Author Topic: Can you stand after being tased?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Can you stand after being tased?
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Had he been violent in such a way that he actually attempted to assult the officers. I would say fine. zap away

But Yelling and refusing to move inand of itself is not a violent act.

As such Violence at least at that particular level is as of yet unwarranted.

I can understand how anyone would want the pain to be all one way.
But And as I said. The risk of receiving violence comes with the job
Its what your paid for
Exactly why you cant sue your police Dept of your shot in the line of duty.
that danger. Comes with the job.

That does does not justify being the first to initiate violence.
At least not on that level.

Particularly repeatedly. Once he was tases the first time he should have then been physically sudued and cuffed. There certainly were enough police there to accomplish this.

Any time you shoot someone with electricity. you are risking a danger of lethality or causing permanent damage.
And especially when its repeated.

I feel for cops. I really do. they have one hell of a tough job and I sure as hell wouldnt want it.

Was this kid wrong? Helll yea.
But that doesnt make these particular cops right.

Had he or if it is shown he tried to take a swing at one of them I would and will be be in full support of the use of the taser as many times as it took for him to be less physically agressive.

But sitting and yelling is not an overtly agressive act
As such I cannot find any legitimate justification for a repeated tasing other then because they could do it.

the Taser I am sure can be a great tool when used under the correct circumstances.

I just dont see that situation as being the correct circumstances.
Certainly not repeadedly anyway

Just because you can do something does not always mean you should.

Well said.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2006, 06:42:48 PM »

I think cops do have the right to initiate violence, depending on the situation of course. They should use no more force than necessary though to enforce the law and protect themselves and citizens.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »
Had he been violent in such a way that he actually attempted to assult the officers. I would say fine. zap away

But Yelling and refusing to move inand of itself is not a violent act.

As such Violence at least at that particular level is as of yet unwarranted.

I can understand how anyone would want the pain to be all one way.
But And as I said. The risk of receiving violence comes with the job
Its what your paid for
Exactly why you cant sue your police Dept of your shot in the line of duty.
that danger. Comes with the job.

At least not on that level.

Particularly repeatedly. Once he was tases the first time he should have then been physically sudued and cuffed. There certainly were enough police there to accomplish this.

Any time you shoot someone with electricity. you are risking a danger of lethality or causing permanent damage.
And especially when its repeated.

I feel for cops. I really do. they have one hell of a tough job and I sure as hell wouldnt want it.

Was this kid wrong? Helll yea.
But that doesnt make these particular cops right.

Had he or if it is shown he tried to take a swing at one of them I would and will be be in full support of the use of the taser as many times as it took for him to be less physically agressive.

But sitting and yelling is not an overtly agressive act
As such I cannot find any legitimate justification for a repeated tasing other then because they could do it.

the Taser I am sure can be a great tool when used under the correct circumstances.

I just dont see that situation as being the correct circumstances.
Certainly not repeadedly anyway

Just because you can do something does not always mean you should.

The only problem I have with this is that cops can't be wrong.

EVER.  

You arent a cop, you dont know what it is like.  How DARE you say they are human and might make mistakes!  How DARE you!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2006, 07:45:42 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
An Auckland policeman attending a domestic dispute in Auckland accidentally blasted himself and a teenager with a Taser, before pepper-spraying an innocent woman.

Barney Fife lives on! LMAO
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »
Barney Fife lives on! LMAO

OK, I realize you are a Democrat communist and you hate your country and the police.  But please, please stop slandering our fine, selfless men in blue.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
OK, I realize you are a Democrat communist and you hate your country and the police.  But please, please stop slandering our fine, selfless men in blue.

LMAO that is hillarious

Not 3 days ago someone on the boards accused me of being a NEOCON

that tells me I must have things just about right ;)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2006, 08:20:36 PM »
No you Klinton wannabe!  He said NEO-COM!  

Like NEOPINKO!!!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2006, 08:24:29 PM »
Oh, My bad

Oh well. my old next door neighbor accused me of being right winged last week
And shes about as far left as they get
does that count?
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2006, 11:02:42 PM »
First Rolex,

Listen to the tape. The first 30 seconds and there is no obvious tazing that I could tell. There were orders to get up and the suspect yelling very loudly not to touch him. The scenario you outlined is not the case.

Dred,

I'd like to direct you back to the same time frame. Do you think that there was no action that went with the loud demands by the suspect to not touch him. Something like a rather vigorous yanking back out of the Officers hands? Yep it's an assumption on my part since you can't see anything on the video but it's based on experiance.

As to the idea that someone takes the job and has to expect to be assaulted for no good reason, BS on that. You are expected to take on a risk, not to simply be assaulted because someone thinks their tantrum warrants assaulting you. They weren't hired to be a punching bag or be shot any more than a fireman is hired to be burned alive.

