Author Topic: Rome:Total War  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Rome:Total War
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 03:16:13 PM »
no, it needs a:-

"Member of the official we love Furball fanclub" in there somewhere.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »
I played the demo. I really like it. I thought there was more city management to it tho. No just battles.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
Have a link for that mod? And is it just for Rome: Total War or for the expansion as well? (I don't have the expansion)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46790

You just need v1.5 installed. You don't need BI.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 04:44:56 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46790

You just need v1.5 installed. You don't need BI.

Thanks, I am downloading it now. Is it possible to have more than one mod installed at the same time? I suspect that answer is no.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »
I really don't know. I know with this mod you can still play rome: total war 1.5 if you choose too. It doesn't force you to just play XGM, kinda nice.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
I played the demo. I really like it. I thought there was more city management to it tho. No just battles.

Basically city management consists of deciding which buildings to put in the build qeue based on what you need in that city....ie, public order improvements, population growth improvements, economic improvements or military buildings.

I normally have a few core cities where I build ALL units. Those cities main priority is obviously military buildings. The rest of my cities I concentrate on economic improvements FIRST, and toss in other buildings as needed.

Example: City A is being built up for economic results but during the process public order begins to get low, I'll toss a couple buildings that give public order adjustments into the qeue, then go right back to economic buildings.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
I really don't know. I know with this mod you can still play rome: total war 1.5 if you choose too. It doesn't force you to just play XGM, kinda nice.

I think with mods like Rome: Total Realism and Mundus Magnus the issue stopping you from playing the vanilla version is the map changes. If XGM doesnt change the map, that would explain how you can play the vanilla version with the mod installed.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
Basically city management consists of deciding which buildings to put in the build qeue based on what you need in that city....ie, public order improvements, population growth improvements, economic improvements or military buildings.

I normally have a few core cities where I build ALL units. Those cities main priority is obviously military buildings. The rest of my cities I concentrate on economic improvements FIRST, and toss in other buildings as needed.

Example: City A is being built up for economic results but during the process public order begins to get low, I'll toss a couple buildings that give public order adjustments into the qeue, then go right back to economic buildings.

So there IS other parts to the game outside battles.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »
I think with mods like Rome: Total Realism and Mundus Magnus the issue stopping you from playing the vanilla version is the map changes. If XGM doesnt change the map, that would explain how you can play the vanilla version with the mod installed.

Naw Elfie, they just designed it so you can play both. I know XGM uses the big map but it installs itself into the RTW folder in a way that you can also play vanilla 1.5. I don't know why others didn't do this as well?
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 05:16:31 PM »

Yes BlueJ, there is the battle map and lso the world map. The battle map is for battles while the world map is where you build up your cities/armies and move your armies, amoung other things.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 05:17:17 PM »

Yes there is. I never played the demo so I'm not sure what all is involved.

I spend more time on the campaign map than I do on the battle map. Every few turns I look at each cities stats and make adjustments to taxation levels and also make sure every city that still has buildings to be built, has at least one in the build qeue.

If you buy the game, dont over look spys and assassins.

I use spys to see what units and how much exp (if any) enemy armies and garrisons have. Every one of your cities should have a friendly spy in them, helps reduce civil unrest and root out enemy spies.

I use assassins to take down enemy generals, spys, assassins, diplomats and governors. Assassinating enemy Generals can make battles far easier because enemy units tend to rout easier if they dont have a General on the field with them.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 05:18:50 PM »
The demo just has a battle tutuorial and one playable battle in it. Thats it,
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »
The demo just has a battle tutuorial and one playable battle in it. Thats it,

Ewww....guess thats why it's the demo eh? :D

One more thing with spies. Send them into enemy cities before you lay siege, they just might open the city gates for you when you assault. ;)

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
Thats why I asked. I was like...thats what all the hoopla is over? Yes it looks purty and has nice battle dimensions...but again, thats it?
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
It is definately a fun, addictive game Blue. I highly recommend it. Play the vanilla version first, get a feel for things before trying one of the many mods.