Author Topic: HO fighting....  (Read 4254 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2006, 04:19:41 PM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
But this isn't war it's  a game and no one's life depends on it.

Yet people yell and scream beacuse they want the game to be more "realistic". . . .

Read the biographies of the aces - most of them mention "HO'ing" at one time or another - especially Bong.  It made sense with the grouped firepower of the 38 against the lightly armored Japanese aircraft.

IMHO if the afore mentioned "AH Elite" hadn't cut their teeth in Air Warrior, where the HO shot was effectively disabled, it wouldn't be something to be offended about here in AH.  Another case of people whining because the opponents don't fly the way they want them to.

If you have a red plane in your sights - pull the trigger.

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2006, 04:45:41 PM »
SKjohn i agree with you completely on that.Mr.Bong also had really poor eyesight so the close up shots worked for him even while Head On.I really don't want the "GAME" to be more realistic as much as i want some actual fights once in a while.Last night i ran into this guy at 25-k.he was a spit14 i was in my trusted Razorback and he ends up running away from me like a Chump, ran to his little gurl friends all flying Spit16's HOing every plane they see.I want to find a fight where the spit14 and i tangle for 5 or 6 mins. at 25-K where very few other people fly and i don't have to worry about the "kill happy get my name up in lights Types" are flying.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2006, 04:50:06 PM »
SKjohn i agree with you completely on that.Mr.Bong also had really poor eyesight so the close up shots worked for him even while Head On.I really don't want the "GAME" to be more realistic as much as i want some actual fights once in a while.Last night i ran into this guy at 25-k.he was a spit14 i was in my trusted Razorback and he ends up running away from me like a Chump, ran to his little gurl friends all flying Spit16's HOing every plane they see.I want to find a fight where the spit14 and i tangle for 5 or 6 mins. at 25-K where very few other people fly and i don't have to worry about the "kill happy get my name up in lights Types" are flying.

Well, it'd take us a darn long time to get that high, but I'd like to get a feel for the F4U4's envelope up there, and if you like Jugs, I think we might be able to strike a deal in the DA for a few hours :)

Better find me tonight if you want anything even remotely resembling a challenge, though...  I have new gear coming and will be a newbie all over again in a few days...  To Jamusta's delight :cry  :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2006, 04:56:37 PM »

Be careful using Bong as an example.  His quote was in essence that his gunnery was poor so he had to 'fly right up their A**' to get his kills.  He didn't say he flew right up their nose :)

I woud be curious as to where you saw documentation of Bong having poor eyesight.  Never heard that before.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2006, 05:14:40 PM »
It was SKjohn that brought Bong up.

I volunteer twice a month at WPAAF Museum and i got the info from there as well as the biography on bong that was on the Military channel.

I read a report about Bong's flight training and it says where he was practicing against the instructor who was in a 38 and he was in a AT6 Texan.Bong was able to reverse behind the experienced pilot.The instructor said Bong was the most naturally gifted pilot he had ever saw.

let me do some digging Guppy and i will see if i can find that and some other stuff i have found.if so i will let you know.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril

*Bonus points if you know where the quote came from...without google. [/B]

My mom if I'm not mistaken :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
Originally posted by sullie363
It takes two to HO.  

I see this argument alot by HO'ers. It is totally and utterly untrue, think about it. Anyone who flies a plane that manuevers poorly relative to the average knows this. Simply stated, any plane with a major manueverability advantage can force a HO on an unwilling, relatively unmanueverable opponent, Hurricanes and Nikis are fabulous at this. So, if both planes have comparable manueverability it really may take two. But, if one has a significant manueverability advantage he can force a HO in the majority of situations if he commits to it regardless of what the far less manueverable plane does to avoid it...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I see this argument alot by HO'ers. It is totally and utterly untrue, think about it. Anyone who flies a plane that manuevers poorly relative to the average knows this. Simply stated, any plane with a major manueverability advantage can force a HO on an unwilling, relatively unmanueverable opponent, Hurricanes and Nikis are fabulous at this. So, if both planes have comparable manueverability it really may take two. But, if one has a significant manueverability advantage he can force a HO in the majority of situations if he commits to it regardless of what the far less manueverable plane does to avoid it...

Zazen

I call BS. A simple barrel roll will always avoid the HO. If you don't have enough E to barrel roll you are a sitting duck no matter which way you are attacked from.

I will even challenge you to the DA to "force" me into an HO, I bet you can't do it.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is up a ME-110G2 with the 4 20 mm's and 2 30 mm's and HO everything in sight. It is simply astounding the number of folks that will fly headlong into a withering stream of cannon fire. I find it hysterical, especially if it illicits an HO whine, oh sure Mr. Spitty let me present my a** to you :huh

The HO is a just as valid a tactic as any other, you fly your plane, I'll fly mine. The louder the whining the more effective the tactics.

There is one caveat, a duel with pre-arranged rules and ettiquete, often includes a wings-level, guns-cold merge at the start. If you expect this in the MA you get exactly what you deserve.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:48:52 PM by g00b »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 08:50:13 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Simply stated, any plane with a major manueverability advantage can force a HO on an unwilling, relatively unmanueverable opponent,
Zazen

Without comment on your basic premise, I'd just like to point out that anyone in a plane with a major manueverability advantage that HO's a relatively unmanueverable opponent is a tardling.

Obviously, with such an advantage there are far better ways to score a kill.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 09:06:12 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Your squadron as a whole does this.   I've encountered about 8 of you over the last week.    But let's not talk about that tidbit.  :aok   I just feel bad for my friend VegasX.

Does what Mash? Takes planes apart peice by peice or shoots down chutes?

It was the first time I had ever done the latter.

edited for spelling
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2006, 09:09:29 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
Does what Mash? Takes planes apart peice by peice or shoots down chutes?

It was the first time I had ever done the latter.

edited for spelling

HO's.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »
I'm sorry you think so poorly of us. I can't speak for the entire squadron, only for myself; I try to avoid the HO at all times.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
HO fighting....
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:01 PM »
Never said you guys were poor.   Just stated that in the last 3-4 days I've been HO'd by about 8 different Unforgiven.   I've actually had the pleasure of meeting VegasX in person at the 2003 Con.   Maybe pass this on to VegasX.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
HO fighting....
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Without comment on your basic premise, I'd just like to point out that anyone in a plane with a major manueverability advantage that HO's a relatively unmanueverable opponent is a tardling.

Obviously, with such an advantage there are far better ways to score a kill.
And if more maneuverable also means you are so much slower you will never catch the "less maneuverable" plane?

You think a Hurri is going to be able to maneuver for a kill against a Tempest?  IL2 going to catch an LA-7?

It's either HO or be BnZed to death . . .

"All blanket statements are wrong . . . Including this one."
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
HO fighting....
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:49 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Never said you guys were poor.   Just stated that in the last 3-4 days I've been HO'd by about 8 different Unforgiven.   I've actually had the pleasure of meeting VegasX in person at the 2003 Con.   Maybe pass this on to VegasX.

VegasX is my CO and he is a great person.  Believe it or not, but the squad is made up of over 60 members.  I avoid ho's at all cost.  And if a head on is presented, I die with honor by not pulling the trigger.

Masherbrum
Time's fun when you're having flies.