Author Topic: Rome:Total War  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Rome:Total War
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
I tried the huge size armies in a new campain just to see what it looked like. Considering how long it takes for a large scale battle Im happy with my the origanal setting.

I wish I had more family memebers to run my cities. I adopt and marry em all but could still use more. In a few turns Im gona have 3 come of age.

There is never enough family members, get used to it. :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »
I tried the huge size armies in a new campain just to see what it looked like. Considering how long it takes for a large scale battle Im happy with my the origanal setting.

I wish I had more family memebers to run my cities. I adopt and marry em all but could still use more. In a few turns Im gona have 3 come of age.

dont forget you can bribe rival/rebel family members to join your faction.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2006, 01:16:33 PM »
Another thing I try to do in every game I play is to capture Greece (including the island of Rhodes). I do that for one simple reason.....$. Those regions put out some serious cash.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
the egyptian cities are great for money making.

they always over expand because of the fertile land so that the populace gets unhappy, just keep withdrawing all your troops, attacking and exterminating them.

mucho $$$.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2006, 03:16:29 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
the egyptian cities are great for money making.

they always over expand because of the fertile land so that the populace gets unhappy, just keep withdrawing all your troops, attacking and exterminating them.

mucho $$$.

I used to do that. Now I just keep a 10 unit garrison in cities like that and let the people riot. Thousands die in the riots, several hundred more are used up retraining units. Usually after a couple turns of riots the population has been reduced enough that they will be happy for a short time. Rinse and repeat. ;)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2006, 03:17:41 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
dont forget you can bribe rival/rebel family members to join your faction.

Very true. Even though it is now alot more expensive to do than it was before the first patch came out, it is still a viable way to increase your family members.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
Two questions:

1. Best way to bribe a family member?

2. Where do you guys get your mods from?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2006, 04:12:19 PM »
1. I just use money:D

2. http://www.twcenter.net

go to the forums section and they'll have a section for modding. The one that contains all the RTW mods is: Rome:Total War Hosted Mods

Here's a direct link to it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=214
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2006, 05:00:05 PM »
playing Barbarian invasion as western rome now. My family members have no kids, something ain't right. Anyone seen this ?

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2006, 04:34:16 PM »
Two questions:

1. Best way to bribe a family member?

2. Where do you guys get your mods from?

Just send one of your diplomats to an enemy family member. A screen will open with all your diplomacy options available. Bribe is the first one, assuming that family member *can* be bribed, not all can, but most can be bribed.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2006, 04:53:50 PM »
Meh, Il just continue to kill them and take their settlements. Its easier. :D

Egypt is a pain in the arse! I took Alexandria in a sneak attack. I got all their armies besieging the city now. A few turns to late tho. I just finished Epic Stone Walls. Im sending about half my army on ships now to Egypt held territories while another 1/4 is heading to the Ne corner of the map and then south. Taking more Egypt held territories.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
Another aspect of bribing enemy family members that hasnt been addressed yet is that they (generally speaking) make VERY VERY good governors for certain regions.

Example: You bribe a family member from Gaul, and have him govern a region in Gaul. In this instance they are one of the best choices you could make. Sending that same family member to say.....a city in Greece, isnt likely to have the same effect.

Another aspect of bribery is that it weakens the faction they originally belonged to. In this case, assassination works just as well to weaken your enemy, you just wouldnt get the additional benefit of having a new governor or general.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »
Meh, Il just continue to kill them and take their settlements. Its easier. :D

Egypt is a pain in the arse! I took Alexandria in a sneak attack. I got all their armies besieging the city now. A few turns to late tho. I just finished Epic Stone Walls. Im sending about half my army on ships now to Egypt held territories while another 1/4 is heading to the Ne corner of the map and then south. Taking more Egypt held territories.

If you are trying to take cities quickly before the enemy can react and send armies to attempt to break the siege......try this.......when building your siege equiptment, only build ladders. If your army is large enough you can build 7 ladders per turn. Get those units up on the walls asap and capture a gate. Once you own a city gate, let the hordes loose on the enemy.

Another option is to have siege engines with your army, ie catapults and ballistas. Then you dont have to wait even one turn to make your assault.

I generally use the first option simply because when I do add siege engines to my armies I generally opt to replace missile units instead of infantry or cavalry with the siege engines. Under most circumstances I prefer to have the missile units instead. I do sometimes build armies specifically for assaulting cities, in those cases I will use the siege engines.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2006, 06:11:39 PM »
Defending Alexiandria from Egypt. With a total of 6 full strength armies sitting next to the city they attacked with 3. On the third attempt of over 1,200 soldiers I killed 1,100. The remaining armies cleared out. I then took a settlement west of there. The armies are on their way there now. In the meantime Im going to take all the territories they left behind while they take the settlement in the west back.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2006, 07:05:54 PM »
On the third attempt of over 1,200 soldiers I killed 1,100.

Rock on! :D