Author Topic: Ah chess pieces  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2006, 12:55:01 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I'm going to call BS. There are 2 countries, and you had an issue with people (or just a single person) on one, so you won't help the other?
Like many people, you've arbitrarily settled on some idiotic rationale or other, and that's why we have severe imbalances.

Well even with relatively even numbered sides ( B 40+/R 50+/K40+) you still dont get what you'd like to class as fair and balanced.

Look at tonights LW1, this wasn't for a minute or so, was like this the 3 hours I was there...

Sort of blows the even numbers = fair and balanced theory, doesn't it.

Was basically 50 Bish v everyone else.

The reasons are valid why we wouldn't goto this certain country, whether you like it or not.
No it wasn't a single person but the attitude of some of the larger more veteran squads.
Put it this way - it's the only country I've seen deliberately thin out a cap to try to encourage uppers so they could vultch some more.

And beleive it or not each country has it's own particular feel and character to it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:01:01 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Well even with relatively even numbered sides ( B 40+/R 50+/K40+) you still dont get what you'd like to class as fair and balanced.

Look at tonights LW1, this wasn't for a minute or so, was like this the 3 hours I was there...

Was basically 50 Bish v everyone else.

The reasons are valid why we wouldn't goto this certain country, whether you like it or not.
No it wasn't a single person but the attitude of some of the larger more veteran squads.
Put it this way - it's the only country I've seen deliberately thin out a cap to try to encourage uppers so they could vultch some more.

And beleive it or not each country has it's own particular feel and character to it.

I've flown them all, for months or years at a time, and I'm still calling BS. As I said, you picked your rationale for not helping solve the problem, and that type of mentality is why we've got one.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2006, 06:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th

Nope, it does clearly indicate that the root cause of the unfair gameplay is the result of player activity though. It also clearly proves what so many of us have been saying...the majority of players (maybe a higher majority in LW) do not want "fairness", they merely want the safety of the gang.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2006, 06:40:59 AM »
yayyyy!!! edbert gets it finally!!! ding ding!

people are people so why should it be...you and i should get along so awfully??? - depeche mode

hehehehehe

seriously...logged into MW other night...numbers fairly even but knits/rook with major fight that occupied most players...i could:

1) jump to knit/rook but end up imbalancing numbers
2) milkrun knit/rook hoping to pull some off but end up with the country i attack having an equivalent of a gangbang against them.

so i goto lw2 (actually directed there by randoomizer)...bish undermanned...but for the life of me cant find any decent fights...overall numbers too low and i get bored of chasing darbars....

i pop out and manage to sneak into lw1...bish heavily outnumbering others but fights abound!!!!  all our fronts under attack..woot!!!  so i stay and have a good time though our advantage seems quite high numberwise...eny is in effect but la5 is fun!

so yes edbert...the root problem is that people only have a short period of tiime to find fun... and equalizing numbers but not finding fun is not fun....

LW1 and LW2 need to be fixed though...we will never have stability in numbers with a randomizer distributing folks around...MW is the best right now because at least folks can log in and know what will happen.  remmember that before the arena changes there were even numbers in the MA...so balancing an arena is something that the community is capable of given the right tools and situation.

what would help squads would be cross arena vox...that would rock hitech..then if guys couldnt necesaarily get into all the same arena they could still "hang out" together:aok
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2006, 07:03:53 AM »
Originally posted by calan
I think it should just be two sides: Queens and Pawns... then nobody would want to be on any side   :lol

But the queen is the most powerful chess piece...
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2006, 07:36:49 AM »
Originally posted by LYNX
bish-8
knight-24
rook-53

Yer.... bit of a bugger that

I (rook) looked in and logged out.  I looked in because LW blue was being rolled similarly by a load of bish.  Twas after midnight UK so went to bed.

Logged in last night (knight) saw similar situations in both LW arenas.
First. I thought I'd been kicked from the one arean that had more numbers to the LW arena with less numbers.

Dont remember the excact brakdown of numbers but next to nothign was going on on the knit-rook front and it looked like the bush had two fronts going. Knits were hording bish on that front and looked like a similar situation might be going on on the Rook-Bish front.

Took two flights against rooks to see if I could stir up a good fight But nothing doing.

Switched arenas to see if there was a better fight going on there. But the situations was there the knits were being horded.

Waited a few min to see if a green darbar grew anywhere to provided even a decent chance of a good fight. But nothing.
So I logged off.

I had no desire to be part of or victim of the horde gangbang all night long

And Yes I have loyalty to a chess peice.
Like it, dont like it, agree with it, or dont agree with it. I dont really care.
But when I join a side I decide that is my side and these are my enemies. In this case its the enemies are Bish and Rook.
For me it adds to the imersion level.

Now this isnt a whine but just personal feeling and opinion.

I dont like the new setup and find myself playing less and less.

The problem in my eyes seems to be that maybe before there were too many people to cram into one arena.
Now weve gone  too far on the opposite direction where there are too many arenas for the number of people that play

My suggestion would be to reduce the amount of arenas by half.
And just have 2 MAs and get rid of the Early and mid war arenas
Orrr.
 Have 2 LW MAs and 1 Early to mid war Arena

If the playerbase grows. you can always add more arenas
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline calan

• Copper Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2006, 07:46:02 AM »
Originally posted by Messiah
But the queen is the most powerful chess piece...

Not in AH... unless they were relegated to flying 262's   :)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2006, 07:53:55 AM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING
yayyyy!!! edbert gets it finally!!! ding ding!

people are people so why should it be...you and i should get along so awfully??? - depeche mode

hehe

"Can't we all just get along!" - Rodney King 1992
Hee heee hee

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »
hmm...  ya know it is not the overall numbers that make for good gameplay...

It is good gameplay that makes for good gameplay..  the whordes who insist on flying with all their "friends"  ruined gameplay in the old MA... it didn't matter that the numbers overall were even most of the time..

there was never a good fite because their idea of gameplay was safety in numbers and sneak.    It was two or three whordes circle jerking at undefended feilds...   if a real fight broke out they did there best to end it with suicide runs on the FH's or the CV.

boner claims my posts about the current gameplay are funny...  seems most everyone here that isn't married to a chess peice and the gameplay of "numbers is everything" is agreeing that we are finding more and better action and that the people, for the most part, are more fun and polite to fly with.

I flew with overlag yesterday...  helped him out even...  what is wrong with that?    If you never switch you never get to talk to your nemisis.

If you ever flew with a country and it left a bad taste then it was probly because you wanted to have things your way kev.  

I flew with the knits... when they just wanted to take a field I moved to the next fight... no big deal... when the numbers were more even I "helped" by killing lots of red planes... that does not mean I was there to help take the field... when red planes stopped upping... I left.  no big deal...  

In the old MA slum it was allmost impossible to find an area where there was real action... the more on.... the worse it got.  The more that got on the more they huddled together like little girls and hid from each other while runway diving in late war planes that are immune to ack.

laughable....  they caused the problem and now they want to continue it and have more opportunity to do it...

Where the hell did these type of simmers come from?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2006, 08:44:48 AM »
Funny indeed Falc, this is what we've been saying all along...that the players were the root cause of the unfair gameplay...glad you've come to see it that way too.
Originally posted by lazs2

That's just it Lazs...the new generation of AHer is not a simmer...they're gamers.

What I don't understand is the mentality where some see that trouncing some players with overwhelming odds and giving your opponent little chance to win is somehow fun in the first place. To me, I always thought gaming was more akin to sporting, where the playing field is roughly even. THAT is where the fun of defeating your opponent comes from (for me at least), and even when you get beat you know you had a sporting chance and it makes you want to learn more or try harder next time. Steamrolling bases and hiding in the horde is no more fun than being steamrolled or ganged by the horde; again, speaking for myself only.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »

lazs

First-person shooters.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2006, 10:29:38 AM »

In the old MA slum it was allmost impossible to find an area where there was real action... the more on.... the worse it got.  The more that got on the more they huddled together like little girls and hid from each other while runway diving in late war planes that are immune to ack.

laughable....  they caused the problem and now they want to continue it and have more opportunity to do it...

lazs

lol lazs....the old ma had the best fights and nonstop action 24/7.  while i can respect Hitech's decisions to experiment with the game arenas to increase subscriber base...im afraid i cant let you and the other 5-6 guys who nonstop post this drivel to rewrite history...not only was there nonstop fun and fights...but up to 600+ people a night loved it!!! the only little girl i can see is you..because you cant handle the dynamics of such an arena and your silly attitude that anything better then a woobiecane or fm2 is "easy mode" prevented you from finding out why so many loved it!!!

the best thing, that i do miss, was that we didnt have to take it upon ourselves to create battles...they were there 24/7...what i see now is guys on ch200 having to orchestrate fights..."ok 2 of you change to knits and then we will lift off a1--->a5 and dont fly above 5k" "hey now you have more guys on then we do...tell them to stay out til we are done...i just want a 1v1" (i love that btw..always have to bite my lip..we have dynamic opne arenas but guys will tell others to stay out) the guys in EW/MW know exactly what i mean...i hope this corrects itself and fights just occur like they used to.
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Zwerg

• Copper Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
If you pay attention to chesspiece in icon, the two are usually pretty distinguishable.
[...]

Autsch! Nach ca. 5 Jahren Aces High tut dat richtig weh! :o

I think I'm a dolt.

:confused:

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2006, 12:04:10 PM »

If you ever flew with a country and it left a bad taste then it was probly because you wanted to have things your way kev.  

lazs

If you'd actually bothered to read on you would have seen one of the reasons -

They deliberately thinned out the cap at a field to try to get some uppers so they could vultch some more.

Another one -

When they were vulching a field a squaddie snuck a goon in (after a 75 mile flight) and took it, to be met with howls of derision about it stopping them vulching.

Next day we swapped BACK to Bish.

As usual you read what you want to without getting the bigger picture.

I'll put a suggestion to you -
If we are to have equal numbers the ONLY way to ensure fairness is to go to only 2 countries.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:07:18 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Ah chess pieces
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2006, 12:10:16 PM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING
lol lazs....the old ma had the best fights and nonstop action 24/7.  while i can respect Hitech's decisions to experiment with the game arenas to increase subscriber base...

Isn't that off the mark a bit? The arenas were changed specifically because the numbers and their social impact in generating a slum atmosphere.

I haven't seen anywhere that HTC has made the changes to ramp up the subscriber base.