Author Topic: Woman Fired for Being a Female.  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Woman Fired for Being a Female.
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2006, 09:11:09 PM »
Hope you get baby poop all over ya.

That is sooooooo guhroooooss!! How could you wish that on him? :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2006, 09:55:29 PM »
I dont even see why the nursery issue needs to be about any decision but a financial one.  The insurance company would require background checks and records to be maintained for anyone working in there (require you to spend money), and they would more than likely still charge a higher rate for the insurance.

So the question becomes Chairboy, if this were your church, would you  be willing to pay extra money out in order to make your moral stand against this profiling, or take the simple expedient of only using those workers deemed "safe"?

Note I'm not making any determination of whether one gender is "safer" than another in this role, simply using the insurance company's definition.

On the issue of the woman from the Baptist church being fired, well, you can throw names all you like.  It doesnt change the fact that for many years, popular Christian denominations have been allowing changes to their rules to "update" themselves to fit in with popular public opinion.  Baptists, for the most part, pretty much hold that the Bible IS the Word of God.  Its not something you can change.  In this, there are similarities to the arguments being waged over the Constitution, some feeling it is necessary to "update" it to change with the times, that a document that is 200+ years old cannot possibly be relevant to today's society.  Many conservative branches of Christian denominations have never been 100% comfortable with changes made to "update" their congregations.  I happen to agree with them.  I dont necessarily agree with the decision of this particular Baptist church, nor their interpretations of Scripture, but they certainly have the right as church leaders duly elected to try to bring their church back more in line with biblical teachings.

To quote the great Charles Spurgeon:

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible.

Or in this case, adjust our church to the Bible.  I see nothing wrong and much right with that effort.  I think they just got a little overzealous in the matter of Sunday School teachers.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
Ya know it's quite possible that the woman was just too old to continue teaching and the part about women teaching men was just an excuse to fill the spot with someone younger allowing her to save a little face.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
You can wordsmith all you like, but the separation of the State from a recognized church is a good thing. Period.

I'm not sure anyone said otherwise.

As for wordsmithing, you'll have to take that up with TJ.

And, any forthcoming denials/strawmen/red herrings aside, it seems most people have no idea what TJ meant when he wrote the part about "building a wall of eternal separation between Church & State."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2006, 07:58:06 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
Call me an ad homenimist if you will  

It will pass. It`s the "I`ve found a new phrase for the O`club" fad. It`s all the latest rage . This one has about ran it`s course since it is being overused by the Webster archivers. When the horse falls on it`s face from being over ridden , it will be time to head down to the Webster wine cellar and dust off the cobwebs in search of something new and chic. :)
Church policy is and should be left up to the church members and it`s leaders.
It`s not anyone else`s business, no matter how scared they are of religion.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I'm not sure anyone said otherwise.

As for wordsmithing, you'll have to take that up with TJ.

And, any forthcoming denials/strawmen/red herrings aside, it seems most people have no idea what TJ meant when he wrote the part about "building a wall of eternal separation between Church & State."

I think this guy understands it pretty well:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210302,00.html