Author Topic: Cherry Picking  (Read 4011 times)

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
Cherry Picking
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »
I've heard several arguments of ppl cherrypicking each other.  I have also heard different defintions of a cherry pick.

I usually hear this

A cherry pick is when a guys stays high out of the fray and waits for a easy target.  Once he finds a target he dives in BnZ style and then climbs back up or runs home.

Any other cherry pick type moves that i should be careful of?:noid

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:24:29 PM »
Sounds about right, althouth I'd add that a picker generally 'picks' someone who is already in a fight with someone else.  He gets the 'reward' of the kill, while having done little to none of the work for it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:26:21 PM »
yeah Lgay7 take cherry picking to the next level, since there so fast theyll cruise around co-alt or even below you and try n cherry pick u.
(rule of fighting LA-7 is there is only a fight if they want to fight, because they can run anytime they feel like it)

so its pretty much a cherry picker disguised as a normal con who wants to fight. but he wont fight.
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Cherry Picking
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:36:02 PM »
Cherry picking is a careful art which takes time and dedication to master it's intricate form.  Learn it. Love it. Touch it.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:16 PM »
Originally posted by Messiah
Cherry picking is a careful art which takes time and dedication to master it's intricate form.  Learn it. Love it. Touch it.
:lol

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Cherry Picking
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 07:46:27 PM »
Cherry picking is all part of the game. Fly like a cherry.....some one will make a pie out of yah. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline plink

• Zinc Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 08:25:46 PM »
A cherry, is one that is hung out at the top of his alt with speed near zero.

The picker... is the one that pops the cherry.
Not  necessarily the one below him... More likely someone who has been on the sidelines waiting for an easy kill.

PLINK

:cool:

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:35:39 PM »
My opinion is someone that sits high above the fight and waits until you're engaged and bnz's you.  On the other hand I'll fly high cap over a wounded countryman headed to base and try to chase cons off of his tail OR come in with extra alt and E to protect a countryman but that means STAYING on the cons tail until he is dead or disengages.  So I suppose what I mean here is that a cherry picker is trying to get easy scores a fellow pilot is someone that will put themselves in harms way and stay there until they've cleared someone elses six.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 08:59:32 PM »
It's common for anyone in this game to go through a "period" where cherry picking seems very fun.  One can go land a bunch of cherried scalps and get many wtg's.  I find it extremely lame that many vets continue to do this for years and find it not only acceptable but amusing and entertaining.   Many of these "types" of vets will defend their actions with much vigor calling it flying "smart".   On the other hand there are many of us "vets" that would find that to not only be very unentertaining, but just down right cheap to only fly that way everytime we logged on.   This is not to say that one shouldn't start their sortie in that fashion finishing it on the deck fighting for your right to RTB.  But those who never lose their alt and run even when they're above the enemy cons is usually the sign of an unconfident fighter.  I hear many say, "Well back in WWII, you wouldn't take chances like losing your altitude or flying risky!" 1) I find reading about  many real WWII fighter aces that did quite the contrary.  Yes they flew smart, but also on many occasions you read of some of the best pilots taking great risk to defeat their enemies! 2) This is a game!   In the game of Aces High II I found that getting into that situation where one should not be able to fly out intact, to be the type of adrenalin that makes the game much more enjoyable!  More times than not I'll end a sortie by flying into a situation where survivability has less than a 5% chance, just to experience that kind of "fight for your life" adrenalin!  Although I would like to express that this game is a game of to each his own and it is their $15, so this is just my take on it!  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 09:20:05 PM »
'cherry picking' is just an all too easy excuse for being shot down by your own foolishness. there are  furballing cherries, tactical cherries and  of course there are score potato cherries, but at the end of the day the idea is to shoot people down and you got shot down.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 10:18:15 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
'cherry picking' is just an all too easy excuse for being shot down by your own foolishness. there are  furballing cherries, tactical cherries and  of course there are score potato cherries, but at the end of the day the idea is to shoot people down and you got shot down.

Agreed.   Nice post Bat!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Cherry Picking
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 10:21:45 PM »
Cherry picking usually involves a player who intends to work at landing his ride once ammo or fuel has been exhuasted.  I do it... hell, most of my kills are of enemy who never knew I was there, but I'll fight too if the odds are right.  I find the realism level to be higher, and the overall challenge far greater.  But in the end, it's just another way to play.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »
LOL, lovely thread. A cherry picker is an insult used to attempt to discredit the guy that killed ya cause you didnt check your 6. For every 'cherry picker' theres a dumbarnold cherry...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 11:10:56 PM »
Originally posted by Spatula
LOL, lovely thread. A cherry picker is an insult used to attempt to discredit the guy that killed ya cause you didnt check your 6. For every 'cherry picker' theres a dumbarnold cherry...

Another excellent post.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Cherry Picking
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 11:10:57 PM »
LMAO look at the lamers come out!  Many who "cherry pick" as a way of playing couldn't "fight" their way out of a wet paper bag one on one!  But they sure will "fight" you in words if you simply state an opinion on the topic!  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"