I had no other manuvers to set the guy up.  I agree with Zazen that many of the vets that fly Hurri's see a plane coming in on their 6 with E and turn to face them and fire and then say, "Don't point your nose at me or I will Shoot!" in their lame attempt to validate a pisspoor, loser, no-skill, lazy, not wanting to learn, type of gameplay.  When in reality they could nose down for some E, let the guy get about 1000 off, start a slow turn either direction, and barrel roll around the guys bullets to end up on his six as he's passing by to fill his six full of zooka's!  Learn to not HO!  Learn to not HO!  It ruins what is so special about AH, which is the opportunity to "dogfight" WWII planes.

Toad, Zazen & SkyRock.   <> there are a few of us left.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2006, 06:47:36 AM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Was cruising along at 17k earlier today in a 38J. Spied a lone 51, he spied me, no other planes around looked like a good fight was in the offing. Went to merge, we were both fast and coming at each other head on. I dipped my nose a little and my right wing to show I had no intention of HOing. He dipped his nose and left wing, matched my course and lit me up.

That is a HO in my book. That is showing no intention of tying to fight our pretend planes until skill decides the winner.

Incidentally, I still beat him and took great pleasure in taking every peice off of his plane until he bailed, then I shot down his parachute. yes, I was bitter.

I dont blame you Tinman i hate it when that happens it seems to me that people in p51 always wanna HO and its really sad in my book. I hate N1k pilots because all they seem to do is fly for the HO nothing else.
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2006, 07:09:12 AM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
Did you have fun because thats what it is all about anyways.

every time I up :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2006, 07:19:20 AM »
You guys crack me up. The best cartoon pilot in this game is a HOtard. Where does he fit into your classifications?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2006, 07:29:16 AM »

Hmmm.  Perhaps this is just a bit overbroad (not to mention unpleasant).

I'll throw my money on top of Brauno's here.  HOs are not usually a very wise tactic, but I think it's silly not to take any shot that presents itself.  Quite often I find that this occurs in scissoring, and also when both planes are doing the endless-loop routine.  In the former situation, of course, it was the basis of the Thatch Weave (those lazy pathetic loser Navy fliers at the beginning of the war, remember them?).

Having said that, I found myself at home with extra time on my hands on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.  Couldn't lure the daytime crowd into the AvA, so I spent a fair amount of time (for me) in the MA.  There's no question, in my mind at least, that a huge number of fliers there - seemed to me like it was well over half - use the HO as their preferred tactic, which is just plain dumb.

- oldman (heh, unless you're flying Il-2s defending a capped base - I had to admit that was fun) (I also learned that I was all in favor of ganging the survivors of the group that so enjoyed vulching us) (it will turn you vicious, the MA will)

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2006, 08:24:55 AM »
These are always the best threads. Funny arguments on both sides. shades without the sac to post under your normal names.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:34:24 AM by SunKing »