Finally I find a far greater risk of injury to the suspect in having to fight them than simply tazing them. You may feel differently but then again you haven't had to do the job either. You might try it some time, check to see if there is a reserve Police operation in your area and sign up. You might have a different perspective on it after having to fight someone then go to take care of your injuries just because some "person" decided they wanted to make a point or figured that because you're just a cop they have the right to assault you because that's what you're paid for.

Now at this time I think the horse is pretty dead and I'm done with it. Some of you feel the cops involved are total jerks yet place little blame on the person who was responsible for the entire situation. He's now a victim to you, and you have bought into it. He got what he wanted, a scene, notoriety and I'm sure he'll also get money out of it as well, all for being an ****** and throwing a tantrum in public. He won't be held responsible for his actions as the blame has been transfered to others who were called there because of him.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »
lol neo com lol
u commie
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline M36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »
The witness acounts that I have read  all say that he was not tased by having the prongs shot at him. He was "drive stunned" which has a different effect but is still painfull and is used as  pain compliance. A drive stun does not cause incapacitation like being "tased" would, for the length of the tase.

Other witnesses said that before the actual campus police officers got there, the original security people that initiated the contact with him were not officers. When he  refused to produce the ID card these security people called for the campus police and they apparently met with the same resistance.

Dred, your right,  just sitting and refusing to leave is not a violent act but it is an act of passisve resistance. How many times did the officers tell him to stand up? Had he just stood up and walked out with the officers he would have spared himself being stunned. To go back even farther, had he shown is student ID as originaly requested there would have been no need to call the campus officers.

The officers started with no force at all by asking him to get up. He refused and the force level increased increased to the drive stun. Rules for use of the taser differ for each dept. For us, the person has to be "actively aggresive".

In looking at the tape it I  get the idea that it was a set up. He refuses to show his student ID card to security officers, campus police show up, he still refuses to stand up and leave, he is drive stunned, screams, the camera comes out of the cubicle and films mostly audio of him screaming while the officers repeatedly tell him to stand up. He draws a crowd, and gets crowd sympathy. Since it was in a library and a very quiet place he gets more bang for the buck sort of speak because his dramatic scene was intentionaly loud. An outburst in a normaly loud place would not have the same impact.

The officers and security people didnt start this, they reacted to his choices. It was well thought out and done in a place with a lot of people for the crowd and his yelling was the "look what the evil police are doing to the poor student" He povoked the situation and they dealt with it which was just his plan.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:40:01 AM by M36 »
“Honesty is like a good horse, it’ll work anyplace you hook it”

Ben Johnson  1917-1996

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2006, 12:38:48 AM »
Perhaps the "bright" college boy should have sowed his ID in the first place, why blame law enforcement after the fact?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2006, 01:06:03 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick

Dred,

I'd like to direct you back to the same time frame. Do you think that there was no action that went with the loud demands by the suspect to not touch him. Something like a rather vigorous yanking back out of the Officers hands? Yep it's an assumption on my part since you can't see anything on the video but it's based on experiance.

As to the idea that someone takes the job and has to expect to be assaulted for no good reason, BS on that. You are expected to take on a risk, not to simply be assaulted because someone thinks their tantrum warrants assaulting you. They weren't hired to be a punching bag or be shot any more than a fireman is hired to be burned alive.

Yanking back is still not an assult on your person. He could have simply been pinned on the ground. inasmuch as he was already sitting anyway. This shouldnt have been too difficult.
that was after all the problem wasnt it. It was the orders I repeadedly heard told to him "Get up"

Someone sitting on the ground is nowhere near the threat as someone standing.
I wouldnt even had as much of a problem with it if he was tazed once.
but after that there has to be a moment where he was at the very least in a prone position laying on the ground. At which point he should have been cuffed and not tased over and over again.

I did not say that you should expect to be assaulted. Nor did I ever say anyone had the right to assault you becasuse it was your job
Any more then I said you should expect to be shot.
But. Just like a fireman runs the risk of being burned alive
That risk comes with the job.
If you are unwilling to accept that risk as part of the job , dont do the job.
If anyone is unwilling to accept that risk as part of the job. they shouldnt be doing the job

It does not give you the right to assault  or shoot anyone else first who is not first posing a threat to you. Period
Sitting down and refusing to move is not a threat to you. pulling his arms away from you while sitting down is not a threat to you.

If someone strikes out at you or any cop. By all means. beat the crap out of him or Taz away with my bessing.

Untill that happens
While I agree they dont have the right to assault you.
You also do not have the right to assault first.

In this case I can forgive and even tolerate the first tasing.
But at that point  he should have been cuffed and lead or dragged out if need be.
Not repeatedly tased over and over again.

