Author Topic: Ah chess pieces  (Read 5332 times)

Offline mentalguy

• Nickel Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
I'd want to be a queen!

I thaught you allready were.
PFC. Corey "Mentalguy" Gibson
USMC

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 09:18:56 AM »
Can't fault Kev here

"Funny thing is the current setup has actually increased numbers lop-sidedness, "

and

But whats worse -
One arena slightly out of whack
or
two arenas out of whack.

any advance on 4 ?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 09:33:37 AM »
kev.. no matter how unbalanced the overall numbers are....

I am finding more good, fairly even fights in a night than I did in a week or two of the old MA 3 potatods all hiding from each other gameplay.

Lots of good, lasting fights to be found in the early and mid war arena with peer pressure actually working some for a change.

lynx... I do not claim to know what happens in euro time.  I am sorry if it doesn't work out for euros... perhaps no holds barred after a certain U.S. time?  I wouldn't want to be part of that but... I am not a euro.

unrelated... why do you suppose there is no euro game to compete with AH?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »
Well lazs would have to say -

a) It may be working for the EW
b) "Sometimes" works for the MW, but as has been shown in this thread, more often it isn't.
c) Isn't working in the LWs

I would guess as the numbers of arenas increase so will the numbers problem.

Basically a fix for the old MA has resulted in the same problem but magnified in 3 out of 4 arenas.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
that doesn't make sense kev...  we are all finding better fights except the mega squads who never wanted good fights to begin with..

No matter how many people we get... smaller arenas are healthier.. that is the point.  people get to know each other better so tend to be a little more polite and less into griefing..  

I say that if the problem is getting worse for you then you are probly part of the original problem and are taking that attitude with you into the new arenas.

lazs

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 10:25:17 AM »
Game against my long time on-line allies and fellow Pigs?... nah. This is HTs problem to address, not mine.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 10:28:52 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
that doesn't make sense kev...  we are all finding better fights except the mega squads who never wanted good fights to begin with..

No matter how many people we get... smaller arenas are healthier.. that is the point.  people get to know each other better so tend to be a little more polite and less into griefing..  

I say that if the problem is getting worse for you then you are probly part of the original problem and are taking that attitude with you into the new arenas.

lazs

We are all finding better fights?

Pretty broad brush there, suggest you re-think as it's patently untrue.

Part of the problem - Perhaps, if that means the option of not getting into one LW arena because of caps and booted into another where my country is vastly outnumbered, yup I'm part of the problem.

Please don't give the old well theres the MW and EW arenas - If I wanted to go there I'd go there first.

In all honesty - Our squad has started doing our squad nights in the MW because we can't our our "mega-squad" LOL (10 guys or so out of 32 online squad night) into the one of the LW arenas.
An NO we won't switch sides, so it works for and against us depending on numbers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:38:00 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 10:35:21 AM »
How about this:

Players that have never, ever changed countries are logged into THEIR country when they login.

Players that have switched countries in the past (this could have a threshold set on it along with a time span) would be assigned to the country with the least number of players on it.

This way the free agents would not have to log in, see the numbers, and switch countries....it's done for them.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »
Originally posted by Donzo
How about this:

Players that have never, ever changed countries are logged into THEIR country when they login.

Players that have switched countries in the past (this could have a threshold set on it along with a time span) would be assigned to the country with the least number of players on it.

This way the free agents would not have to log in, see the numbers, and switch countries....it's done for them.

Would work with one addition -
Once in the arena disable their ability to switch sides again, just to prevent people logging in under one country then switching once inside.
If they want to change they have to logout of the arena and take their chances when logging back in again.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:48:03 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 10:48:04 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2

lazs

LOL!!!!    it really doesn,t get any better than this.  the best entertainment on the web!!  does ht read this guys stuff?
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 11:20:32 AM »
Lazs is a highly respected PR officer, show him some courtesy! :furious

:D

the best way to help is to BALANCE THE SIDES. its not hard, just type {dot}country 1,2 or 3, which ever has the least numbers.

in the old MA i understand people wanting to fly for one country, but now... you can be knights in LW1 and Bish in MW, both at the same time.

Its nobody's ffault but the players if there is unbalance.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 11:52:56 AM »
i don't know how assigning players who frequently switch to even numbers is helping anything, they already do that willingly, they are not the issue.  the issue comes into play when there is a large number imbalance and people refuse to switch.  whatever the reason it doesn't matter, people who refuse to switch are part of the problem when it comes to number imbalances.  eny was designed to combat this, and guess which people have a problem with that.  so you can assign all the reasons you want to not switching, yet the problem remains.  HT in the past has tried to implement features into the game to keep numbers more even, yet that too is met with many complaints. so what is left for things to try, just auto assign everyone like in almost every other game that i can think of?  ya, that would go over well.  it just seems many avenues regarding this issue have run their course and it comes down to the community to make this issue right. a quick glance at the bbs and i'm sure that won't work either.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
Geez -

When are you guys going to realise -

For whatever reason it doesn't appear like most people want to change sides.
Various incentives have been tried none have worked.
So take it as a given it isn't going to happen.

The question should be -
How should the arenas be setup so we can get as balanced numbers as possible in each one, given that most won't change sides.

It obvious the current setup DOESN'T.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 12:52:48 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
Its nobody's ffault but the players if there is unbalance.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 01:02:32 PM »
So it's still on me to play fair.

I can't expect HTC to fix it as there are too many folks who as SaVaGe pointed out, want the easy button.  There is comfort and safety in the horde.

I can't change it.  Country cap limits would be about the only thing that could help if people aren't going to change on thier own.   But chances are that will only increase the whining about not being able to play their way.

So I can't worry about it anymore.  I do my part by going to low numbers side with my squad.

Not sure what else I can do outside of that.

I'm still finding all kinds of fun, and I'm still not quitting :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters