Author Topic: american homeing bullets  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
american homeing bullets
« on: August 26, 2001, 05:45:00 AM »
Did any Tiffie or Yak driver noticed , that about 5 bullets from .50 cal from dist. over 700 yards into your TAIL will take out your ENGINE,RADIATOR ?   :rolleyes:

btw.: i saw dark green p47 yesterday. He got 5 ping from Tiffies hispanos 2 left wing, 1 right wing 2 directly engine, it was about 250 .... he had no damage.....

Seems GOD realy love those nuclear bastards   :cool:

Orel

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2001, 06:48:00 AM »
You can imagine how the LW fliers feel like towards the WHOLE allied guys  :D

ps) OOPS! was that a whine?  :D

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2001, 09:32:00 AM »
Rosey the Riviter could make planes better than Igor, the German Slave could.

Don't you watch TV?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2001, 09:42:00 AM »
HTC...my airplane not good like other plane , please fix

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
Yet for some obscure reason the LA7 seems particularly resistant to 50 cal fighter. Who ever was biasing the game against the Russians missed one I guess.
Will be interesting to see if the P39 and P40 come in non magic bullet varieties for the russians

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
american homeing bullets
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2001, 09:45:00 AM »
If you hear 1 ping it can mean that you were hit with 1 bullet... or 10.

.50 has very good predictable trajectory, and with them it is easy to hit at big distances... but I still prefer cannons big time, they make snapshots easier.

Fariz

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
american homeing bullets
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
Look people before we leap at each others throats with accusations of collaboration with the enemy(add your prefered hated group of flyers here) why dont we take a look at what we all have a problem with?

you say you was hit on the tail and your engine gives out...suggest take a look at damage model
the 190s also suffer from this 1 hit engine out or oil hit engine dies in a second...suggest take a look at damage model
p38 seems to have a glass tail, ive noticed that if you hit the tail you EXPECT it to fall off.(i like it as im LW but must admit it does seem a little easy to take off and i aim for the tail).....suggest look at damage model
we had a slight change on armour for the ground vehicles and now the once weak M16 is now a titanium bunker   :)....suggest look at damage model
I think we are falling into the old trap , we each have our favourites and we fly them so much that eventually you notice when certain things happen all the time on that particular aircraft.the russian guys seem to have a similar problem to what the 190 guys have.The p38 has a similar problem to what the M3/M16 had.
Lets just ask pyro to check the model for us instead of accusing them of trying to ruin the game for us.
Its not wrong of me to suspect the damage model isnt perfect because we have seen quite clearly with the panzers/ostys/M16s armour it wasnt behaving correctly.Im not trying to run the game down i just want it as fair as possible.When i see my engine quit the moment the oil is hit,or 1 ack hit immediately kills my engine/takes tail off 90% of the time.I hit a p38 on the tail with light cals and it folds etc i tend to want it looked at to see if its just me or theres something that needs adjusting.

lets just get together and request it instead of bickering about LWwhiners or whats the new one for russian whiners? sheeesh its like kindergarden!

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: hazed- ]

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
I probly shoot as many planes with browning fifties as anyone  and i take every shot no matter how tough.   Here is what I've found.

The most fragile plane to fifties by a large margin is the spitfire.   Any deflection shot will shred it.  from the rear the same burst will only cause light damage.

the zeke is tougher by far than the spit.   All the German planes act the same to fifties.   If they even take damage...They will lose (oil smoke) an engine after a good burst but taking off a wing or killing the pilot is about as tough as a P51 or F6f.   Lags are fairly tough and niks are WAY to tough to fifties.   A p47 is much easier to kill with fifties than a nik.  

A cannon potato shooting my cripples will allways... er 90% of the time... get the kill.

all the above are using 6 browning fifties zeroed in at 450 yards.
lazs

Offline Guinness

• Zinc Member
      • http://wakeup.to/guinness
american homeing bullets
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »
Last night in my 190, i was strafing M16s.  I got a good few kills, but i could never get more than 3 or 4 m16s, before i would have to emergency land my plane, for radiator, or engine oil, or the insta-quit engine.

This i can understand, because my engine is the point nearest the GV, and hes aiming for the largest part of my cross section.

A plane on my 6 however, is behind me and firing at the rear of my cross section.  He cant really see my engine from that angle, so how does it get hit?

Then there are the HO, im heading towards a plane, both aiming at the front of each others plane and my rear fuselage section will come off and my engine will be fine.

I think the way bullets hit other planes needs to be worked on, and im sure HTC will be using my $15 a month investment to put that right   ;)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
american homeing bullets
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Fuselage = Large round/oval structure that all other parts are attached to. Ussually lightly built of stresed metal (aluminum) riveted to metal frames. Bolted on the front is a very large engine.

Now I don't know about you guys, but it's not so hard for me to visuallise a bullet entering the fuse from the rear, punctureing the skin, and running forward till it hits the first really solid object. IE the engine.

Yes it has a cockpit, wing spar attachments, control/fuel/hydraulic lines. But for the most part that fuse is EMPTY space!

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »
Did any Tiffie or Yak driver noticed , that about 5 bullets from .50 cal from dist. over 700 yards into your TAIL will take out your ENGINE,RADIATOR ?

From what I've seen, this is the case in most planes. In my 51 the first thing to go when shot from my 6oc is usually the radiator or engine 75 to 80% of the time from any distance. And when I shoot someone from 6oc I usually smoke them as opposed to killin them with the exception of the 38 which usually loses his tail.

I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy. Just a sometimes frustrating flaw in the damage model that hasn't been found yet.

Bane

Offline CJ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/typhoonc77
american homeing bullets
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
Where's the radiator in the P-51?  The rear fuselage.  A 109's radiator?  Under the wing.  The Spitfire's?  Under the wing.  What about the Yak?  Isn't that in the rear fuselage too?  Lots of planes would seem to be very vulnerable to a rear shot.  Does anyone know where all of the oil coolers are located for these planes?  This might also be an issue.

Bottom line is, the rear aspect radiator shots are not that unlikely to with those planes.  Now, granted, it's a little strange with the 190, but isn't the oil tank mounted in the fuselage?  If so, is it protected from rear aspect shots as well as the annular oil cooler in the cowl is from frontal shots?  If not, then a rear aspect shot wouldn't really protect it from a .50 cal.  At a 10 gallon capacity it wouldn't empty too fast unless the pressure wave of the shot cracked or split the tank, which i'd imagine is possible depending on the welds and thickness of the metal.  Anyone have any details on the oil tank for the 190?

CJ

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
american homeing bullets
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2001, 06:16:00 PM »
The 190D9 engine is magnetic. It attracts metal cased bullets. It can get knocked out from 6 shots even, with no other damage to the plane.?

I find it amazing how often I lose my engine to a few pings.

I find even more amazing I just said this.

---

Mr.Fish Smells like my Cats Ass. My Fish smells like my girlfriend.- Harry Dardo (Moline, Iowa Bowling Champion, Owner, Harry's Stump Removal Service)

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
american homeing bullets
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
Creamo, if you are being serious (which I sort of doubt)- I haven't seen it.  I seem to lose my Radiator a lot in the D9, but only the A5 and A8 seem to have the magnetically charged engines (at least it sure seems that way   ;)).  

The P51 seems to get its radiator hit pretty often to, but I've read that that was the case in real life as well, which is why it wasn't such a hot ground attack plane.  Maybe the same thing for the 190d9?

Oh, and Hazed- The P38 DOES seem to be very very weak structurally.  I can take them out fairly easily with 5-6 pings from the TWO MG's that are mounted on the nose of the 190d9 and the 109G10.  Imagine how fast 6 .50s would knock the tail off...

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Urchin ]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
american homeing bullets
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
I rarely point out flaws in AH, too much good stuff, but I spend 90% of my flights in a Dora. That result is fact. MAke of it what you will, just seems odd.