Author Topic: Rome:Total War  (Read 1788 times)

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Rome:Total War
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:03:23 PM »
Is it worth the money to buy it and the expansion packs?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:08:03 PM »
There is a demo available; find out for yourself. Initially, it was highly addictive to me.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »
Get it.  Don't buy the expansion pack yet unless you get it for a killer deal price.  DON'T install the expansion pack yet.  

DO install Rome Total Realism.  It's a player-made modification that makes the game much, much better.  The only issue you may run into is the new RTW cds might have upgraded to version 1.5 whereas RTR is designed for 1.2.

There's good news for you if you do find that it is 1.5.  First of all, there is a "Rome Total Realism Platinum Edition" which is for it, but which was not primarily designed by the Rome Total Realism team (They did the "Gold" edition).  I cannot say if this is or is not buggy as hell.  I can tell you the "Gold" edition for 1.2 is generally not.

More good news though - the RTR team is working on RTR 7.0 which will be for the Barbarian Invasion Expansion pack.  Expect bugs at first, but also expect them to be resolved promptly.  This team really is dedicated.

When 7.0 will be out, I can't say.  But, hopefully, within the year (and once you try Gold, you'll wait for it as if it were CT/TOD).

You can find the download for Gold at totalrealism.net

You can find other downloads, such as platinum, at various other RTW sites.

Word of warning - do not visit rometotalrealism.com.  There was a schism within the group and this site is outdated, and possibly a danger to your PC.

I hope this helped.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 10:15:14 PM »
I loved the game.  My Scythian horse archers could tear anyone a new anus, even fully developed Rome.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 10:16:07 PM »
Pretty much agree with Vudak. RTW is awesome and they have a bunch of mods to make it even better. The expansion was disappointing for me and I don't care for it much but RTW is about all I play anymore. I highly recommend it.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:31:50 PM »
I disagree that the Rome Total Realism mod is a decent mod. Imo, they took a game and tryed to make it a sim. What they ended up with was something that was niether a game or a sim.

After RTR 1.6ish I uninstalled the game and got rid of the mod. Cavalry and missile units were nerfed to the point of being useless. More buildings were added to the build qeues without adding cash flow making it take rediculous amounts of time to build up your cities.

With the 1.6ish mod I had cavalry units charge phalanx units from the rear repeatedly while the phalanx was engaged by an infantry unit essentially locking down the phalanx in melee combat. I could never get the phalanx to break and rout. This was with an experienced cavalry unit vs a *green* phalanx.

To their credit they did fix the suiciding generals and infantry outrunning cavalry.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »
Medieval TotalWar 2 should be out this fall!

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 11:26:41 PM »
I was addicted to that for a week or 2, but it quickly lost its appeal. Fun game, though.
Army of Muppets

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:44:34 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
I loved the game.  My Scythian horse archers could tear anyone a new anus, even fully developed Rome.

Did you ever play Gaul? Those Forester Warbands rock. The Forester Warbands would give any unit a run for its money.

I won a battle once, when all my infantry and cavalry had broken and run off the map. All I had left was 6 Forester Warbands against some of the best Greek Phalanx units, Armored Hoplites and Spartan Hoplites. I had my Forester Warbands all target ONE phalanx at a time. Each phalanx took casualties so fast they never got close to my archers before breaking/routing. Granted, the phalanxs were no longer in a straight battle line, that line had been broken up when the phalanxes tryed to chase my routing units, so that definitely helped as well. :D

Pharoah's Bowmen are about the same quality as the Forester Warbands.

One thing I do miss about RTR is the new factions and units.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:28:42 AM »
XGM is an awesome mod IMO.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 12:45:27 AM »
Still playing it regularly, it's one of my favourites. Am currently playing it as the Brutii with the Mundus magnus mod (huge map with 300+ provinces).

Get it now!!!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 01:13:16 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Still playing it regularly, it's one of my favourites. Am currently playing it as the Brutii with the Mundus magnus mod (huge map with 300+ provinces).

Get it now!!!

You have any CTD issues with Mundus Magnus? I do, but I'm not sure why.

I like this mod, mostly just an oversized map and the cash flow seems to be a bit better than the original version. Doesnt seem to be a big difference, could just be my imagination too. :D

XGM is an awesome mod IMO.

Have a link for that mod? And is it just for Rome: Total War or for the expansion as well? (I don't have the expansion)

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
Re: Rome:Total War
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 01:23:35 AM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Is it worth the money to buy it and the expansion packs?

X-Play (a reputable game reviewing show) gave all the expantion packs a 4 out of 5, though the Alexander the Great one had a bit of a brisk pace that can take some getting used to.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 02:46:36 AM »
No CTD here Elfie, It's the only mod in this install over a vanilla 1.5. Those pesky egyptians and their chariots ar giving me a hard time, Gaul has a surprisingly strong army and so has Germania. It is much more 'active' than a vanilla map as all factions have more cities/income to start with.

Finaly gotten to the point of the Gaius marius event... I am now building Legionary/urban cohorts... then those damned egyptians will pay the price.

I have BI, but could never get into it... you start with territories set too far apart, and i can't be arsed to play anything else than the Romans.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 03:59:14 AM »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.