Thats where I draw the line as did the people in that video.
Like I said before. Take note that nobody had more then an interest in what was going on untill they kept repeatedly tasing him.
Thats when it became exessive

And for what? Sitting there and refusing to get up?
Sorry I dont buy that as a threatening move other then to perhaps an overdeveloped ego.
Could've zapped him once. then while he as down. Pinned and cuffed him and hauled him away and he in the world of public opinion would have looked like the arse he was. And the cops would have come off as just having to have done an unpleasant job
And everyone would have been talking about this jerk that got arrested and not how these cops kept exessively zapping this kid over and over.

and thats what the general consencus is.
Not that the kid wasnt wrong. Everyone agrees with that. As I have repeatedly stated in this thread
The Kid was wrong. But the Cops were wrong too
Just because the kid was wrong dosnt make the cops right in how they ended up handleing it

The problem is people see how the cops reacted as having gone overboard. And thus by their own actions turned a jerk. into a victim
Thats what those students there were reacting to.They were reacting to the repeated tasing itself. Not what the dopy kid was screaming inbeween.
In asking for the badge numbers what they were really trying to say was "Enough"
 And rightly so.

This wasnt an angry mob these guys were operating around.
but it very well could have become one.

Already admitted you guys have a tough job that I wouldnt want

and if it comes out that this kid was swinging at the cops when they tried to subdue him Ill back off my opinion on this incident and say they did what they had to do.

If not. then I'll stand by my opinion that they were right in what they were trying to do. But got carried away in doing it.

I dont expect many cops to agree with me.
 Unless the evidence is absolutely irrefutable, Or the cop has been found ot have been involved inpedophillia, or dealing drugs to kids. or murder
Cops just wont speak out against other cops.

And while I can appreciate that brotherhood and all that.
It  is a bit concerning because they are supposed to Serve and protect the public. From everyone.
Whats wrong is wrong. should matter the color of the shirt a person wears or if there is a badge on it or not.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:22:54 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline type_char

• Copper Member
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2006, 01:14:46 AM »
If he couldnt stand, why not just drag him out of there instead of make a big scene. Seems like the cops were poorly trained or used bad procedures. Maybe theyre rookies and tasing people gives them a sense of empowerment?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2006, 01:20:30 AM »
Originally posted by M36
The witness acounts that I have read  all say that he was not tased by having the prongs shot at him. He was "drive stunned" which has a different effect but is still painfull and is used as  pain compliance. A drive stun does not cause incapacitation like being "tased" would, for the length of the tase.

Other witnesses said that before the actual campus police officers got there, the original security people that initiated the contact with him were not officers. When he  refused to produce the ID card these security people called for the campus police and they apparently met with the same resistance.

Dred, your right,  just sitting and refusing to leave is not a violent act but it is an act of passisve resistance. How many times did the officers tell him to stand up? Had he just stood up and walked out with the officers he would have spared himself being stunned. To go back even farther, had he shown is student ID as originaly requested there would have been no need to call the campus officers.

The officers started with no force at all by asking him to get up. He refused and the force level increased increased to the drive stun. Rules for use of the taser differ for each dept. For us, the person has to be "actively aggresive".

In looking at the tape it I  get the idea that it was a set up. He refuses to show his student ID card to security officers, campus police show up, he still refuses to stand up and leave, he is drive stunned, screams, the camera comes out of the cubicle and films mostly audio of him screaming while the officers repeatedly tell him to stand up. He draws a crowd, and gets crowd sympathy. Since it was in a library and a very quiet place he gets more bang for the buck sort of speak because his dramatic scene was intentionaly loud. An outburst in a normaly loud place would not have the same impact.

The officers and security people didnt start this, they reacted to his choices. It was well thought out and done in a place with a lot of people for the crowd and his yelling was the "look what the evil police are doing to the poor student" He povoked the situation and they dealt with it which was just his plan.

Ok first Im going to  say yes. the kid was wrong absolutely 110%
the problem I have is in using a taz on someone who is not  as you said "Actively agressive"
That. to me makes sense

If he is not being actively agressive. Pin the tard tot he floor, cuff him and drag his butt out. If he physically resists to this. then yea. Taz his arse if you HAVE to. THEN cuff him.
Zapping him over and over again to me. is still going overboard.
If hes already on the floor he is a greatly reduced threat if any

I dunno if it was planned or not. Maybe by the kid. As for the person working the the cam it reminds me more of a kid recording somethign for  "hey check out this nut in the library today." Then it got real interesting
And "oh I gotta get a shot of this"

Personally I think if it was conspired. That camera would have been front and center catching everything.
But I could be wrong. Thats just my opinion.

And Im not trying to be disrespectful of Cops. Im really not.
As I said before. Im going by that first video alone
but I still maintain that just because they can do something doesnt mean they should
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty