Author Topic: Rome:Total War  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Rome:Total War
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2006, 05:30:53 AM »
Originally posted by thrila
In RTR 6.0 Rome is a single faction, so i have the whole might of the Roman Army throwing itself at me.  I've managed to relieve my single army with 2 full armies and transfered my leader to one of them, he's awesome at the moment, with 80+ horses with 3 silver chevrons.  I just destroyed what i thought was the last of the Roman armies and 2 more have popped up!  Is there no end!  I've not actually attacked Rome itself but it's in sight, it's fully fortified so i may leave it and quickly gobble up some smaller cities.  

Carthage have just attacked my only city in North Africa so i'm now fighting 3 factions at the moment, though the Gauls are no longer any real threat.  I'm a  bit miffed that Carthage attacked as they were my largest trading partner, i'm starting to make a loss each turn.  It shouldn't be a problem as i have about 300k in the bank.  Like you i build ecomic buildings first with exception of my first couple of cities for training troops.

My iberian campaign has been great fun so far, it was really tricky at the start being squashed between the gauls and carthage.

Here's a tactic I use against alot of factions.

I move one army up and lay siege to a city. I move a 2nd army up right next to the first one. Now, when a Roman army comes to the aid of the beleagured city, when it attacks, the city garrison can't come out as reinforcements. Most times the enemy army wont even attack. Romans are more prone to attacking in that situation, at least thats my impression.

As the Iberians, I would take no less than 4 armies down the Italian peninsula. The Romans tend to be very aggressive when it comes to defending Italy. Kick them out of Italy and they become much more docile.

Remember MacArthur? Inchon ring a bell? That works very well in RTW. :D

When I went on the offensive against the Greeks, I landed an army at Thermon, laid siege.....then when 3 or 4 Greek armies came a running, I moved my army back onto the fleet. I then sailed the fleet to Sparta and landed the army there. Again, I laid siege, but I only built ladders. The next turn I assaulted before the Greek hordes could get me. :D

After taking Sparta, I built a small garrison, then moved the main army to attack a Greek army that had a General. I couldnt force combat that turn, but the next Greek turn I got attacked by another Greek army with a 7 star general and the first Greek army was reinforcements. Greeks had close to 3000 men, I had a little over 1400 so I let my Legendary Commander fight that one on autoresolve. ;)

PS I might have to try the Iberians, initially it should be alot like playing Carthage since you get the same basic troops. Iberian Infantry, Round Shield Cavalry and Libyan Spearmen. Battles against Roman armies can be very challenging until you get some heavy infantry units.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 05:35:14 AM by Elfie »
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2006, 05:32:04 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Oh DUH!!! I thought that option was there to set the actual size of the troops on the battlemap. thanks a lot, I'll try that out next game!

I thought that too, until I tryed it. I set the unit size to small thinking I might get better frame rates if the troops werent as tall. :D
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2006, 02:37:24 AM »
Hmmm... I changed the units size to 'Huge' and all it did was to show bigger units in the battle map as i thought it would... am I missing an option?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2006, 02:34:19 PM »
You have to select unit scale before starting a game. If you change it for one of your saved games, it has no effect.

I just started a new game, selected huge  for unit scale and I have Hastati units with 160 soldiers instead of the 80 I normally have.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2006, 07:39:57 PM »
Well, thanks for causing my to not leave my house when Im home from work. Im extremely addicted. Playing as the family that owns Northern part of Italy. Currently trying to kill all the gauls while Rome is on my back to blockade sparta. The last thing I need is a war with them . Im sorta disapointed in the naval war part and the city management part. But it makes up for it. I just paid for a subscription for AH and I havnt played more then 2 hours cause Ive been playing this.

I bought Barbarian invasion and alexander while I was at it. Came in a set. I was inpressed with the pricetag increase for the additions of two campains that Im not impressed with.

I still cant figure out how to increase unit size.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2006, 12:36:39 AM »
Like Elfie said (It works thanks!) Go to the advanced video options -> Unit sise is there.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2006, 01:46:23 AM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1

I still cant figure out how to increase unit size. [/B]

Like others said, before you start a new game go into options or what not, go to "unit size," and select Huge.

Word of warning though - I have a system that plays AH2 without a hitch but it stutters fiercely when going to 3x speed on Huge (useful for when you're marching to the enemy).
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2006, 04:11:07 AM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Well, thanks for causing my to not leave my house when Im home from work. Im extremely addicted. Playing as the family that owns Northern part of Italy. Currently trying to kill all the gauls while Rome is on my back to blockade sparta. The last thing I need is a war with them . Im sorta disapointed in the naval war part and the city management part. But it makes up for it. I just paid for a subscription for AH and I havnt played more then 2 hours cause Ive been playing this.

I bought Barbarian invasion and alexander while I was at it. Came in a set. I was inpressed with the pricetag increase for the additions of two campains that Im not impressed with.

I still cant figure out how to increase unit size.

go to war with greece, capture the island E of Greece with the Colossus.  Will give you a 40% increase in revenue from naval trade (being in your location on the Med will mean mucho $$$)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2006, 09:28:24 AM »
Thanks guys.

Any tips on when to take the place of Csear?
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »
when rome feels threatened by you and starts asking you to make your faction leader commit suicide.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2006, 10:14:27 AM »
Thanks.

Im now at war with Gual, Briton, and the Greeks. I can handle them all. Just would rather take one at a time.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
I now own all of Western Europe including Spain and England. I just fnished off the Britons and moving on to kill the Germanic cities. Another family beat me to Athens, It will be my first target down the road when I have to turn on my allies.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2006, 03:21:51 AM »
I wouldnt make the unit size huge until you have played a game or two first.

Biggest reason is the enormous amount of your population that you eat up while first building the army, then retraining it to replace casualties. That can cause severe setbacks in your attempts to build cities up so you can train the more advanced units.

Fighting 3 factions at once? Not to shabby. :D Try the Seluecids sometime. I always end up at war with 4 - 5 factions within the first 20 or so turns.

When you get comfortable, go grab yourself a mod. Plenty out there to download. :)

I'm using the same mod Saintaw is using and I'm liking this one so far.

I started a Greek campaign and first thing I did was attack the Greek Independent Cities faction, that was followed by an attack from Macedonia. Macedonia is already down to 2 cities heh. I think the other Greek faction has 4 cities atm and I have one of those under siege.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2006, 04:57:48 AM »
I actually prefer the large size armies as opposed to the huge because it eats up the population so bad.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »
I tried the huge size armies in a new campain just to see what it looked like. Considering how long it takes for a large scale battle Im happy with my the origanal setting.

I wish I had more family memebers to run my cities. I adopt and marry em all but could still use more. In a few turns Im gona have 3 come of age.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'